Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Sony Daily Reader sell and get nook?

I am thinking of selling or trading my Sony Daily Reader for the Nook.

I like the Sony and I think it has the best user interface. However I am getting older and my eyes are finding it harder to get use to the little darker screen.

I saw the nook at the store and liked the screen, plus it is a newer gadget!

I noticed something called nooklauncher and I am curious what this can do and if it has enough features to make the decsion to switch to nook a little easier

Anyone want to shoot my their opinions?

Last edited by shrktank; 02-11-2010 at 09:26 PM.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You should post this in the nook forum for timelier responses.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Personally after the recent updates and soft rooting my nook I think that it is the best reader out there. Though the annotation/note taking feature really does not work yet so if note taking is a big thing for you beware.

Check out this post by Mos for some excellent videos of nook launcher in action.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=mos

Trook is great!

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 02-11-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added link
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post

I like the Sony and I think it has the best user interface. However I am getting older and my eyes are finding it harder to get use to the little darker screen.

I noticed something called nooklauncher and I am curious what this can do and if it has enough features to make the decsion to switch to nook a little easier

Are you talking about Sony PRS 900 ? It is newer than Nook.

Last edited by robertpolson; 02-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
akira28
Nameless Being

If you find the Sony screen too dark due to your aging eyes why, in heavens, are you looking for another e-ink screen? They are all low contrast devices.
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
If you find the Sony screen too dark due to your aging eyes why, in heavens, are you looking for another e-ink screen? They are all low contrast devices.
The Nook has the best contrast and is way better in dim light!
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I went to Barnes & Noble today to look at the nook. I also brought my Sony PRS-900.

I must admit the fonts are much crisper and the background seemed to be a little whiter tone on the nook.

Although I love the interface on the Sony, I went ahead and ordered the nook today.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
CarolC
CarolC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sony vs Nook

My Sony 600 died at 18 months (insured) so I went to look for a replacement. Fortunately, I had finished my purchased books and was going to try library books. I loved the reader -- everything except the screen was difficult to read in certain light conditions and I had to use the light that came in the cover.
I really wanted another Sony, but when I compared them all at the store, I fell for the Nook Color and bought it. I absolutely love it! The contrast is amazing, it's quite easy to buy books, and the ones I looked up were the same price through Sony, B&N and Amazon. Plus with the Nook, there is the added bonus of chess, which I enjoy. I'm not sure if I can get library books, though.
CarolC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Many folks have commented that the background on the Nook screen is whiter and that they prefer that. This is the third or fourth person who has shared that observation this week.

No matter what the manufacturers tell us, the clarity of the screen is going to be based on individual perception. I could see some difference between the Pearl and older screen but not nearly as much as people 10-20 years older then I. Now I am reading about the whiter background on the older screen being prefered to the greyer screen on the Pearl.

I have no idea about Nook Launch but if you find that you prefer the Nook's screen then that is a perfectly good reason for buying a Nook.

I would caution you to hold onto your Sony for a bit. You could find that the navigation differences between the Nook and Sony are different enough that you want to keep the Sony.

I think moving from a Sony to the Nook, Kindle, or Kobo is going to be a bit interesting for anyone. Once you are use to using the touchscreen on the Sony to do anything using the buttons or smaller LCD screen for navigation could feel awkward.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolC View Post
My Sony 600 died at 18 months (insured) so I went to look for a replacement. Fortunately, I had finished my purchased books and was going to try library books. I loved the reader -- everything except the screen was difficult to read in certain light conditions and I had to use the light that came in the cover.
I really wanted another Sony, but when I compared them all at the store, I fell for the Nook Color and bought it. I absolutely love it! The contrast is amazing, it's quite easy to buy books, and the ones I looked up were the same price through Sony, B&N and Amazon. Plus with the Nook, there is the added bonus of chess, which I enjoy. I'm not sure if I can get library books, though.
You can get Library books on your Nook Color. I imagine it works the same was as it did with your Sony.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Are you talking about the PRS900? Because the screen on the PRS950 is MUCH, MUCH better (lighter background and darker letters, less glare).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Many folks have commented that the background on the Nook screen is whiter and that they prefer that. This is the third or fourth person who has shared that observation this week.
Umm, this person shared her observation last February.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post

Sony are great devices! But if you are in the mood of establishing some comparisons, buy the Nook from a Best Buy store (in my area, it is less problematic for returns than the B&N store itself) and keep both devices for a day or two. Just that way you can tell for yourself if you like it or not.

Hardware perspective though, most recent Sony and Kindle 3 have better eink screen, and that's not an opinion but a scientific fact. But again, go and get the Nook or better yet, both, Nook 1st gen and most recent Sony, if you can afford that. Keep the one you think is better for your eyes.

*EDIT*
Never mind, just saw you order the Nook ;-)

Last edited by jocampo; 01-21-2011 at 09:26 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Umm, this person shared her observation last February.
No, the response was to CarolC at #8, who resurrected this old thread on the 21st, only a few days ago.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
No, the response was to CarolC at #8, who resurrected this old thread on the 21st, only a few days ago.
I can't tell the zombies from the humans.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote