Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Questions about the best settings for readability

Hi,

First off, thanks for developing this software. I don't know the terms of the settings of the koreader like what does it mean 'font hinting' and its settings- off, native, auto. Which provides the best experience of reading? Same thing applies to the 'font kerning' that which setting is best? Why is it there fast and best options? I just can't make out the terms

Thanks in advance
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I think "best" for font kerning is fairly self-explanatory. ;-) Best kerning provides the best experience, but at the cost of opening the document somewhat slower. Which is well worth it to me.

There's actually a built-in explanation if you hold on the option name. Holding on an option itself allows you to set it as the default.

For font hinting it's… difficult. In principle native should be better, but some fonts just aren't very good with native, so we default to auto. Auto is very good regardless. Some discussion can be found in this issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-333471966

Since E Ink screens tend to have a fairly reasonable DPI value, it's not as if hinting off is bad either. It might even be preferable. The tl;dr is that from a sufficiently high DPI (let's say at least ~200) the differences between those options matter less and less. Just toggle between them and see which you prefer. And I imagine off should be imperceptibly faster on first load.

Edit: btw, in case any of the terminology itself is unclear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
warface9991
Connoisseur

Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
warface9991
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I think "best" for font kerning is fairly self-explanatory. ;-) Best kerning provides the best experience, but at the cost of opening the document somewhat slower. Which is well worth it to me.

There's actually a built-in explanation if you hold on the option name. Holding on an option itself allows you to set it as the default.

For font hinting it's… difficult. In principle native should be better, but some fonts just aren't very good with native, so we default to auto. Auto is very good regardless. Some discussion can be found in this issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-333471966

Since E Ink screens tend to have a fairly reasonable DPI value, it's not as if hinting off is bad either. It might even be preferable. The tl;dr is that from a sufficiently high DPI (let's say at least ~200) the differences between those options matter less and less. Just toggle between them and see which you prefer. And I imagine off should be imperceptibly faster on first load.

Edit: btw, in case any of the terminology itself is unclear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning
Sorry for bothering again. I have a question about what contrast does? When I increase it, it seems to 'blacken' the letters. But when I over-increase it like 15 the letters become ragged. What's the sweet point number of it? Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It has something to do with blending the foreground and background color. So the higher it is, the darker the blended pixels that smooth things around the edges.

The intended value is 1, plain and simple. If you like your fonts a little bolder (but not as the designer intended) just set it a little higher.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
warface9991
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It has something to do with blending the foreground and background color. So the higher it is, the darker the blended pixels that smooth things around the edges.

The intended value is 1, plain and simple. If you like your fonts a little bolder (but not as the designer intended) just set it a little higher.
Thank you very much again
Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
makara
Connoisseur
makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KA1, KLH2O, Oasis 3
How to save custom page settings for other books?
makara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Long tap on almost any setting will offer you to save the that as a default.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote