Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Convert to KF8 (AZW3) instead of Mobi and see if that works.
Seriously? It's only two posts back where it was discussed that the Kindle reading apps for iOS won't handle KF8.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seriously? It's only two posts back where it was discussed that the Kindle reading apps for iOS won't handle KF8.
A better solution is to forget Kindle for iOS and get an ePub reader and use that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A better solution is to forget Kindle for iOS and get an ePub reader and use that.
That won't solve the problem. As per this thread SigilBear intends to produce a book to sell to Kindle users.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've used the Books app on my iDevices, but it's not a great app. The options are limited, and I wish it had margin and line spacing control. I don't read novels too often on my iDevices, so it's not a huge deal. For cookbooks etc, it's ok.

At least the Kindle app has those options.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If the book is opening in the Apple Book app, it's not a mobi.
No, wait, guys, that's not right.

You can, absolutely, (Assuming this hasn't changed recently) open a MOBI in Kindle4iPad or Kindle4iOS, but the file you see isn't how the book would look if published. You'll see more of a KF7 (old-style) mobi, than you would how the book would actually appear.

To do that, to see the file correctly, as Diap and others mentioned, you have to go the dreaded AZK-->iTunes-->App-->Kindle reader-->method. The wired to the computer, method.

But, unless something's changed in the last few weeks of which I'm unaware, you can still email a MOBi to your iPad and open the file in K4iOS, isn't that right? You just get the wrong "version" when you do that, of the rendered file. Has that changed?

(OR, you could email the mobi to your Kindle email address, which is an option for the OP, but the fact that the Open With option isn't working kind of indicates that the file isn't right somehow.

May I ask a stupid question of the OP?

OP, you said "icon." Not filename, icon. Are you one of those folks who has file extensions turned off, on your computer? Are you sure that the file you're looking at is named "myfile.MOBI"? Can you SEE the filename? Not the icon, the actual filename?

Is it possible that "Open with" for Kindle doesn't recognize the file because a) the file extension isn't "visible" to it, or b) because the file extension ISN'T mobi, but perhaps is AZW3?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I meant the Books app, or whatever it is called now. Apple's app for their books.

I didn't mean the Kindle app.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I meant the Books app, or whatever it is called now. Apple's app for their books.

I didn't mean the Kindle app.
AHAH!

Okey-doke got it. You really had me going for a moment there, Desk! :-) I thought, "Hitch, old girl, you're losing the plot if you didn't know that!"

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobi