Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You're being purposely difficult. "Born in a hospital in another city" has absolutely no bearing on the question.
Really? I thought most people interpreted the question as the city your parent lived in when you were born. And not the actual city for the hospital. But the point is that I do not remember how I interpret that question from time to time. So the question does not work for me.

Last edited by tompe; 11-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I can't say I've noticed that. Do you have an example?
All questions about middle name for example.

Also remembering names of 6-grade teacher seems to me to be something you do not do if it is not a cultural thing.
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Really? I thought most people interpreted the question as the city your parent lived in when you were born. And not the actual city for the hospital. But the point is that I do not remember how I interpret that question from time to time. So the question does not work for me.
That's part of the problem. Too many people try to "interpret" questions that require little or no interpretation. Simple is best. I was not asked anything about where my parents lived at the time of my birth. I was asked where I was born. I will never forget the "correct" answer.

But regardless of all that, I find it hilarious that this sort of thing is even an issue. I only wish I was able to create the questions AND the answers to all tests in advance of actually taking the test. Things would have been much easier. That someone would complain about failing a test they composed for themselves (let alone composed from such iconic life events/places) is completely baffling to me. You have no one else to blame for not knowing the answer you created in advance to a question you hand-picked in advance.

EDIT: I think the biggest issue with security questions like these is that many people set them up under the expectation that they're never going to need them. They're just something to "get through" to get the account set up. Then they're looking to blame someone when the worst does happen and they don't remember what they chose. If people set them up with the expectation of when, rather if they were going to need them, perhaps there'd be more consideration given to them at the time of their creation.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2013 at 08:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's part of the problem. Too many people try to "interpret" questions that require little or no interpretation. Simple is best. I was not asked anything about where my parents lived at the time of my birth. I was asked where I was born. I will never forget the "correct" answer.
You might not know the correct answer since it is a totally irrelevant fact that is never used for anything. The fact that matter is were you was "signed up" when you were born and that everybody now. If a hospital is full so you have to drive 30 minutes to the hospital in the neighboring city is kind of irrelevant.

Maybe it is culturally more important in the US exactly what hospital it was?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find there's generally a sufficient choice of questions that I can chose one (or however many it is) with unambiguous answers. I don't believe that gmail has secret questions, does it? It's just alternate contact information.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My least favourite question is what is your favourite restaurant. I've lived in so many cities that my favourite restaurant tends to revolve around where I'm living so I have to remember where I was when I answered the question.

Sidney Street Cafe? Khazanna's? Pasta Prima? Caraway Grill? Home?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #67
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
There's really no need to pay any attention to what's contained in the security questions at all unless you want to. The system cares not a whit what your input is, so you can simply choose a single, suitably complex pass-phrase and use it for any and all such questions.

E.g. for the question "Where where you born?" your answer can be the same long string of random characters which a password ought to contain or a phrase or sentence having absolutely zilch to do with your place of birth. That way you really only ever need to relate to two complex passwords/phrases if you use the same ones for every site or service you're subscribed to.

While not absolutely ideal from a security perspective, it's a lot easier than having different passwords and security answers for every site and also a hell of a lot more secure than "123456".
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If a hospital is full so you have to drive 30 minutes to the hospital in the neighboring city is kind of irrelevant.
Yes, it probably is. Except in the sense that you emerged from the womb there, and are more than likely cognizant of that fact--and unlikely to forget it.

This is silly. As Harry mentioned, there are usually more than enough security questions to choose from that most people can choose some that have unambiguous answers (if security questions are an option) to dwell on this one. Regardless of cultural differences. And if not.... well, write them down for safekeeping. It's only in your best interest to do so.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #69
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Worst Passwords

From what I've read a mix of Caps and small letters plus symbols and numbers is best. So something like Mobile#95 for example would be better than a lot of the common ones that people use. The same goes for pin numbers I understand. A lot of people use something like 2580 which is nothing more than the center strip of #'s on a phone's keypad. Far better to do some sequence of #'s that aren't so easy to guess.

Last edited by crich70; 11-15-2013 at 03:36 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #70
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
How Big Is Your Haystack? and how well hidden is YOUR needle?

Steve Gibson's site, GRC.com, has some great information on security and useful tools throughout the site, including scanning your ports.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Worst Passwords

From what I've read a mix of Caps and small letters plus symbols and numbers is best. So something like Mobile#95 for example would be better than a lot of the common ones that people use. The same goes for pin numbers I understand. A lot of people use something like 2580 which is nothing more than the center strip of #'s on a phone's keypad. Far better to do some sequence of #'s that aren't so easy to guess.
The best passwords are at least 12 characters a mixture of upper, lower, numbers and symbols. Do not use words in the your password. Mobile#95 would be easy to crack. Something like
dR43%g$l@95xt is really secure. (Don't worry it's not a password I use! lol)
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #72
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The best passwords are at least 12 characters a mixture of upper, lower, numbers and symbols. Do not use words in the your password. Mobile#95 would be easy to crack. Something like
dR43%g$l@95xt is really secure. (Don't worry it's not a password I use! lol)
Mobile#95 isn't one I'd use either Blossom. It was just meant as an example of mixing caps and lower case letters with symbols and #'s. I also (as stated earlier) write down my passwords with notes about any caps so I don't have to worry about forgetting them. My handwriting makes an extra safeguard since it would take a while for someone else to be able to read it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Mobile#95 isn't one I'd use either Blossom. It was just meant as an example of mixing caps and lower case letters with symbols and #'s. I also (as stated earlier) write down my passwords with notes about any caps so I don't have to worry about forgetting them. My handwriting makes an extra safeguard since it would take a while for someone else to be able to read it.
It can't be worse than my kindergarten penmanship with my dyslexia making it almost intelligible to everyone but me so I think I am safe. Oh and I am left handed on top of that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #74
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Here's my favourite reference on password strength
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #75
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
all these security questions require open-ended answers. so theoretically, you could answer with anything you want, even if what you provide doesn't answer the question. it may even be possible to provide the same exact "answer" to all questions, if they don't check that the previous answer is the same as the current answer. then all you have to remember is the exact phrasing of your single answer to multiple questions.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote