Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Kindle DX - Any way to disable screensaver?

Those of you who have a DX - is there any way to stop it from going to the screensaver mode?

The primary reason (excuse? <grin>) I could justify getting one is if I could use it at meetings with pdf files. I'm always printing out agendas, reports, etc. to have with me to reference during a meeting. If I could dump the pdf's into a Kindle and use that at the meeting it would be sweet - but not if I have to keep waking the thing up every time I need to glance at the agenda.

So - can you stop it from going into "sleep" mode? Thx
Old 06-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, you can't. But honestly I don't think it would be a problem; it wakes up in seconds. During a meeting, hitting next page would keep it awake.
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
On a related note, how do you turn on the screen saver? I'm used to the Kindle 1's Alt+aA key. Is there a DX equivalent?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slide the power switch briefly.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Slide the power switch briefly.
Thanks. Yeah, I just figured that out myself, duh me
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
schulzmc
Zealot

Quote:
No, you can't. But honestly I don't think it would be a problem; it wakes up in seconds. During a meeting, hitting next page would keep it awake.

That's too bad - that's a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to sit there and hit next page every couple of minutes to keep the thing awake, and having to wake it up every time I need to glance at a file would be too big a pain.

Looks like I'll stick with my K2 for now - and keep printing out files for meetings.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
That's too bad - that's a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to sit there and hit next page every couple of minutes to keep the thing awake, and having to wake it up every time I need to glance at a file would be too big a pain.
I really don't understand the type of meetings you go to. In the ones I'm at, if there is documentation you have to refer to individually, it's usually multiple pages, viewed every few minutes. Pretty rare we'd stare at the same page for 10 minutes, then be expected to refer to the same page again with no intervening pages 30 minutes later. Furthermore, the wake up takes all of 5 seconds every 10 minutes max, so I really don't understand why 30 seconds out of an hour meeting worst case would be a problem.

It sounds like you're just trying to justify a decision you've already made.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Disabling the screensaver with the K1/K2 was not an issue as you use those mainly in a mode that requires constant page turns.

The DX is primarily designed for different uses and will require that this be an option. It makes absolutely no sense to waste time refreshing when the nature of e-ink is such that you can retain the image.
I can understand the reasoning behind the screensaver but they could perhaps put in a watermark to indicate what mode the machine is in so they won't get returns from people who think the buttons are broken.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
schulzmc
Zealot

Quote:
I really don't understand the type of meetings you go to. In the ones I'm at, if there is documentation you have to refer to individually, it's usually multiple pages, viewed every few minutes. Pretty rare we'd stare at the same page for 10 minutes, then be expected to refer to the same page again with no intervening pages 30 minutes later. Furthermore, the wake up takes all of 5 seconds every 10 minutes max, so I really don't understand why 30 seconds out of an hour meeting worst case would be a problem.

It sounds like you're just trying to justify a decision you've already made.

I guess I could take the time to explain - but the reality is I know what would work for me and what wouldn't. With respect - you don't. Trust me - if you could disable the sleep mode so whatever pdf I am using for a meeting would stay on the screen indefinitely I would be ordering a DX today.

But seriously - thanks for your help.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
what is it for the screensaver? is it actually a screen saver?

Thank you

Last edited by SalvaG; 06-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
what is it for the screensaver? is it actually a screen saver?
It's actually just a visual indication that the Kindle has gone into "sleep" mode.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
I have been studying math books on my DX, very annoying that it goes into sleep mode so fast. I'm used to my sony where the screen stays on for an hour or so.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #13
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yes but there are other ways to indicate sleep mode (such as a watermark)

As for technical document readers, this is not exactly going to make people happy. I'll even venture to say that this problem makes using it undesirable for certain uses. The nature of documents that the DX is mainly designed to display can often require that they remain visible without refreshing often, which of course is what keeps the screensaver a bay.

So unless they fix this (bug), I'm afraid this wonderful piece of technology is somewhat crippled and I won't be able to use it as I would like.

I think this version of the software is ill-conceived for the DX where it appears to be just a port from the smaller Kindle with some added features.

the problem is, with such a huge company, it will take huge feedback before any modification will happen.

(best we start now)

Last edited by Mac Jones; 06-15-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
jcgam69
jcgam69 began at the beginning.

Device: DX
The source code is available. It seems to me that you would only need to change a few bytes of code (extend the timeout value, or make it zero) to disable the screensaver. What's the process for modifying the firmware? Is it even possible?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Same issue is a problem when using the cookbooks (yes, some people buy them to cook with, not just read or impress their friends ... esp since the latter only works if stacked up on a shelf when entertaining).
Closed Thread