Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #31
krishvr
krishvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk View Post
Hello ,
I have 3.0.2 and I installed this but the tamil characters are not being displayed properly.I couldnot figure where I am going wrong.This is how I did it

1.copied the src folder and update_*_install.bin file corresponding to my version in the root folder.

2.placed the fertigo tamil folder in the root folder .

And how do I change the typeface? BTW I have duokan installed in my kindle.Will that affect this in any way ?

Thanks
1. First you got to install jail break hack
2. Second, install font hack
3. manually copy the fonts to linkfonts\fonts folder. I recommend restart using blank reboot file in the linkfonts folder
4. I don't have kindle 3rd gen. as per murali's comment, if you press the Aa key on the keyboard, you can set the typeface to regular. you should be able to read the document then.
krishvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
krishvr
krishvr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishvr View Post
I followed all the steps. I could get the parthiban kanavu book with the text displaying in tamil name adjacent to it. However, when i load the book, jumbled characters are displayed. Kindle 2nd generation doesnt provide option to change the typeface. When i use Aa key in the keyboard, i can only change font size, orientation but not typeface. Is there anyway, i can set typeface to regular in Kindle 2nd generation key board device?
Update from my end.

Finally, i figured out, how to make this working in kindle 2nd generation international edition.

1. After following all the steps, i still had the problem of seeing the title in tamil text and content inside the book in jumbled characters.
2. I suspected something wrong with serif_regular font. Since the title was showing properly, i copied the serif_bold font as serif_regular and removed the existing one from linkfonts/fonts folder. After a framework restart using reboot file, i could start reading the tamil document attached in the beginning of the thread. I believe this is the hack for the 2nd gen device as there is no option to set the typeface to regular.
krishvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
subra
subra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi
Fertigo Tamil Fonts

Hi Murali,
I tried the Fertigo Tamil Fonts RAR file. That file does not contain any Tamil Fonts. I have hacked Kindle 3 as per the instructions and installed Fertigo Tamil Fonts file. Still i am getting garbled image only. Am I missing something? Please advise.
Thanks
Subra
subra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #34
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Aaah... Good to see some tamilins on this forum
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
karthikk
karthikk began at the beginning.

Hi All!!! I'm Karthik. New to this forum. I bought a new kindle (version 3.3)I want to read lot of Tamil books...I have tried in many ways to convert Tamil books for kindle but no use ..Is there any other way to read Tamil books without jailbreak? I'm afraid to do it.. Please reply me ..
karthikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #36
pvicc
pvicc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
No need to jailbreak

It is simple easy and working for me.

Please go through this step by step
http://booksprung.com/change-the-fon...out-hacking-it

My only problem is wide margin when i convert directly from project madurai.

Please download some tsc fonts and read.

Cheers
pvicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
sriramvenkatesan
sriramvenkatesan began at the beginning.

Can any one tell on how to make the below page readable as a MOBI/EPUB format on Kindle 4

http://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_ete...ni0005_02.html

I have been trying for a long time but could not get it through.

I have already jail broke my Kindle 4

Thanks
sriramvenkatesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #38
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

Looks correct to me, even though I obviously don't understand anything.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
sriramvenkatesan

@ixtab, are you able to see the tamil fonts? What font hacks have you installed? Thanks. I am able to read this in Calibre. But when I open it in my Kindle 4 it shows junk characters and not the tamil fonts?

I have already installed the Tamil fonts using the Font Hack. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #40
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramvenkatesan View Post
@ixtab, are you able to see the tamil fonts? What font hacks have you installed? Thanks. I am able to read this in Calibre. But when I open it in my Kindle 4 it shows junk characters and not the tamil fonts?

I have already installed the Tamil fonts using the Font Hack. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks
I don't have any font hacks installed. Newer Kindles support the full UTF-8 spectrum without any hacks. So maybe you are actually having problems *because* you messed with the fonts

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-04-05T07_08_05-0000.gif
Views:	398
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	93124
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Converted_file_209c82ee.mobi (198.4 KB, 268 views)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #41
sriramvenkatesan

@ixtab, does Kindle 4 support (non Touch) the full UTF-8 spectrum without any hack?

Thanks

Last edited by sriramvenkatesan; 10-01-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sriramvenkatesan: Yes, as does the K3. (Well, I wouldn't say the full unicode range, because that's unrealistic, but *a lot* of it. Same as the K5.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #43
kindlevikatan
kindlevikatan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for this post. After this jailbread and font change, I alwasy reading tamil in my kindle. Moreover now I developed a software to screen scrap vikatan magazines and create mobi book.
See this blog for more info

http://kindlevikatan.wordpress.com
kindlevikatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #44
pondyanand
pondyanand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Tamil Font : Req correct settings

Hi,
Many thanks for this thread; I'm able to read tamil in my Kindle 3.
Have one query. When I try to change HTML to mobi (with all the process mentioned); the font seems to be bit thin on one side and narrow. But it's readable and no issues in Tamil per se.

Can you please help in the right formatting of the fonts (size, font name etc) when I format in Word before converting to HTML->UnitoTASCII->MOBI.

Regards,
Anand V
pondyanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #45
enovel
enovel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 6'' WiFi 2GB with Special Offers (Imported)
Suggestion for ebook reader

I am planning to purache Kindle 6'' WiFi 2GB with Special Offers (Imported).
All my ebooks (in tamil) are in pdf format. I am having the PDF mostly with scanned copies of real book. Is it possible to read those pdf in kindle ereader.
enovel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, tamil, tscii, unicode