Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #16
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Could someone upload kbookassets.png so we could edit it with our own preferred info (for instance, name and contact info)? Can't figure out how to extract it from wherever it comes from.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Could someone upload kbookassets.png so we could edit it with our own preferred info (for instance, name and contact info)? Can't figure out how to extract it from wherever it comes from.
I can give u a copy, not too sure about the legalities of it :P
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #18
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I'm pretty sure at least the two of us own the readers and thus also the files inside. Your copy is just as good as the one sitting in my reader next to me. Have at it

Can you make it an attachment?
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I know I must sound rather dumb, but what should I do if I want to add just one font in particular and make it default for my books? I know I have to replace sth, but I don't quite get the process...
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
I'm pretty sure at least the two of us own the readers and thus also the files inside. Your copy is just as good as the one sitting in my reader next to me. Have at it

Can you make it an attachment?
done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookAssets.png
Views:	686
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	14783  
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
done
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom_header.png
Views:	1243
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	14788  
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #22
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Don't think I'm up to all the various file manipulations without the assistance of a grown up!

I'll wait and see (hope!) if some of these more talented folks here build a simply hack that works as it did for the 505 - ie just chose the ones you want from a menu!

I have the clock would like the unified fonts, nicer icons and for sure would love to customise the image with personal details.

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #23
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, using the slider is a bad idea. Because it would actually use more battery that way and you'd have no way to put it into sleep mode other then waiting an hour without use for it to go to sleep.
What I'd like to do is to have a slider that behaves in TWO different ways:
1- Normal operation: use slider to enter sleep-mode
2- Holding Slider for X seconds: use AND hold slider to shutdown completely the reader.

The question is if the slider behaves as a regular button that can be pushed or pushed-and-hold.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #24
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
Don't think I'm up to all the various file manipulations without the assistance of a grown up!
If you've got the clock, you must have flashed it once, so the other changes aren't really much more that that, just putting the files in the right place - take a look at my post #5 earlier in this thread. Even changing the image is just a matter of using an image editor such as Gimp, then putting the new file in the right place before re-flashing.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #25
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
OK followed the instructions in your post #5 and WOOHOOO I have the unified fonts.

Then loaded the icons file and now when I build and flash the image I get an error:

Error while flashing partition! It is recommended to switch to recovery mode and use Sony Flasher to flash a stock image.

When I remove the SD Card and switch machine back on all seems to work OK but old icons persist.

David

Last edited by macphersondh; 07-30-2008 at 11:28 AM.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #26
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
When I remove the SD Card and switch machine back on all seems to work OK but old icons persist.
Ah yes - there seems to be something that means that going step-by-step doesn't work with the current Universal Flasher...

Your Reader's fine, by the way, despite the message, but if you do want the new icons then I'm afraid that the way forward is to reflash back to the standard Sony 1.1 firmware, using the official updater app.

However, to get the official updater to work, you'll need to either unzip & edit a file inside the official flasher (see the post here) to persuade it that the firmware versions are different, or set it into update mode via the Universal Flasher.

Anyway, if you do reflash it back to the original FW, you'd then be able to re-flash with the new icons too!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #27
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Ah yes - there seems to be something that means that going step-by-step doesn't work with the current Universal Flasher...
I gather there is no problem if done all at once? Being that the case I'll wait till I can customize my screen too

I will get down to it when I unstress a little. Last day before holidays and I had to call an ambulance
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #28
Peto
Legal Alien

Done

Everything ok, except the png. I added the modified PNG next to main.xml, but I still got the "Reader" up there instead of my name...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Done

Everything ok, except the png. I added the modified PNG next to main.xml, but I still got the "Reader" up there instead of my name...
I'm not sure what you mean by adding kBookAssets.png to main.xml. I simply had to place kBookAssets.png in the same directory as main.xml when building and applying the image.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgben View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by adding kBookAssets.png to main.xml. I simply had to place kBookAssets.png in the same directory as main.xml when building and applying the image.
I just did that... I placed kBookAssets.png in the same directory as main.xml. In the SD card... Then I flashed. Didn't work.

Last edited by Peto; 07-30-2008 at 07:34 PM.