Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Confused about formats and ebooks

I'm sorry if this topic has been explained before, which I think it must have been; if so, could someone please just direct me to the relevant thread(s)?

I was very happy to receive my new Sony 300 Reader 2 days ago, and I have been happily reading an ebook I purchased through the Sony Store (One Minute to Midnight). I decided to purchase another book through Short Covers (The Book of Negroes), and it does not seem to be formatted anywhere near as nicely as the first book. It looks more like I am reading a poem - the text only takes up about 2/3 of the width of the page, with lots of white space on the right hand margin. I presume this has something to do with the pdf format, but I thought it was supposed to be formatted for the Sony Reader?

I have also downloaded some free books from this site, as well as Gutenburg, and some of them look reasonably ok, but some of them are almost unreadable, due to the text being too bold, or the lines too close together.

Is it best to just buy books from the Sony Bookstore, to insure that they will look good on the Reader? Also, I don't understand why there would be several different versions of the same ebook at the store, all with different prices. I know that may sound naive, but when there is no actual book, just electronic words, why would I pay more for the same book? Thank you for any help.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm with you, I prefer the way that Sony formats their books. PDF never looks that great on the Sony, and I don't know what formats are on Shortcovers.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment though, who is charging different prices for different formats?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I know how confusing it is.

I usually get books :

Sony store (lrx format-DRM)

from here in lrf or ePub format (non DRM)

feedbooks (non DRM) in ePub and a custom pdf I made (90 x 120 14 pt)

smashwords in Sony lrf or ePub

That is about the extent of what I normally do. Some MR authors have their own sites and I usually buy the lrf or ePub there also.

My order of preference is: lrx, lrf, feedbooks custom pdf, then ePub.

Many of the classic books are much better formatted by the members here on MR. (Some very dedicated members really take the time to make sure they are very nice.) Then try feedbooks. Gutenberg is where I go last to find a book because of the uncertain formatting.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
I decided to purchase another book through Short Covers (The Book of Negroes), and it does not seem to be formatted anywhere near as nicely as the first book. It looks more like I am reading a poem - the text only takes up about 2/3 of the width of the page, with lots of white space on the right hand margin. I presume this has something to do with the pdf format, but I thought it was supposed to be formatted for the Sony Reader?
Just so you understand, what you bought from Shortcovers is and ePub, not a PDF.

The way the ePub displays has to due with how the Sony justifies the text. Some folks don't mind it or even prefer it, while a lot of people would prefer it to fully justify the text.

Some folks like the way books from Sony look others don't. I've never cared for the large margins they put on their books. I do like how their format looks, but only on books I've made myself so I can have smaller margins.

Quote:
Is it best to just buy books from the Sony Bookstore, to insure that they will look good on the Reader? Also, I don't understand why there would be several different versions of the same ebook at the store, all with different prices. I know that may sound naive, but when there is no actual book, just electronic words, why would I pay more for the same book? Thank you for any help.
If it's a small difference it could be a difference in DRM costs being passed on or that the store had to go with a different distributor and it costs them more. If it's a huge difference, like $6 .vs $20, it's likely somewhere a price didn't get updated in a computer and it's an error.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
easterncoyote
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm with you, I prefer the way that Sony formats their books. PDF never looks that great on the Sony, and I don't know what formats are on Shortcovers.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment though, who is charging different prices for different formats?
Hi Lilac, thank you for your reply. I was just wondering why the Sony Store had, for example, different versions of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn at $.99, $1.99, $4.70, and $5.65. Is there some reason I would buy the $5.65 version over the $.99 one? Thank you.
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Hi Lilac, thank you for your reply. I was just wondering why the Sony Store had, for example, different versions of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn at $.99, $1.99, $4.70, and $5.65. Is there some reason I would buy the $5.65 version over the $.99 one? Thank you.
Oh, gotcha. That would be because they are public domain books, and quite a few epublishers will create the ebooks from Gutenberg and then sell them. You shouldn't actually buy any of them, since they are freely available. But if you truly prefer the way Sony formats them, go with the cheapest one Or you have the option of learning how to format the way you want to book with one of the ebook creator programs out there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
easterncoyote
Zealot

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies; much appreciated.

Last edited by easterncoyote; 09-21-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
easterncoyote
Also, some of those editions will have extras to it, like essays by different people on the book or even the author.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Quicksand
Quicksand began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
... Or you have the option of learning how to format the way you want to book with one of the ebook creator programs out there.
Is it possible to reformat a book one buys from Sony with a different margin, for example? Or can you do that only with books that do not have DRM?
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
Is it possible to reformat a book one buys from Sony with a different margin, for example? Or can you do that only with books that do not have DRM?
If they are in lrx format (BBeB with DRM), you can't change them at this moment.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
if you want to read older books (like pre 1930) you should check for a free version first. gutenberg does have dubious formatting, but i've found the books on feedbooks to be very nice, generally. i've personally "published" some public domain books on feedbooks, and take great care to make it look nice.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are also a very large number of nicely-formatted books available for download here at MR, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I'm looking at taking my existing collection of books and converting them to epub, but until then, I'm perfectly happy with taking a book in .txt format, loading it on and then switching to a medium font. Perfectly readable. The only thing I'm missing are the pretty pictures and hyperlinked chapters.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken View Post
I'm looking at taking my existing collection of books and converting them to epub, but until then, I'm perfectly happy with taking a book in .txt format, loading it on and then switching to a medium font. Perfectly readable. The only thing I'm missing are the pretty pictures and hyperlinked chapters.
... and all the formatting, such as italics. In a lot of books, italics are used for emphasis and you miss a lot if they aren't present.

Eg, look at the following passage from Dickens' "David Copperfield":

Quote:
'Well! I counsels him to speak to Em'ly. He's big enough, but he's bashfuller than a little un, and he don't like. So I speak. "What! Him!" says Em'ly. "Him that I've know'd so intimate so many years, and like so much. Oh, Uncle! I never can have him. He's such a good fellow!"
Take away the italics and you lose the whole "point" of the passage, don't you think?

Last edited by HarryT; 09-21-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added an example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
Hmmm... I've never considered that. I've been converting to .pdb for a Palm so long that I can't say I've ever noticed. I haven't read a paper book in years for that to have actually caught my eye.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote