Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Dropped 505, Now Power Switch Broken

Help!

I dropped my PRS-505, and the top strip, where the power button and SD slots are, partially separated from the rest of the Reader at the point where the cover clips in (it can be lifted up to the first SD slot, but the rest is still connected.) It was off when I dropped it, and when I tried to turn it on it was obvious that the power button was broken - it slides with no give like it usually has. When I connected it to my computer it worked just fine - but now I can't turn it off. I think part of the power button, where it connects to the inside of the Reader, broke off, but I'm not positive. I don't want to pull off the rest of the top in case it makes everything worse, which is why I'm not completely sure if a piece has broken off. I can't get the top to click back into the Reader, either, so it's kind of hanging off on that edge.

I'm not particularly technical or handy, and will be asking my father to look at it when I see him later, but thought I would ask here first with the people who have more experience with Readers to see if this has happened to anyone before. If so, was it easy to fix? I'm pretty sure my warrenty has expired (was purchased December 2007) so I wanted to check here before sending it in and paying for a fix.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe I have seen another post where this problem has been encountered before. Do no remember the resolution but you may want to seach through the 'Reader Troubleshooting' forum.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Most likely you lost or misaligned the connector between the slider and the mainboard...

See the small white plastic connector in this picture

Best thing to do, unscrew the two screws underneath that side of the reader and remove the top strip and the plastic connector. Realign the connector underneath the slider and the mainboard, replace the top strip and put back screws.

Shoot take about 5 minutes to do this.

Gr.

William
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hi,

I know exactly how you feel, as it happened to me also. I tried to remap the power off and/ or standby funktion to a different key, but even so the code was correct, it just didn't do it. In the end I tried my soldering skills and ended up killing the reader for good by frying the mobo...

good luck!

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_Willie2 View Post
Most likely you lost or misaligned the connector between the slider and the mainboard...
Looks like this is what happened - I opened it up and got it to re-align, and now it's working like normal again. Thanks!
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Thumbs up

William,

I had the same problem and this worked like a charm. Thanks so much!!!!!!!! I've been in a mild panic since this started yesterday. I've only had my Sony since May but can't imagine living without it now and since they are getting hard to find I wasn't sure if I could even replace it. Thanks again - bookfanmd

Last edited by bookfanmd; 09-04-2009 at 11:19 AM.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
wild_Willie2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
William,

I had the same problem and this worked like a charm. Thanks so much!!!!!!!! I've been in a mild panic since this started yesterday. I've only had my Sony since May but can't imagine living without it now and since they are getting hard to find I wasn't sure if I could even replace it. Thanks again - bookfanmd
You're welcome.

Gr

William
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
acastillo
Enthusiast
acastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505, Apple iPad
Amazing how many people have experienced the same issues.

Unfortunately for me, I dropped by 505 ereader and popped out the power switch.

Luckily for me, I found this thread explaining that it was easily fixable.

Thanks.
acastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Emil_MR
Emil_MR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks!

I too dropped my 505, and was hoping there was a simple fix to the matter. And here it is, with a description of the exact problem in the post subject line to make finding the solution very easy!

Anyway, followed your instructions, and after 5-10 minutes of flailing around, my 505 is working again!

Thanks!!

Emil

Last edited by Emil_MR; 09-21-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Emil_MR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I just dropped mine and now have the same problem. What did you guys use to unscrew the 2 tiny screws?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
wild_Willie2
Zealot

A small Philips head screwdriver ?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_Willie2 View Post
A small Philips head screwdriver ?
Thank you. I walked away from it and came back and the USB was connected before nothing happened even after resetting countless times. Now I can turn it off and on and the power slider is fixed (before it was stuck). I don't know what happened but I'm happy.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I use a Philips (crosshead) screwdriver #0 (#00 might work too).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
YAYYYYY I FIXED MY EREADER!!!!

Look I found a youtube video that shows you how to open and fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLHgLz9LYMA

Go in the video to 2m10s to see how to open.

Last edited by jeromedevine; 07-12-2010 at 12:25 PM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
iseeoz
iseeoz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Help, I dropped my 505 on a tile floor and didn't notice the power button was missing. I don't have it and can't get it to turn on. I tried a straight pin but didn't want to poke around too much. I have plugged it into my computer and it appears everything is in working order. I called Sony and attempted to order a new power switch and noticed today that the order was for a new upper plate. So this leads me to my questions:
Is the upper plate the correct part? Does it contain the power button and the small plastic pieces that hold it in? Is there any other way to turn on the unit other than through the power button? When the part finally comes, is there anything I need to do other than what is shown the video as referenced above? Thanks!
iseeoz is offline   Reply With Quote