Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hyphenation

Hello there,

I have one simple question about pocketbook ereaders : do they support soft-hyphens ? My kobo doesn't and it's an important feature to me...

Thanks !
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Edit: Wrong answer. I don't know if soft hyphens are supported or not.

Last edited by rkomar; 09-12-2014 at 02:26 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have any simple ebooks with soft hyphens that can be used to test to see if they work on PocketBook devices? It would have to be something that you can distribute freely. I'm also curious why you're so keen on the soft hyphens. All of the reading apps do auto-hyphenation with language specific rulesets. Soft hyphenation isn't as important now as it used to be in the old days before auto-hyphenation. I've also heard that it can affect word searches, if the soft hyphen isn't ignored by the search algorithm.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well here is the thing: I have a kobo, which has a built-in hyphenation engine. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well. I did a lot of experiment, tried several dictionaries, and even created a dictionnary myself... But it kept cutting words at places no rule would allow, and even at places specificaly forbidden by some rules. The hyphenation engine just seems broken.

The solution for me would be to use soft hyphens inserted by some other program like "hyphenate this". I tried "Hyphenate this", and saw that it inserted correct soft hyphens. Unfortunately, my kobo can't display them.

I know I will, at some point, get another reader (I need one with backlight anyway), so I'd like to know if pocketbooks can do this (the new ultra looks really cool).

Here a (french) book with soft hyphens so : [dead link] It's the first book of "The Three Musketeers", it's public domain, so it's ok

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by Simboubou; 04-09-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simboubou View Post
Here a (french) book with soft hyphens so : http://webia.lip6.fr/~bourigaults/mousquetaires.epub
It's the first book of "The Three Musketeers", it's public domain, so it's ok
That link doesn't work for me.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That link doesn't work for me.
Indeed, my bad. Here it is : [deadlink]

Last edited by Simboubou; 04-09-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard

It looks to me like the soft hyphens are handled correctly using both of the reader apps on my 623. I've provided a screen shot from each so that you can see if they are displayed correctly.

Edit: Whoops, it looks like fbreader doesn't handle hyphenation correctly. I don't see any being added at the end of lines. Strange.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp AdobeViewer.bmp (380.1 KB, 488 views)
File Type: bmp fbreader.bmp (380.1 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by rkomar; 09-14-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Thank you very much !

Hyphenation seems correct on the first screenshot. Is "Adobe viewer" the default reader ?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard

Yes. The default is AdobeViewer, and you have to perform some extra steps to use fbreader instead.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
Simboubou
Connoisseur

Ok that is cool. Thanks for your help !