Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Then why does E-ink corp. list the Vizplex screen as having 3 bit grayscale when we know the K2 has 4 bit?
Quote:
According to Sriram K. Peruvemba, Vice President, Marketing, E Ink Corp., the Kindle 2 has been launched with the E Ink Vizplex display.
So unless E Ink Corp is lying to us, it is a Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Well if you mean by the same "company", same "brand", sure, but it's a different model. It's like saying the iPhone and the iPhone 3G are the "same" phone.

Edit: You know it's difficult having an argument with someone with your avatar...
Inconceiveable!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So unless E Ink Corp is lying to us, it is a Vizplex screen.
?linky?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
?linky?
Here is a link to the e-ink's website that does say that Vizplex has 4-bit Grayscale Capability http://www.e-ink.com/products/matrix/High_Res.html

Also, the quote was taken from http://www.ciol.com/Semicon/Product-...10209115844/0/
Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
Ian
Ian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OK, so it seems to be the same screen - thanks for the update...

...so why is the text not as sharp as it has been -- and could be?

What is the liklihood for a firmware upgrade to fix this?

Any ideas?

Thanks-

-Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well there is a 2.0.1 firmware out that has no accompanying info about.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
My K2 is 2.0 and I don't have any problems with the contrast. It is better than the K1, actually.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I had installed 2.0.1 firmware before I sent it off but it made no difference at all. Now reading this discussion I am confused as to why this new 16 bit gray scale screen is inferior to 4 bit screen on kindle1 for text reading.

I admit pictures are definitely sharper but who looks at pictures, kindle is a reading device, we want to read on it most of the time.

This is same as sony has done to prs 700 from 505, what a step back.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For text there appears to be a slight difference in contrast between the K1 and the K2. My K1 is a year old and well used. The K2 seems to have a slightly darker background. Pictures are much better on the K2, I can see the difference in having more gray scale.

I wonder if it's a difference in production runs since it is the same screen?

FWIW, I'm running 2.0.1. Amazon must have pushed it out.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
My K2 is 2.0 and I don't have any problems with the contrast. It is better than the K1, actually.
No contrast problems here either. No K1 to compare it to, but I did a side by side with the Sony 505 and it's the same as far as I can see. It did take a bit to get used to the K2 font when I was so used to the Sony's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No contrast problems here either. No K1 to compare it to, but I did a side by side with the Sony 505 and it's the same as far as I can see. It did take a bit to get used to the K2 font when I was so used to the Sony's.
The fonts can make a big difference. To my eyes it seems the k2 font is a little less bold when compared to the k1 and certainly so when compared to the Sony.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #27
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I found my first Kindle 2's screen contrast dark also. Enough so that I called Customer Service and they sent a second one. (It bugged me enuf that I was seriously considering returning the Kindle 2 and going back to my Sony PRS-505) The second Kindle 2's screen color appears the same, but the letters are a bit darker making enough of a difference that I've decided to keep the Kindle 2. The screen color is the same as my Sony PRS-505 but the contrast is not as good on the Kindle 2 as the Sony's. It appears to me that Amazon is not using the darkest color they can with the regular text so that they can use the darkest text in Bold letter applications. Hopefully in the future there will be a setting to change the darkness of the letters.
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
humblemumble
humblemumble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I thought that the kindle 2 had a better screen than original???
humblemumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
alphabet55
alphabet55 began at the beginning.

Device: Possibly a Kindle 2
Hmm... low contrast may be a problem for me. I may just have to wait and see if Amazon fixes this before I buy one. D:
alphabet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #30
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I saw a post somewhere where the poster said that they had talked to Kindle Support and that the K2 used dark gray one level down from the darkest for regular text, and the darkest for bold. Instead of using darkest for all text like K1. I think it was on the Amazon forum, and who knows if KS was right.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote