Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
PDF to PDF corruption

After Calibre added a particular PDF to the library (no conversion asked, just adding) the added PDF can't be opened in Acrobat Reader which complains the file is corrupt.

Acrobat Reader can open the original source PDF with no problem.

I conclude that Calibre does not simply copy the source PDF to its library (along with creating additional metadata) but rather does some kind of conversion (PDF to PDF).

This has happened to just a few of my PDFs. I can't figure out any special oddness in this specific PDF, other than it is rather large (45MB).

I am respectfully wondering... shouldn't Calibre just copy exactly from the source when adding to the library?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It does just copy files. Compare file sizes of the two files, or run a md5 hash on them to verify this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The file sizes are different.

Source PDF = 44.8 Mb (46,980,499 bytes)
Added PDF = 45.0 Mb (47,259,648 bytes)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By any chance do you have any of the DRM removal plugins installed? If so, that might be the problem.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
PoP

Of course, I should have thought about that. Let me try without these plugin. I'm quite sure this will correct the problem.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
PoP

Yep, problem was caused by the plugin and Calibre is clean. Sorry for bothering you Kovid. You can erase my PM too.