Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Harry Potter E-Books to be DRM Free.

I just read on Ars Technica that instead of DRM she will use a watermarking feature on the files similiar to what I-Tunes uses.

Hopefully this leads to the end of DRM for E-Books.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
That is good news. I have not yet bought a book with DRM and I have no plans to do so. I do want to buy these books and DRM would have been a deal breaker.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I already have the HP books in epub, DRM-free, and in Spanish. Google is your friend.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
I already have the HP books in epub, DRM-free, and in Spanish. Google is your friend.

She missed the train.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

The fact that she purposely thumbed her nose at us for over a decade makes me just want to say, "MEH"! I might have read one of her HP books if she hadn't been such as ass about releasing eBooks. But as I've known for a long time she is no more than a business woman trying to make as much as she can off of her HP empire. And now that she decided to capitalize off of eBooks, she picks Sony to partner with. Sony, the company that least cares about its eBook customers, has the worst eBook library software and website, and sells eReaders which they don't support well with accessories. Anybody want to guess whether her eBooks will be true digital text or scanned images? I wouldn't be surprised to see scanned images!
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
I do not plan on buying any of the Harry Potter books. They are not really my taste. I was just interested in the fact that she was going to sell them DRM free.

As far as the Sony stuff. I like my Sony readers and dont have any trouble with their software or store. I am a little irritated about the accessories situation though. There is basically no selection out there for cases for my 950.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
There is basically no selection out there for cases for my 950.
Apparently at least some Nook Color and Kindle 2 cases fit the 950.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
DRM free is <3

She'll have to write some new books though for me to buy them
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

She missed the train.
Maybe for the 'clued up' readers

But I'm sure there will be countless others who will buy the Harry Potter eBooks just because they are there, so don't worry I'm sure Ms Rowling will make a bundle out of releasing them in this format.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Maybe for the 'clued up' readers

But I'm sure there will be countless others who will buy the Harry Potter eBooks just because they are there, so don't worry I'm sure Ms Rowling will make a bundle out of releasing them in this format.
Oh, you are right. She definitely will.

She won't get another penny from me though.
I have two and 1/3 of HP sets. 1 and 1/3 of which are special editions. Enough is enough
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I admit I'll probably buy them if only to have legal versions and since I am a bit of a fan. I only have 1 set of them, most of which cost $4 at Half Price Books. We would always buy the latest one as a family and stay up for hours after the release reading it out loud to each other until eventually falling asleep and whoever woke up first got to finish it before handing it off to someone else in the family.

I have really fond memories of reading the sixth book in particular. I was living in northwestern Wyoming at the time of its release and 2 of my sisters were visiting We got the book in the mail on the day of it's release and would read it aloud in the car while driving to Yellowstone, during the evenings while camping at Yellowstone, and then on the drive home to Texas. Dumbledore's final scene came right as we were driving into Dallas and we all got a bit teary eyed. Ah, memories. Yes, I'll go ahead and fork over the money for legal drm-free copies of HP. It's worth it.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
jswinden

you do sound remarkably like a jilted lover.
It is not that difficult to say something negative about any of the companies that are active in the ebook market. Who should she rather partner with? With "you may read our ebooks on any reader as long as it is a Kindle" Amazon?
Rowling has a global audience and she therefore needs a partner that can cater to such an audience. The world of Amazon consists of the US and Canada, parts of Europe and Japan. No other ebook markets in languages apart from English and German. That's it. Not very global.
Anyway, the site is probably much more about merchandising of all sorts of stuff than just about ebooks. Sony can also provide console games etc. That's going to make much more money than just the books.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Oh, you are right. She definitely will.

She won't get another penny from me though.
I have two and 1/3 of HP sets. 1 and 1/3 of which are special editions. Enough is enough
Nor me. I have only ever bought one of the books, that being the last one, but I've read them all.

To be honest I have no desire to read them again, but if they keep Sony in the reader market then that has to be a good thing.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Welcome to a duplicate thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Welcome to a duplicate thread.