Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #31
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Study Bibles is sort of Difflugia's "turf," so I hope that he doesn't mind me going ahead and posting this.
Nope. Do your worst.

I used to post a lot more, but since I managed to get most of the ones I wanted during one one of the 90% off Kobo extravaganzas, I've stopped checking for the sales quite as often.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The NIV Study Bible, Archaeological Study Bible and NIV Faith in Action Study Bible are $4.99 at Amazon and Kobo. I linked B&N, even though they're still showing regular prices; they've been a little slow to update sale prices lately. Zondervan books are not eligible for coupons at Kobo in the US.

NIV Study Bible: Kobo Kobo (red letter edition) Amazon B&N

Archaeological Study Bible: Kobo Amazon B&N

Faith in Action: Kobo Amazon B&N

This is the first time, by the way, that I've seen the Archaeological Study Bible ebook on sale.

Edit: B&N now shows the sale prices.

Last edited by Difflugia; 06-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Speaking of archaeological studies...the Biblical Archaeological Society offers many free ebooks and a newsletter, Bible History Daily. Today's featured newsletter headline is "The Masada Siege: The Roman Assault on Herod’s Desert Fortress". FYI: One need not purchase a BAS library membership or digital subscription in order to receive the newsletter or download the free books.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #34
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Free at BN and at Amazon US:

Man of God: Leading Your Family by Allowing God to Lead You
by
Charles Stanley

Overview

What does it take to be a “real” man?

You don’t have to be perfect to be a man of God. As Dr. Charles Stanley writes, a man of God is a maturing man, a striving man, a knowledgeable man. And the first step in real manhood is spiritual rebirth.

In Man of God, Dr. Stanley asks and answers questions such as these:

What can we learn about manhood from Jesus’s example?
How does a true leader allow God to lead him?
Why is a godly man “both velvet and steel”?
What does it look like to be a provider?
What does it mean to lead with sensitivity?

Man of God will challenge and equip you to become a better leader, teacher, father, and husband. What makes a man? The answer starts here.

Includes study guide for individuals or groups.

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781434705471
Publisher: Cook, David C.
Publication date: 6/1/2013
Pages: 208
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Nope. Do your worst.

I used to post a lot more, but since I managed to get most of the ones I wanted during one one of the 90% off Kobo extravaganzas, I've stopped checking for the sales quite as often.
Quote:
The NIV Study Bible, Archaeological Study Bible and NIV Faith in Action Study Bible are $4.99 at Amazon and Kobo. I linked B&N, even though they're still showing regular prices; they've been a little slow to update sale prices lately. Zondervan books are not eligible for coupons at Kobo in the US.

NIV Study Bible: Kobo Kobo (red letter edition) Amazon B&N

Archaeological Study Bible: Kobo Amazon B&N
. . . . [/URL]

This is the first time, by the way, that I've seen the Archaeological Study Bible ebook on sale.

Edit: B&N now shows the sale prices.
Thanks for letting me post study Bibles. Actually, I think that we troll in different parts of the Internet anyway. A good proof of that is the two study Bibles that you just posted. I had not found either one of them (as of about 5 a.m. EST today).

I didn't have the NIV one, it's from a completely different publishing house so I didn't have to be concerned about overlap in material, so I got it. I was surprised that Kobo didn't accept codes on it; I thought that I had used codes before on Zondervan books. With Amazon being the same price as Kobo for me it was a "no brainer" to get it from Amazon.

As far as the Archaeological study Bible is concerned, it's only been a few cents lower a few times since around the end of 2011/first of 2012 when it was marked way down for a day or two. I did not buy that one then and won't now. I'm sure that the material is great (Walter Kaiser is one of the editors--a real good sign). But archaeological information--Biblical maybe more than any other--changes so rapidly and I knew/know that I wouldn't have an opportunity to delve into that for a while. I was afraid that it become obsolete by the time that I had an opportunity to use it.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Speaking of archaeological studies...the Biblical Archaeological Society offers many free ebooks and a newsletter, Bible History Daily. Today's featured newsletter headline is "The Masada Siege: The Roman Assault on Herod’s Desert Fortress". FYI: One need not purchase a BAS library membership or digital subscription in order to receive the newsletter or download the free books.
BAR (Biblical Archaeology Review) adds free ebooks from time to time, so you might want to bookmark the page and check back from time to time. Come to think about it, they probably announce in the newsletter when they have added new ebooks, but I usually do not have time to open and read the newsletters. I wish that they would set up something to send newsletter subscribers separate announcements by email when they add ebooks. But I think that it is really a generous thing that they do make the ebooks available free to people, including people, as you mentioned, who aren't even subscribers to the magazine!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-16-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #37
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Highly-Rated Bible Handbook on Sale

I try to post only books that are $1 or under. Unfortunately, this one will cost you a little more than that.

The Essential Bible Companion: Key Insights for Reading God's Word (Essential Bible Companion Series). Rated 4 1/2 stars from 31 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; Digital list price $6.99; Kindle price now $2.99. http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Bibl...nion+Series%29. It is available for $2.99 also at Kobo (not discountable, http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...ible-companion). It is supposed to be available for $2.99 at the following also: Barnes & Noble, Christianbook, Google Play, and iBooks.

Book Description
What You Need to Know, When You Need to Know It The Essential Bible Companion gives you what it promises: the essentials. The most vital, absolutely indispensable information you need for reading and truly understanding God’s Word. Developed by two world-class Bible scholars and the creator of The Bible in 90 Days curriculum, this unique, easy-to-use reference guide gives you clear, crisp insights into the Bible book by book. From Genesis to Revelation, each book of the Bible has its key details laid out for you clearly and engagingly in a colorful two-page spread that includes * background information * timelines * important biblical characters Striking a balance between too little and too much information---between the brief introductions provided in a Bible and the potentially overwhelming detail of a standard reference handbook---this well-designed, extremely helpful volume condenses the most important information in a highly visual, easy-to-understand format. Ideal for use as a companion to The Bible in 90 Days curriculum, The Essential Bible Companion is also a valuable resource for any Bible study. However you use it, this richly informative volume will assist you on your journey toward a well-grounded biblical faith.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #38
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Do You Need to Make Your Emotions Work for You? Maybe this Kindle Bargain Will Help

Yes, I know that all people--Christians and non-Christians alike--have emotions! The reason that I'm posting this book in the "Christian Interest" thread is the fact that the author refers to and relies on the Bible for information, support, et al..

No, I do not know what the asterisks (*s) before three of the words in the title signify. There was no explanation on the product page on Amazon.

Making Your Emotions Work for You: *Coping with Stress *Avoiding Burnout *Overcoming Fear ...and More. By Harold Sala. Rated 5 stars, but from only 3 reviews at the present moment. Digital list price $9.99; Kindle price now $0.99. http://www.amazon.com/Making-Your-Em...ar+...and+More. Amazon was the only vendor that I checked about this ebook.

Book Description
Fear, stress, low self-confidence . . . if troubling emotions have gotten the best of you, learn how God can use them instead as trigger points that will bring out the very best in you. This incisive book from renowned Bible teacher Harold J. Sala shares scriptural principles to unleash God’s power as you turn your emotions into friends and become a more positive, confident, and fulfilled person by Making Your Emotions Work for You.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #39
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

96%(!) Markdown on Kindle Ebook on the Christian and Social & Political Issues

In a deviation from the norm, Amazon at the present has this ebook much cheaper than even Christianbook ($0.99 to $2.99). Is there a pricing error at Amazon? I dunno. All I say is "git it wile da gittin' iz goot."

Taking Christian Moral Thought Seriously (B&H Studies in Christian Ethics). By Jeremy A. Evans; Daniel Heimbach. Rated 5 stars, but from only 1 review at the present moment. Print list price $24.99; Digital list price $24.99; Kindle price now $0.99. http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Christi...ught+seriously. Christianbook has this ebook in the ePub for $2.99; the price at Kobo (ePub, also) is $15.49. I didn't check elsewhere; is there really any point to it?

Book Description
The Death Penalty, Environmentalism, Public Reason, Voting, Abortion. Where does Christian faith belong in discussions about these issues?

In
Taking Christian Moral Thought Seriously, editor Jeremy A. Evans establishes that separation of church and state is not a principle of the United States Constitution (or any other founding document). Thus, there should be a social interest in not hindering any religious person’s full participation in the American marketplace of ideas. As such, Evans addresses readers from both the Christian and non-Christian communities through the related scholarship here, knowing either side’s failure to consider one’s well-prepared thoughts in science, politics, and education undermines the very idea of seeking the truth.

Topics include:

* The death penalty
* John Rawls’ theory of public reason
* Whether or not a non-voting stance is permissible for Christians
* Religious disagreement and its impact on the justification of religious beliefs
* How the current models of scientific explanation are not incompatible with religious beliefs
* Creation care—what is our responsibility to the environment?
* Are theologians and philosophers missing the point on the abortion problem?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-17-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #40
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thanks for letting me post study Bibles. Actually, I think that we troll in different parts of the Internet anyway. A good proof of that is the two study Bibles that you just posted. I had not found either one of them (as of about 5 a.m. EST today).
If you're interested in trolling the same place, I find most of them by checking the Kindle Best Sellers for Bibles. "Shop by Department","Kindle Books", then select "Best Sellers" from the top. On the left is a list of subjects. Pick, "Religion & Spirituality", then "Christian Books & Bibles", then "Bibles". Anything on sale by a big publisher moves up the list pretty quickly.

Quote:
I didn't have the NIV one, it's from a completely different publishing house so I didn't have to be concerned about overlap in material, so I got it. I was surprised that Kobo didn't accept codes on it; I thought that I had used codes before on Zondervan books. With Amazon being the same price as Kobo for me it was a "no brainer" to get it from Amazon.
Kobo took coupons for Zondervan titles for a few months after the Agency thing broke up, but then stopped.

Quote:
As far as the Archaeological study Bible is concerned, it's only been a few cents lower a few times since around the end of 2011/first of 2012 when it was marked way down for a day or two. I did not buy that one then and won't now. I'm sure that the material is great (Walter Kaiser is one of the editors--a real good sign). But archaeological information--Biblical maybe more than any other--changes so rapidly and I knew/know that I wouldn't have an opportunity to delve into that for a while. I was afraid that it become obsolete by the time that I had an opportunity to use it.
I got my Kindle in January 2012, so I'm sure I missed it the first time around.

If you're looking for actual, in-depth archaeology, the Archaeological Study Bible would probably disappoint you, anyway. The "archaeology" is mostly overviews of cultures that are mentioned in the Biblical text (Exodus, for example, contains a number of short articles about the cultural practices of ancient Egypt) and rather unsubtle apologetics. I certainly find it to be fun reading, but there are definitely better books available on the subject.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

After writing the last response, I checked the Amazon list and noticed that The Case for Christ Study Bible is also on sale for $4.99. That's one I've been wanting and don't yet have.

B&N Kobo Amazon
Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #42
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
After writing the last response, I checked the Amazon list and noticed that The Case for Christ Study Bible is also on sale for $4.99. That's one I've been wanting and don't yet have.

B&N Kobo Amazon
I like the idea of a Case for Christ Study Bible but this one is in NIV, which I'm not too keen on. Plus, I recently bought the HCSB Apologetics Study Bible.

I would like to get the NASB translation, and I notice there's a 1977 and a 1995 version. Have you used these, or know anything about them in terms of recommending which one would be better to get?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #43
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
After writing the last response, I checked the Amazon list and noticed that The Case for Christ Study Bible is also on sale for $4.99. That's one I've been wanting and don't yet have . . . .
Zondervan actually has 20 Study Bibles on sale (through June 23) for $4.99. All are NIV. I didn't think about the fact that you might still be needing some.

All that I got on it was an email message. I went to their website, but couldn't find the same information.

There is a way to send the email that I got, sans the header with my email address on it, as an attachment, but after playing with it for a few minutes, I decided that it would be faster to just list the study Bibles available.

They are available at the usual suspects--Apple, B&N, Amazon, Christianbook, and Google Play. Kobo is not shown, but I know that at least one is available there, because I bought one. Some of the books are not available at all of the places, so if it's not you'll need to check another vendor.

I don't think that you're going to be interested in the women's, et al. study Bibles, but I am including them for the benefit of women, et al. who are reading the post who might be interested.

My posting of these study Bibles does not necessarily mean that I endorse the doctrinal positions taken by the authors of the non-Bible text.

Here goes:
-NIV Holy Bible, New Testament (Red Letter Edition)
-The Case for Christ Study Bible: Investigating the Evidence for Belief
-NIV Faith in Action Study Bible: Living God's Word in a Changing World
-Women's Devotional Bible Classic
-NIV Archaeological Study Bible: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture
-NIV Study Bible (Red Letter Edition)
-The NIV Bible in 90 Days
-The NIV Pink Bible: An Invitation to Hope
-NIV Mom's Devotional Bible
-The Books of the Bible (NIV)
-NIV Women's Devotional Bible
-NIV Real-Life Devotional Bible for Women: Insights for Daily Life
-NIV Busy Mom's Bible: Daily Inspiration Even If You Only Have One Minute
-Holy Bible (NIV), Red Letter Edition
-NIV Quest Study Bible for Teens: The Question and Answer Bible
-The People's Bible, NIV: Your Visual Guide to the Bibles Most Searched Verses
-NIV Study Bible
-NIV Student Bible
-NIV Passages Bible: Read through the Bible in a Year
-NIV True Images: The Bible for Teen Girls

Unfortunately, after listing these I found another one that I think that I "have to" have. Oh well.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #44
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I like the idea of a Case for Christ Study Bible but this one is in NIV, which I'm not too keen on. Plus, I recently bought the HCSB Apologetics Study Bible.

I would like to get the NASB translation, and I notice there's a 1977 and a 1995 version. Have you used these, or know anything about them in terms of recommending which one would be better to get?
The main difference is that the 1977 edition retained the King James style in statements directed to God and these were changed to modern English in 1995.

Compare Psalm 3 in the 1977 edition and 1995 edition.

The original ebooks from Lockman are pretty bad. Neither include the translators' notes and the formatting is pretty poor. There's a newer edition at Amazon that includes the notes, but I haven't looked at it, since it's not available in epub. Thomas Nelson's study Bible editions are fine, though.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #45
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Kindle Freebie on Long Distance and Cross-Cultural Leadership

This is posted in the "Christian Interest" thread because of the author's reference to, and use of, the Bible for information, et al.

Close: Leading Well Across Distance and Cultures. By Ken Cochrum. Rated 5 stars from 12 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; digital list price $9.99; Kindle price now $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Close-Leading-...e+and+Cultures.

Book Description
Designed to be read on a two- or three-hour flight by busy executives and ministry leaders, CLOSE: Leading Well Across Distance and Cultures flattens the steep learning curve required to be effective in 21st century global leadership. How do you effectively lead, motivate, inspire, and coach someone you lead who lives in a different country, culture, or time zone? When polled about actual time spent in face-to-face and mediated communication, most distance leaders admitted that they only had 20-40 hours of communication per year! That's only five days. Ken Cochrum presents an easy-to-grasp paradigm of servanthood, distance leadership, and cross-cultural leadership based on three years of research and personal interviews with more than 80 global leaders.

Contents. Part 1 sets the context for global leadership. Chapter 1 explores the nature of the five-day leadership challenge. Most global leaders get no more than a total of 40 hours per year of face-to-face and phone/online contact with those they lead. How does one empower another to lead effectively the other 360 days per year? Chapter 2 looks at the current reality of the changing nature of global leadership in the 21st century. It gives us hard data that defines the work environment and its impact on workers. Chapter 3 calls us back to the scope of global leadership to which we are called by God in the midst of the existing culture. Chapter 4 surveys how the apostle Paul practiced servant leadership across distance and cultures during the rapid expansion of the first century church and gave us a model to follow today.