Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
snomoto
snomoto began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Unhappy How to make endnotes that link properly when using split markers

I'm using Sigil 1.9.10 to create my ebook and did the whole book in epub2.0 before learning I had issues with endnote links. When I opened up my ebook in Apple Books, the linked note just went to the start of the chapter, not the References chapter at the end of the book.

I did another test and the links work fine, but soon as I go to Split At Markers (to divide the ebook into chapters), I get the warning attached, which confirms the links will break after the split.

Would appreciate any help on how I can split markers to create book chapters, while still retaining note links going to the end of the book.

I believe because I created an epub2.0, I didn't get the warning when I used Split At Markers, and created my book without knowing this issue would occur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil warning.png
Views:	114
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	194118  
snomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That really has nothing to do with epub2 or Split At Markers. Split at markers does know how to update WORKING links. This message is telling you you have an existing link to the id _edn1 but that id is not defined in that file which means it is NOT a working link.

Splitting with broken links can be a disaster.

Find and fix all of your broken links first.

Try running the Reports tool and go to the Links Report and see if you can use it to help track down broken links.

Once you have working links, then Split At Markers should work and properly update hrefs to point to the proper newly created file.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-03-2022 at 06:46 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
snomoto
snomoto began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
I did another test. Found out the links work if it's got the section name at the start of the link: <a href="section.xhtml#edn1" name="#ednref1">

Thank you for your help!
snomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The name attribute was long deprecated. You kight want to change name to id and remove the leading # as it is not valid in an id. So id="ednref1"

The fragment identifier part of the href is where the # is used to denote what follows is an id.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-03-2022 at 08:10 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endnotes, footnotes, split markers