Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Zikerzee
Zikerzee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Problem getting book from Calibre to Kindle

Hi--

So I have two kindles, a touch and a keyboard and I was trying to transfer a book from the touch to the keyboard and one from the keyboard to the touch. In Calibre both books show up and I can read them there, but when I have tried to read them on the other kindle nothing shows up, I've tried re-converting it to MOBI and connecting directly, but for some reason I can't get it to work. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Zikerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Zikerzee

The error I keep getting on the Kindles is:

Unable to Open Item
The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it again from Archived Items on Home.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If the ebooks have DRM, you can't transfer them from one Kindle to another. You have to download a copy of the ebook coded for the correct Kindle from your Manage My Kindle page.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Zikerzee

Thanks Synamon-- I ran them through a plug-in in Calibre that was supposed to make them transferable and I can now read them in Calibre but just not on the other kindle, does that sound like it's somehow the DRM?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikerzee View Post
Thanks Synamon-- I ran them through a plug-in in Calibre that was supposed to make them transferable and I can now read them in Calibre but just not on the other kindle, does that sound like it's somehow the DRM?
No, that doesn't make sense. If you can open them with Calibre, the DRM is gone and you should be able to open them on either Kindle.

I assume you uploaded the exact same file from calibre to each Kindle?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My suspicion is that the files got slightly scrambled somehow.

Do you have the latest version of Calibre? Have you tried deleting the books completely and starting over? Have you used every curse that you can think of? Have you knocked back a case of whiskey?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Zikerzee

Pidgeon-- Yes I've been uploading the exact same file that I can read on Calibre onto the kindles and it just doesn't work.
Fluribus-- I've updated Calibre, deleted the books from the Calibre and Kindle libraries, re-adopted them, can read them in Calibre just fine, resend them to the kindles and then i get that damn error message.... unfortunately i'm only part way through the case of whiskey, maybe that is the problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there any odd characters in the filename?

Is this the only ebook you have tried to load onto the Kindles after removing the DRM? If it works on other ebooks, then there is a problem with that file.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
What file format are you trying to transfer?
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Zikerzee

This is the first time i've tried this with post DRM books. The books are nothing exotic, "the brotherband chronicles" and "the dark is rising". I'm trying to upload them in MOBI format,

The original files were AZW3, but if you take off the 3 at the end, Calibre would accept them and you could read them in Calibre. It showed the format was MOBI as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard

The error message you are getting generally only appears when the DRM is still intact on the files.

How did you get the files into calibre? Did you take them off one of the Kindles, or did you download them from Amazon (specifying one of the Kindles as the ultimate destination after transferring via USB)?

I do wonder if the AZW3 format is the problem. When I download my Kindle books and liberate them, I download to my K2, so I don't get AZW3 files. Now I'm curious and will have to test this out.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 10-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard

So, I just updated calibre to 0.9.2, as I couldn't add an AZW3 ebook with the version I was on (0.8.39). Oddly, when I try to view the AZW3 book in calibre, instead of opening the ebook, it tries to add it again.

OK, got that problem fixed, have to change the Preferences -> Behavior to open an AZW3 file in the calibre viewer. Once this is done, you don't need to change the file extension on the file.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 10-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard

There's probably a better solution, but this works:

Convert the .mobi to epub in calibre. Delete the .mobi file in calibre. Convert the epub to .mobi. Upload the .mobi to the Kindle.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 10-17-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Zikerzee

I will try it, Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Zikerzee

Oh hot damn! it worked! Thanks Pidgeon!!!

Tags
calibre, kindle