Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Magic
Magic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505 & paperwhite
PRS 505 something wrong with my model

Hi everyone, I'm new here so all I want to say first this is a great and more important very helpful place and it will be a pleasure to be a part of your community. I've just got my new SONY PRS 505 from play.com for 150£ what I find is a good price for such wonderful device. Unfortunately I've discovered pretty quickly a few small downsides. FIRST one of the two buttons on the right side of device I use to turn pages is very loud which is quite deconcentrating. Next problem is volume button. It's loose and disturbing me when I keep my sony. Have anyone of you had such problems?? You know it's not that bad but this sony is really a great thing and I want it to be in a perfect condition so is this enough to make a refund?? If this is enough then what should I do? Am I supposed to send it back to them via Royal Mail as a normal delivery? Is it safe? Sorry guys but I am a little bit confused right now anyway thanks and I will appreciate any help.

Ps. Screen is awesome! But is this really like a paper? I mean this doesn't strain the eyes AT ALL??
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Magic,

I also took delivery of a PRS-505 from Play.com on Friday which is faulty. I know that "ghosting" on the screen technically isn't possible but that is the symptom mine has. I know that it is definately faulty as i already own one and bought this one for my partner.

I called Play.com and struggled to make their customer service person understand what i wanted to clarify about returning the item. Most questions were answered by her saying "read the email i have sent you" which isn't actually true as it did not. It did include the Returns Material Authorisation number which you must get before you return anything.

I am disappointed that i must return it at my own expense although i was assured this would be refunded if the fault is confirmed. More worryingly, i was told to use Recorded Delivery which is not the correct method for a valuable item according to the Post Office website; Special Delivery is the correct option as it offers compensation upto £2,500 where as Recorded Delivery on offers up to the value of 100 stamps!

I will let you know how the transaction goes but please make sure the option you use to return it to them includes cover for the item value.

Best wishes,

Tracey

Last edited by Tracey; 08-09-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Magic
Magic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505 & paperwhite
Hi Tracey,
Thanks for the response. I spent some I've spent some time with this gadget and decided to give it a chance The volume button isn't such a big deal and I've fixed (hopefully) the small button on the right. Your screen is broke, I can't even compare my situation to yours. It's definitely the most important part of the device and mine is ok so far. Anyway next time if I'll be getting anything like this I will visit the normal store. Thx one more time for help,hope you'll get a refund.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really shouldn't have "rattling" buttons; normally the build quality on the 505 is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Tracey
Connoisseur

Hi Magic, you are very welcome and thanks for the good wishes. Mine is back with Play.com now so we will see what happens.

Like Harry says in his post, it doesn't seem quite right for yours to have the faults described as they are solid little machines, and you would be perfectly entitiled to expect Play.com to swap it out for you.

Whatever you decide to do i wish you many happy years of usage; i love mine!

Kind regards,

Tracey
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Epiphone
Epiphone has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505/SC
mine is also playing up now, bought from play.com!

might have to send this back too
Epiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Tracey
Connoisseur

Hi Epiphone, In fairness to Play.com, they quickly confirmed the fault, refunded my return postage costs, and shipped a replacement. Not sure if they have a bad batch but the replacement is OK.

In all honesty, if i had realised John Lewis were going to drop their price i would have bought it from them like i did the first one. Huge fan of theirs and hardly own anything electrical which wasn't bought from them.

Good luck with getting yours sorted; i think Play.com will do the right thing by you.

Best wishes,

Tracey.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Epiphone
Epiphone has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505/SC
check out my thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54560

got it working, amazingly enough, will test it over next few days to ensure its ok, otherwise will send it back to Play.com as I got the return code
Epiphone is offline   Reply With Quote