Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #241
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I adjusted the size for my custom dictionary in the database, made no difference. I have not tried the date though, but I am not hopeful.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #242
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Portuguese dictionary definitely does not work - and it's the only gzipped-plain-text one. The marisa index file seems to work (I can look up for words), but the definitions does not come up when I select one, it says "No dictionary entry found for ...".

The Kobo Desktop Software has the 13.680.662-size italian file what tshering mentioned, but the italian dictionary does not work with this file: same behavior as the portuguese or the custom ones.

I tried to put the unknown-format english dictionary from the 2.1.1 firmware to the device (zipped it first), it's OK, so the encryption(?) method did not change, but the non-encrypted dictionaries does not work anymore. :-(
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #243
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I adjusted the size for my custom dictionary in the database, made no difference. I have not tried the date though, but I am not hopeful.
Thank you for trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
The Kobo Desktop Software has the 13.680.662-size italian file what tshering mentioned, but the italian dictionary does not work with this file: same behavior as the portuguese or the custom ones.
I just tried the same things. Replacing the plain Italian dictionary by the (old) encrypted dictionary makes it work. This led me to the same conclusion as what clsdclsd says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
I tried to put the unknown-format english dictionary from the 2.1.1 firmware to the device (zipped it first), it's OK, so the encryption(?) method did not change, but the non-encrypted dictionaries does not work anymore. :-(
It looks like this is the end of custom dictionaries. I am sure the encryption is for copyright concerns and we will not be able to imitate this encryption. For me this means that I will remain on 2.4.0 as long as my touch survives. I hope by the time my touch stops working, there will be a reader by another brand that will satisfy my needs better.

Last edited by tshering; 04-21-2013 at 05:38 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #244
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you could be right...that this could be the end for us with custom dictionaries. Such a shame. I am thinking of going back to 2.4 too.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #245
ShellShock
Wizard

I have gone back to 2.4.0 and interestingly I have found that the html files in the dictionary support head and body tags, which I didn't know. I had added the head and body tags to try and get the dictionary to work on 2.5.0 (no luck) but they do work on 2.4.0.
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #246
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Yesterday night I did more or less what you guys reported here, and I had no luck.

I agree with the observation that probably now dictionaries (precisely, the content HTML files) have to be "encrypted/obfuscated" in order to be correctly used by Kobo.

If anyone from Kobo is reading: this is a very bad move.
I have been asked to "convert" dictionaries from people not able to use Penelope themselves or I have seen custom-made dictionaries in eReading forums for at least a dozen of language-combinations that are not covered by your dictionaries. For example: IT-DE, DE-IT, IT-ES, ES-IT, IT-FR, FR-IT, CS-CS, CS-EN, EN-CS, PL-EN, EN-PL, ZH-ZH, ZH-EN, EN-ZH, and more.
I understand the need of obfuscating the default dictionaries you ship with the devices, but removing the possibility of using custom-made dictionaries is simply non-sense. I would like you to understand the point and be smart, by reintroducing support for custom dictionaries and publishing official specs for them.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #247
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
If anyone from Kobo is reading: this is a very bad move.
I have been asked to "convert" dictionaries from people not able to use Penelope themselves or I have seen custom-made dictionaries in eReading forums for at least a dozen of language-combinations that are not covered by your dictionaries. For example: IT-DE, DE-IT, IT-ES, ES-IT, IT-FR, FR-IT, CS-CS, CS-EN, EN-CS, PL-EN, EN-PL, ZH-ZH, ZH-EN, EN-ZH, and more.
I understand the need of obfuscating the default dictionaries you ship with the devices, but removing the possibility of using custom-made dictionaries is simply non-sense. I would like you to understand the point and be smart, by reintroducing support for custom dictionaries and publishing official specs for them.
I fully subscribe to what AlPe says and would like to ask Kobo to rethink their decision.

A certain tendency to restrict the (presumably unintentional) support of custom dictionaries was noticable already in FW 2.4.0. The last move seems to indicate that this restriction is done with full purpose. I am asking myself what is the motive behind this? Does Kobo intend to start selling additional dictionaries?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #248
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still, they might have simply broken support for "plain-text" dictionaries during a code refactoring.

(I do not think they are going to sell dictionaries, for three reasons: 1) content is not their business; 2) selling dictionaries produces low profits; 3) "free", commercial-grade dictionaries are provided by almost all their competitors, and they are part of the "Kobo experience".)
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #249
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Still, they might have simply broken support for "plain-text" dictionaries during a code refactoring.

(I do not think they are going to sell dictionaries, for three reasons: 1) content is not their business; 2) selling dictionaries produces low profits; 3) "free", commercial-grade dictionaries are provided by almost all their competitors, and they are part of the "Kobo experience".)
I hope you are right.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #250
ShellShock
Wizard

Yes, they could have tidied up what they thought was redundant code not used by their dictionaries anymore, not realising that we were depending on it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #251
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have gone back to 2.4.0 and interestingly I have found that the html files in the dictionary support head and body tags, which I didn't know. I had added the head and body tags to try and get the dictionary to work on 2.5.0 (no luck) but they do work on 2.4.0.
How do you use the head and body tags? I mean for what purpose can they be useful in a dictionary?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #252
ShellShock
Wizard

No use that I can see, but at least you can use a standard html page when authoring.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #253
tshering
Wizard

I see. Thank you, ShellShock
Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #254
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quick update: I exchanged some messages with KoboHelp staff, and their last one reads:

Quote:
Our Dev Team is aware of this issue and currently working on it. Thanks for the heads up.
which is promising, I guess. (I must say that they are very quick and polite.)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #255
tshering
Wizard

AlPe,
thank you for contacting the Kobo staff. I did not expect such a positive answer. Let us hope for the best.