Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
kiwik
Enthusiast
kiwik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One (ex Kindle, Sony 505)
UPDATE - SOLVED!!

I went into my BIOS and changed the USB ports to be only 2.0. Calibre then functioned perfectly.

This puts the issue most definitely as a USB 3 vs 2.

So for anyone else with the problem - you can fix this by buying yourself a USB 2.0 hub (as per PeterT's suggestion on the next page). The one I'm using is from Targus, and it works perfectly.

Last edited by kiwik; 02-05-2017 at 08:04 PM.
kiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@kiwik - longshot - install a copy of calibre portable and try to access the kobo over USB 3.0 from it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@kiwik: That makes me think Windows has some sort of stuck driver or setting. Going back to USB 2 probably got Windows uninstall and reinstall drivers and configuration. It might have worked to use Device Manager to remove the ports and rediscover them.

But, glad it is working and hopefully it will continue to work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
UPDATE - Possible Solution!
Just on a whim I decided to give it another go with Calibre and ... it worked PERFECTLY!!
Seems not unlike what jdta09 reported in post#11.

BR
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
kiwik
Enthusiast

@davidfor @BetterRed

Yes and no....

The problem has persisted through the original and a fresh install of Windows 10, so it seems unlikely to be a one-time driver issue.

BUT, potentially one of the many Windows/Calibre/Kobo updates that have come out between those two installs DID fix something, and a user who starts from scratch today may not have any issues.

I'll definitely post in here if the problem crops up again.
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@kiwik - re fresh install of Win 10 - off Dell or MS media?

BR
Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
kiwik
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@kiwik - re fresh install of Win 10 - off Dell or MS media?

BR
MS media both times. Nice and clean.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Putin
Old 02-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #24
kiwik
Enthusiast

Well, it was too good to be true. I just plugged in and boom, blue screen.

So it's a great fix, but it lasts a maximum of 5 hours

Nothing significant has changed in that time other than powering off my Kobo.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

did you try my post #17 suggestion ?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #26
kiwik
Enthusiast

Quote:
did you try my post #17 suggestion ?
Alright, I gave it a go and it worked perfectly.

Too early to tell based on my last test I guess, but I'll persist with the portable and update when/if it fails.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@kiwik -

Added - I suggested portable because it is the 32bit variant of calibre, not because of it's portability. I've had driver/codec related BSODs (on Win 7 and 10) with two 64bit application programs. The 32bit versions work fine. The application vendors don't supply the drivers, they come from component hardware suppliers.

If portable continues to work you could try the regular 32 bit installed variant. That will use your existing libraries and preference settings

- BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
kiwik
Enthusiast

Quote:
If portable continues to work you could try the regular 32 bit installed variant. That will use your existing libraries and preference settings
Sorry to say, but second and third times using the portable were a blue screen.

I'll have to go back to manually transferring with Windows Explorer.

Is it possible to manually create a kepub? Calibre creates it when you transfer to the Kobo, so I'm missing out on the nice chapter titles etc.

Last edited by kiwik; 02-01-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #29
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
Is it possible to manually create a kepub? Calibre creates it when you transfer to the Kobo, so I'm missing out on the nice chapter titles etc.
Yes, there is a KEPUB Output plugin that will do the kobo-izing bit.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #30
kiwik
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, there is a KEPUB Output plugin that will do the kobo-izing bit.
Any idea how to get the book to be picked up by the Kobo? I can create the .kepub just fine, but the Kobo won't detect the new book.