Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Kindle Touch - first thoughts

Well, I've had my Touch for six hours, loaded it with all of my books, transferred the collections and am up and running. Yet....I'm not happy. In fact, I've already thought more than once about giving the Sony another look.

Why am I unhappy:
1. First and foremost -- screen is just a tad greener.
2. No portrait mode.
3. Had to turn refresh on every page turn on due to the shadowing in the every six page mode.
4. No tracking bar on the bottom. I would not have minded making it hiding but I liked having it.

My recollection is that the Sony has portrait and a very contrasty clean screen. Lets see how I feel after a couple of days. How is everyone else liking their touch?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Well, I've had my Touch for six hours, loaded it with all of my books, transferred the collections and am up and running. Yet....I'm not happy. In fact, I've already thought more than once about giving the Sony another look.

Why am I unhappy:
2. No portrait mode.
3. Had to turn refresh on every page turn on due to the shadowing in the every six page mode.
4. No tracking bar on the bottom. I would not have minded making it hiding but I liked having it.

My recollection is that the Sony has portrait and a very contrasty clean screen. Lets see how I feel after a couple of days. How is everyone else liking their touch?
I think you mean landscape mode? When you turn the Kindle to the side and read.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

I looked at the Sony today for the first time at Best Buy. I was very impressed with the clarity. It was noticeably better than the Sony 950.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I will be disappointed if you can't operate the KTouch in any orientation (as with all Kindles thus far). Maybe enough to return it until they add this feature back.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Why am I unhappy:
2. No portrait mode.

I had a feeling the screen contrast was the same on the KT as it's on the K4. I call it grey but it does look green when cold.

I can't see them doing away from rotating. I see what I can find on it. Okay something about the keyboard being an issue. geesh! I will stay with my K4.

The 6 page refresh on the K4 is bad too stick with every page to get a cleaner background.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-15-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I can't find any reviews on YouTube yet. Just the Endgadget one. Hmmm.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I will be disappointed if you can't operate the KTouch in any orientation (as with all Kindles thus far). Maybe enough to return it until they add this feature back.
As a DX owner can tell you, don't count on Amazon updates to bring new features.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I will be real surprised if there is no landscape mode or if there is no tracking bar at the bottom. As far as the tracking bar goes, it might be hidden until you tap the screen to enable the menu. Have you tried that?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I will be real surprised if there is no landscape mode or if there is no tracking bar at the bottom. As far as the tracking bar goes, it might be hidden until you tap the screen to enable the menu. Have you tried that?
There is no landscape but there are hints it may come later on. We will see. As for tracking I haven't read up yet on that one but I am staying with my K4.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is no landscape but there are hints it may come later on. We will see. As for tracking I haven't read up yet on that one but I am staying with my K4.
I would not want to be without TTS or qwerty text entry, hence it is Touch or nothing for me.

I am not counting on landscape showing up, but it does seem like an obvious omission and one they could easily add later on when they finish testing it and so forth. The manual makes no reference to it one way or the other. What 'hints' do you refer to?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I would not want to be without TTS or qwerty text entry, hence it is Touch or nothing for me.

I am not counting on landscape showing up, but it does seem like an obvious omission and one they could easily add later on when they finish testing it and so forth. The manual makes no reference to it one way or the other. What 'hints' do you refer to?
Kindle support is hinting it is planned for later on. So take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I can turn my Kindle sideways to read? How do I do that? and why would I want to?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wait... no landscape?? Not even on PDFs?!?!...
Could someone please confirm this, so I can cancel my order before it ships! No landscape in PDFs is a dealbraker for me.
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can turn my Kindle sideways to read? How do I do that? and why would I want to?
Press the button to change the size of the font and it is at the bottom Screen Rotation.

As to why you would want to, I'm not really sure. I have never read in landscape mode on either of my Kindles.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Press the button to change the size of the font and it is at the bottom Screen Rotation.

As to why you would want to, I'm not really sure. I have never read in landscape mode on either of my Kindles.
So that's what that big A little A button is for. Go figure. I've never had the need nor desire to mess with the factory settings. Oh well...

Hey, thanks ...I learned something new.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote