Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
best Kindle DX substitute

I just found out that the lower part of the screen of my beloved Kindle DX stopped working.
A hard reset temporarily solved the problem, but it keeps on happening and from what I did read the device is probably lost.

It's some years since I skipped the ereaders forums, so I'm not updated anymore: what would you suggest as a replacement, considering that the only items of importance for me are
1) a similar screen size (9.7'')
2) full compatibility with calibre and epub and similar open formats

I do not even need it to be touch sensitive or other bells-and-whistles (youngsters!)

thanks for any help...
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you live in the US, the Kobo Forma with an 8" screen is your best bet as it's also the easiest to get with a screen larger then 7".

Kobo is very well integrated with Calibre and it handles ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
It's some years since I skipped the ereaders forums, so I'm not updated anymore: what would you suggest as a replacement, considering that the only items of importance for me are
1) a similar screen size (9.7'')

I do not even need it to be touch sensitive or other bells-and-whistles (youngsters!)
I don't think you're going to find much in the 10" size that doesn't have "bells and whistles." These are marketed as premium readers and are expected to have the newest features.

You might want to look into the new PocketBook InkPad X. It's 10.3", uses the Mobius substrate (which makes it light, 300 grams – 10.5 ounces). It has a touch screen, front light (with the warm tone choice), 32 GBs built in, has BlueTooth, Text To Speech and 19 eBook format choices.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch

I think GoodEReader sells them in this country. I'm guessing you could find a dealer in Europe who would ship to the U.S. (It looks like Grooves has them.)

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...ign=froogle_us

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...tbook-inkpad-x

Newegg also has them in stock...

https://www.newegg.com/p/0VG-00FH-00...&source=region

This is one choice. I think Onyx Boox makes a 10.3" reader as well.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-26-2020 at 10:43 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:45 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I 1) a similar screen size (9.7'')
10.3 inch eInk Android devices are available from
- Boox Notes (some versions)
- Likebook Nootes, Alita, Mimas
With the Android app Calibre Companion you are fully Calibre compatible
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
However an 8" forma will do PDFs better than the DXG as the 7" Libra works "better".
I use a 10" tablet for PDFs and other documents not true ebooks. I'd get a 12" or 14" tablet with Wacom for the price of a 10.3" eink if I had the money, maybe cost less.
The Sony 13" Digital Paper is too locked down, needs Sony host program, needs good lighting and only PDF. It's really a virtual PDF format printer for Windows/Mac with annotation on the virtual printout. So for offices.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #6
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
thank you guys - I remembered well that the mobileread community is the best ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you live in the US, the Kobo Forma with an 8" screen is your best bet
Good call from what I see, but the 9.7'' size really spoiled me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think you're going to find much in the 10" size that doesn't have "bells and whistles." These are marketed as premium readers and are expected to have the newest features.
I don't have anything against bells-and-whistles ... I just wanted to state that for me they arent necessary...

Quote:
You might want to look into the new PocketBook InkPad X
That seems interesting - and I'm lazy so I checked on amazon.it and they are sold there

Quote:
This is one choice. I think Onyx Boox makes a 10.3" reader as well.
I think you are talking about the BOOX Note2 ? Seems interesting, though at a higher price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
10.3 inch eInk Android devices are available from
- Boox Notes (some versions)
- Likebook Nootes, Alita, Mimas
OK The BOOX - while I didnt find anything about Likebook Nootes, Alita, Mimas above the 7.8'' size...

So to sum it up - if I may ask for a last suggestion: there is some good comparison here (I trust mobileread) between the BOOX Note2 and the PocketBook InkPad X ?
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
OK The BOOX - while I didnt find anything about Likebook Nootes, Alita, Mimas above the 7.8'' size...
Likebook Alita
Quote:
So to sum it up - if I may ask for a last suggestion: there is some good comparison here (I trust mobileread) between the BOOX Note2 and the PocketBook InkPad X ?
I don't know the Note2, but I've had a bad experience with the Nova2, while I'm very happy with Likebook (Alita and Ares).
I don't know Pocketbook either, so I can't say anything
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote