Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
To Root, or not to Root... that is the question

Hey all,
I've been pretty pleased with how my NC works. I've got quite a lot of gripes though- one is how crappy the on screen keyboard is. I'm expecting a keyboard/ correct engine similar to what's on my iPhone, but that may be wishful thinking.

Anyway, I want to root now. Or at least I think I do. I've got a good number of books and magazine subscriptions on my NC currently. If I root, will I still be able to get my updates and access the books I purchased on the device?
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I don't have any magazine subscriptions, but all the books I had before I rooted were still there after.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Have you bought any books on the bn.com site from the Nook Color since you rooted it? Can you still do that?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I haven't bought any.....but have downloaded several free ones (from B&N and borders) before and after rooting.......no issues.....I'm pretty sure it's the same.......I'm more of a borrow from the library type guy.........haven't tried the magazine thing yet........

Oh.......certainly other keyboard options available if you decide to root......

Last edited by The Joker; 01-24-2011 at 01:55 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Books and magazines work normally after rooting.

In fact, very little about the B&N side changes after rooting. The only things I've noticed were the loss of the "read in store" feature and that the little book icon in the task bar doesn't always take me back to the book I was reading. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

But those are very minor inconveniences compared to the ability to use a real browser, play games, use YouTube, etc.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Definitely root. I waited 2 months because I was pretty happy with stock NC, but it is a completely different device after I root it last week. Virtually every facet is customizable. It is definitely worth it and everyone here on the Nook dev subforum is so helpful, you won't run into too much problem.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I've bought a number of books from B&N after rooting. Still works fine.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Great. I got a micro SD card and rooted today.

I'm not sure if it went off 10x10. I followed the guide at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872490

I ran into two bumps:

My NC was on, but sleeping when I put the imaged card in. I plugged it in, and it woke up but didn't seem to be doing anything. After ten minutes, I slid the button to unlock it. It went into USB mode, and I let it sit for another ten minutes. Nothing.

I disconnected it and powered it off. It wouldn't power on. I removed the card and it did power on, and told me to touch the android, then proceeded with setup.

I was concerned for a second that it kept referring to the device as a phone, but I know that Android OS is usually on phones so that didn't bother me.

Everything looks exactly the same. I have the YouTube and Gmail apps, plus a bunch of others. I'm still learning how to use it, as I've been a diehard iPhone OS user for several years.

I got my gmail/youtube/market running. Is that it? My custom wallpaper carried over, and everything. I've tried to run through the rooting process again, but haven't been successful.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
Great. I got a micro SD card and rooted today.
Great! For further questions you should probably post over in the Developers forum, since that's where all discussion of how to root and how to use your rooted Nook goes.

Quote:
My NC was on, but sleeping when I put the imaged card in. I plugged it in, and it woke up but didn't seem to be doing anything. After ten minutes, I slid the button to unlock it. It went into USB mode, and I let it sit for another ten minutes. Nothing.
Yes. It needs to boot up with the card in, not just wake up with the card in. But do post over in the Developer forum if you have more questions.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote