Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #76
raulua
raulua began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Another language added

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
(1) Added Bulgarian and (2) made some rather important fixes for the Russian letter book sorting. I also (3) incorporated Damas's Lithuanian translation, which seemed a bit more thorough than the one from stasys.

As far as paring down the locales. It is really very simple as the locales are limited to:
main.xml
(1) The switch statement that switches between locales when pushing the number 1 in the About screen. This can be easily cut to only do English and one locale - this way there will be no annoying switching through many languages. If this code is pared down, the rest of the locale-specific code is harmless and can stay as is. In fact, in PRSCustomizer you could make checkbox-type selection of included locales, and enable the ones selected, while the rest of them just cannot be activated (although the locale-specific code is still present in the firmware).
(2) The if/else sequence, where I set some variables to be used as messages
(3) The 2 long JS functions per locale parsing Titles and Menu items.
(4) The getTitle, where we call getTitleXx
(5) The getValue, where we call getValueXx

in starageMain.xml there is one if/else sequence.

The JS code is rather primitive, should be very easy to understand.
Added Catalan after Spanish and before German. There was an error on same languages that didn't traslate '1 book - page 1'. This has been fixed, too.

Great job, porkupan!!
raulua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #77
Elian
Elian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hungarian translation

Dear porkupan!

Here is my hungarian translation. The used date format is: YYYY.MM.DD

// Titles
"Könyvek cím szerint"
"Könyvek szerző szerint"
"Könyvek dátum szerint"
"Gyűjtemények"
"Minden könyvjelző"
"Zene"
"Képek"
"Beállítások"
"Előzmények"
"Könyvjelzők"
"Tartalomjegyzék"
"Segédprogramok"
"Haladó beállítások"
"Tájolás"
"Dátum és idő"
"Diavetítés"
"Készenléti mód"
"Névjegy"
"Alapértelmezés visszaállítása"
"Eszköz zárolás"
"Belső memória formázása"
"Eszköz leállítása"

// Menu Items
"Olvasás folytatása"
"Könyvek cím szerint"
"Könyvek szerző szerint"
"Könyvek dátum szerint"
"Gyűjtemények"
"Minden könyvjelző"
"Most játszott"
"Zene"
"Képek"
"Beállítások"
"Előzmények"
"Könyvjelzők"
"Tartalomjegyzék"
"Segédprogramok"
"Haladó beállítások"
"Tájolás"
"Dátum és idő"
"Diavetítés"
"Készenléti mód"
"Névjegy"
"Eszköz zárolása"
"Eszköz leállítása"
"Kezdet"
"Vég"
"Infó"
"Minden könyvjelző eltávolítása"
"Előzmények törlése"
"Könyv törlése"
"Egyéb"
"Ma"
"E hetet megelőzően"
"Ezen a héten"
"E hónapot megelőzően"
"Az elmúlt hónapban"
"Az elmúlt negyedévet megelőzően"
"Ebben a negyedévben"
"Ez évnél korábban"
"Az elmúlt évben"
"Régebbi"
"Nincs oldal"
"Nincs elem"
"Nincs dal"
"Nincs könyvjelző"
"Nincs könyv"
"Nincs gyűjtemény"
"Nincs kép"
"Nincs segédprogram"
"1 oldal"
"1 elem"
"1 dal"
"1 könyvjelző"
"1 könyv"
"1 gyűjtemény"
"1 kép"
"1 segédprogram"
"N oldal"
"N elem"
"N dal"
"N könyvjelző"
"N könyv"
"N gyűjtemény"
"N kép"
"N segédprogram"
"N beállítás"
"Egyéb"
"Függőleges"
"Vízszintes"
"Kikapcsolva"
"Bekapcsolva"

// Miscellaneous strings
"Eszköz leállítása"
"Névjegy"
"X-ből Y"
"1-ből 1"
"Könyv törlése"
"Most játszott"
"oldal"
"Alacsony töltöttség!"
"Formázás..."
"Betöltés..."

// USB Related strings
"USB kapcsolat"
"Ne válassza le"
"Az eszköz zárolt"

Many thanks for your excellent work!
Elian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #78
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Little Bug in Locale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I've just finished modifing main.xml and mainStorage.xml for THAI locale by replacing France. I found one tiny error on main.xml with all language, see this sample code.
------------------------------------------------------------------
default:
if(result.length> 13 && (result.lastIndexOf ("books - Page") > 0))
{
text = result.replace(/books - Page/g,"Bücher - Seite");
}
else if(result.length> 12 && result.lastIndexOf("book - Page")>0)
{
text = result.replace(/books - Page/g,"Buch - Seite");
}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second result.replace() must use with "/book - page/g" with no "s"

The result is it will not change the locale for the amount of book is not plural (<2).

Keng2000
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #79
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
keng2000 - Thanks, good catch!
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #80
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The new language translations - thanks for adding those! I am a bit busy at the moment, no time to add them into the firmware yet. I will try to find time soon. If someone wants to try and put the localization(s) into the firmware, I will be happy to check and verify the final product.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #81
mkah
Burumdaaru
mkah began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
I bought the Sony PRS-505 from France, thus the Menu interface is in French. How do I change the language settings from French to English?

Best regards
mkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #82
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkah View Post
I bought the Sony PRS-505 from France, thus the Menu interface is in French. How do I change the language settings from French to English?
Flash the Reader with PRSCustomizer using the localization options [EDIT] but first overwrite your firmware with the US version before using PRSC [/EDIT]. Then you will be able to switch to English or one of the other languages provided.

Last edited by Valloric; 11-30-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarification
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #83
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Flash the Reader with PRSCustomizer using the localization options. Then you will be able to switch to English or one of the other languages provided.
That will brick his Reader due to firmware changes in 1.3

This new French (1.3) firmware introduces "official" localization that depends on external language files: for the French firmware (1.3) kbookLanguageAssets_en-US.xml or
kbookLanguageAssets_fr-FR.xml. To select English the main.xml must be modified. I haven't discovered a keystroke to make the switch.

In main.xml change
Code:
<kbookLanguages id="LANG" default="fr" width="0" height="0" visible="false">
to
Code:
<kbookLanguages id="LANG" default="en" width="0" height="0" visible="false">
I've attached a main.xml file that you can use to swap languages on your 505. Download a copy of PRSCustomizer and copy the contents of its folder sdcard to the root of an sd card. Be sure to copy the folder's contents, not the folder itself!

Copy the attached main.xml file into the sdcard folder: files.505.1.3.00.22070/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts

Put the card in your Reader and let Igorsk's Universal Flasher start. From it's menu, choose options #5, then #6. When your Reader reboots, it should be in English. It works here, but try this at your own risk.

If you want to switch to the US firmware you can use the US/Canadian Sony Updater.

If you are unable to run the Sony Updater because it complains that your Reader firmware is current you have two options.

1. Run Igorsk's Universal Flasher and choose option #7. This will put your Reader into firmware update mode. Then re-run the Sony Updater.

2. Uncompress the Sony Updater (it's really a big zip file) and change the file prs505/eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat so that 110018040 reads 130022071 - once that's done, the Sony Updater work at any time.
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (49.3 KB, 366 views)
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #84
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
That will brick his Reader due to firmware changes in 1.3
Whoops.

But isn't it possible to overwrite the French 1.3 firmware with the US 1.1, and then flash with PRSC? This should work.

My apologies for the mix up, should have been more specific.

Last edited by Valloric; 11-30-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #85
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
But isn't it possible to overwrite the French 1.3 firmware with the US 1.2, and then flash with PRSC? This should work.
US 1.1 - UK 1.2 - FR 1.3

Yes, for that he'll need to use the Sony Updater or obtain a new_opt.img file with the desired firmware. With the img file you can use Igorsk's UF to change out firmwares easily.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #86
Valloric

Quote:
US 1.1 - UK 1.2 - FR 1.3
It was a typo :P
Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #87
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
It was a typo :P
I figured that

Just a note regarding the French (1.3) firmware. It's very different from the US/UK variant. I've been unable to get clock working in it. At this point I can flash to it and change the language to English -- and that's about it. Other changes have just produced bricks so far.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #88
Valloric

Quote:
Just a note regarding the French (1.3) firmware. It's very different from the US/UK variant. I've been unable to get clock working in it. At this point I can flash to it and change the language to English -- and that's about it. Other changes have just produced bricks so far.
Does it look like Sony just made some changes that are inadvertently conflicting with the PRSC hacks, or does it look like they went out of their way to break it? I know, I know... they have no rational reason to do it, in fact, they would probably be hurting themselves. But it's possible, they've done it before for other devices...
Old 11-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #89
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Does it look like Sony just made some changes that are inadvertently conflicting with the PRSC hacks, or does it look like they went out of their way to break it? I know, I know... they have no rational reason to do it, in fact, they would probably be hurting themselves. But it's possible, they've done it before for other devices...
It looks inadvertent to me. They've advanced the firmware with "official" localization so if they want to roll out a German 505 (or 700? anyone looked at its firmware yet?) they just drop in an external xml file and voila! One minor change to the main.xml and they're in business. I bet some variant of 1.3 is in all our futures...If they offer another 505 firmware upgrade that is.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #90
Valloric

Quote:
It looks inadvertent to me. They've advanced the firmware with "official" localization so if they want to roll out a German 505 (or 700? anyone looked at its firmware yet?) they just drop in an external xml file and voila! One minor change to the main.xml and they're in business. I bet some variant of 1.3 is in all our futures...If they offer another 505 firmware upgrade that is.
Good. I didn't think they did it on purpose, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the info.