Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Here's a quick attempt... iPhone 4S camera, point & shoot, full auto, fluorescent office lighting:

Light level 13: http://i.imgur.com/P6TUG.jpg
Light level 24: http://i.imgur.com/gMx1u.jpg
Light level 13 vs. K3: http://i.imgur.com/HCs4X.jpg
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I considered it. It's not too bad, and I'm already not noticing it much. Besides, I'd have to return the Kindle with it because it's permanently bonded inside! [or so it seems... getting it in was quite an ordeal! I was afraid I'd break something!]
I received mine today, in persimon, pretty ugly color, I was hoping more orange or more red, but it is brick colored.
Anyhow, I digress, I hear no rattling, but when I tried to swap out the PWs to see the difference between SO and non-SO with the cover, I thought I would break the kindle or the cover. It is much, much tighter than the K4 covers.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the second pic it looks like you also have a pink right top corner, but on the other pictures it looks like a great screen!
What book is that you are reading?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Looks like a dune book...

Nice you have your PW, mine was delivered today to my colleague in the US who will bring it to Europe in 2 weeks...

Regards, Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Here's a quick attempt... iPhone 4S camera, point & shoot, full auto, fluorescent office lighting:

Light level 13: http://i.imgur.com/P6TUG.jpg
Light level 24: http://i.imgur.com/gMx1u.jpg
Light level 13 vs. K3: http://i.imgur.com/HCs4X.jpg
Is it just me, or does the Kindle Keyboard look much better (more contrast) in that last photo?

And I'm guessing Dune or one of its sequels for the book.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
In the second pic it looks like you also have a pink right top corner, but on the other pictures it looks like a great screen!
What book is that you are reading?
Yep, at 24 I see the pink you mean.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the book is in the Dune series. It is Dune Messiah.

I don't see any pink in the picture, nor looking at the device now. I guess that's good, because once things are seen they are hard to unsee. :-)

As for contrast compared to the Kindle 3, I go back and forth about which is better. Sometimes I think that the 3 looks better, sometimes this one looks better. In this picture, I like the paperwhite better.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #23
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I received mine today, in persimon, pretty ugly color, I was hoping more orange or more red, but it is brick colored.
Oh the persimmon isn't nice? I actually considered that one initially, but went with the fuchsia which is really pretty. The pics I have seen posted of the persimmon look quite red, not orange at all. It's hard to ever know whose pics are accurate really. If you have a chance, would you mind posting a pic of the persimmon cover, please?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm

Yes, I'll take a picture and upload. This color is called Karmesin Red in German, not sure if there is a translation for it in English. I regret not having ordered the fuchsia instead, or just boring black.

Done: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post2260460

Last edited by xendula; 10-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Is it just me, or does the Kindle Keyboard look much better (more contrast) in that last photo?
I thought the same. The background on the KK looks darker, but the text itself also looks darker and sharper, while the text on the Paperwhite looks a bit washed out by comparison.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
I thought the same. The background on the KK looks darker, but the text itself also looks darker and sharper, while the text on the Paperwhite looks a bit washed out by comparison.
That's probably the font. The 3.4 firmware made the K3 font much bolder. I'll take another tonight with both set to the same font.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
That's probably the font. The 3.4 firmware made the K3 font much bolder. I'll take another tonight with both set to the same font.
I'm not too keen on the k3's new contrast/ font . Its too dark. I was worried that the paperwhite would be the same but if its a bit lighter I think I'd prefer that.

Hmm I've had a look at the pics, my eyesight is not very good anyway I think that's why I couldn't see the defects. I'll look out for them though when I get mine. Thanks for posting.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
twowheels
Wizard

Agreed. I liked the pre 3.4 font better.