Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
jetBook New Firmware v033c is Ready!

After much expectation, jetBook's new Firmware v033c is ready for download!

Link:
http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php

Let's see what changes and new features it contains and compare notes here. Can't wait to install it.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just downloaded it.

I'm going to install it and see if this solves the curly quotes problem I've been having with some files (as mentioned in another thread).

Let me say that I am really impressed with the Jetbook. If it could ONLY read .lit files.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just downloaded it.

I'm going to install it and see if this solves the curly quotes problem I've been having with some files (as mentioned in another thread).

Let me say that I am really impressed with the Jetbook. If it could ONLY read .lit files.

Don
Does it have a readme that says what was changed? If so please post.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see a Readme file.

I'm going to try and install it now. The information from their site says this is a Beta version, however. I'm still going to install it.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Lord_Pall
Lord_Pall began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, reb1200, reb1100
Installed. Sort of a drawn out process this time around..

It didn't nuke my books this time.

I've had a few files that locked up the whole device, some epubs, but more recently, and RTF file that I got to the end of last night. That file still locks up (perpetual loading hourglass) on the new firmware.

So that's a bust so far.

Installing Calibre to test some of the more useful conversions.
Lord_Pall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Lord_Pall
Lord_Pall began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, reb1200, reb1100
Installed calibre again, converted the recalcitrant rtf into an epub (took about 6 minutes), sent it to the jetbook.

Main menu browser bit looks different to me. Larger font. Navigated to books and opened the epub. Hourglass..

I'll let it sit for a few minutes then reset and try a different book.

Doing 2 more conversions now. Txt to epub, same mangled rtf to html which I'm converting to epub. I'll test that html native as well as another diff html file.

Straight HTML conversion of an RTF using openoffice - Seems to work. Fontsize is different, there's a % header at the top, but I was able to read HTML. Not bad.

Txt to Epub - Converted nicely, loaded VERY fast. Might be crazy but pageturn seems faster.

Bad RTF converted to HTML and then converted to Epub - Loaded! Visually looks fine too.

Everything seems to be further to the lefthand side of the screen, but that could be a calibre setting.

10 minute review -
Not bad. Epub works, so I should be able to use calibre exclusively..

Last edited by Lord_Pall; 08-04-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Lord_Pall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Interesting! Took me a while, but I upgraded the firmware without any problems. A couple first impressions/problems:

-ePub support is much better, and now includes pictures I wasn't seeing before! (For example: The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus from this site)
-Menus from within books seem to take a long time to draw (or they draw in stages, jerky)
-There is a funny black area and white mark in the lower-left corner of books in portrait mode. Anyone else seeing this? It takes up part of the vertical screen area. PDF's don't have it, and neither does landscape.
-TXT files do not seem to be displaying all breaks correctly (noticeable mostly in Table of Contents of included books, such as Peter Pan or The Invisible Man, etc)

Last edited by Kralik; 08-04-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: TXT note
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Is HTML a supported format with the update??
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

What are the "right buttons"?

There is only ONE right directional button.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What are the "right buttons"?

There is only ONE right directional button.

Don
What are you referring to?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
What are you referring to?
From Step 1 (of a 2-step process):

Firmware Update - Step 1

1. Before implementing the update, please ensure that your jetBook is fully charged
2. Ensure the SD card with the "firmware" folder has been inserted into your jetBook
3. Press and hold the "Power" button and the "Right" buttons simultaneously for approximately 5 seconds. You will then see the update inquiry screen.
4. Please follow the instructions shown on the jetBook display to update to the latest firmware. The overall update process takes about 10 to 15 minutes. During implementation, do not interrupt the process.
5. When the update is complete, please follow the instruction to power-off or reset your jetBook.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well the right button and the power button are two buttons. Where is the confusion?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well the right button and the power button are two buttons. Where is the confusion?

Dale
Agree. Just hold down the right arrow key and then push the power key for 5 seconds or so (tip I read here says you don't need to continue holding down power). Continue to hold down the right button.

For the second step, the Menu and Font buttons are the upper left and upper right on the button pad.

Can anyone else confirm the issues I was having with the extra bottom spacing, text file linebreaks, menus, etc?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Doggone those coordinating conjunctions!

Well, I still tried to update, but nothing. (My unit is 2/3 charged, so I just now plugged it in to have a full charge.)

But...I was playing around with it, presssing the "Power" and the "right arrow" button, but nothing was happening except the unit would turn on and then go off.

I'll wait until it's fully charge and try again.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I haven't installed this update yet, but when I installed 30i, I had to reboot (reset button on back) first. It wouldn't go into setup until I did.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote