Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
sync reading position for non-Sony books?

Hi all -

I have a number of non-Sony epubs (DRM-free, creative commons, etc.) and I've been searching for ages for some way to sync them between my desktop computer and a reader device. By sync, I mean the last-page-read position, and ideally bookmarks and annotations as well.

Currently I have a Kindle, which supports syncing non-Amazon books between Kindle devices (including the iOS app), but not to the Kindle desktop app. So I'm trying to figure out whether Sony might support this. From my research and experiments so far, it seems not. But I wanted to ask here before I give up...

I set up a Sony account, and downloaded the desktop Reader for mac software. I "purchased" a free book from the Sony store, and I also imported some of my non-Sony epubs into the desktop app. Then I set up the Reader app on my iPhone. The "purchased" book showed up automatically on the iPhone, and at least syncing of last-page-read between the desktop and the iPhone app works. But the other non-Sony books didn't show up on the iPhone app. I tried loading them on with iTunes, which worked, but they don't sync. So it seems like the same situation as with the Kindle - reading position etc. sync only works with purchased books?

So, two questions:
1. would this work if I bought a Sony reader hardware device? If you add your own non-Sony epubs to the desktop app, do they show up on the device? Do they sync last-read position and bookmarks?

2. am I missing some way of making this work with the iPhone app? Is there maybe some way to upload your own epubs to the Sony store, the way you can with "personal documents" with the Kindle?

I'd really like be able to read a DRM-free book on my iPhone, an e-ink device, and my desktop, and have them all stay in sync. But as far as I can tell, there's simply no solution anywhere to do that.

Thanks...
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
Hi all -

I have a number of non-Sony epubs (DRM-free, creative commons, etc.) and I've been searching for ages for some way to sync them between my desktop computer and a reader device. By sync, I mean the last-page-read position, and ideally bookmarks and annotations as well.

Currently I have a Kindle, which supports syncing non-Amazon books between Kindle devices (including the iOS app), but not to the Kindle desktop app. So I'm trying to figure out whether Sony might support this. From my research and experiments so far, it seems not. But I wanted to ask here before I give up...

I set up a Sony account, and downloaded the desktop Reader for mac software. I "purchased" a free book from the Sony store, and I also imported some of my non-Sony epubs into the desktop app. Then I set up the Reader app on my iPhone. The "purchased" book showed up automatically on the iPhone, and at least syncing of last-page-read between the desktop and the iPhone app works. But the other non-Sony books didn't show up on the iPhone app. I tried loading them on with iTunes, which worked, but they don't sync. So it seems like the same situation as with the Kindle - reading position etc. sync only works with purchased books?

So, two questions:
1. would this work if I bought a Sony reader hardware device? If you add your own non-Sony epubs to the desktop app, do they show up on the device? Do they sync last-read position and bookmarks?

2. am I missing some way of making this work with the iPhone app? Is there maybe some way to upload your own epubs to the Sony store, the way you can with "personal documents" with the Kindle?

I'd really like be able to read a DRM-free book on my iPhone, an e-ink device, and my desktop, and have them all stay in sync. But as far as I can tell, there's simply no solution anywhere to do that.

Thanks...
I am afraid Sony can't cope with this at all. As far as i am aware they don't even have an app for phones in the UK.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
If you have the Sony Reader app (for android or apple) I think it only has the regions of US & Canada. However, if you have the Reader app on a phone and a tablet, those titles will sync. Read to chapter 3 of a story on the phone then when you have the app and go to that story on a tablet (I haven't tested it on a computer... I guess I should) it will ask if you want to open it to the last page you read and it will sync. Unfortunately it will NOT do that on the Sony ebook reader (even if you do turn the wifi on). I wish it did because that would be great.

As for loading non-Sony epubs to your reader, that can be done if they are non-drm epubs. Ebooks you buy from Barnes and Noble for instance won't load even though it is an epub unless you break the drm (I could never successfully get that to work with B&N books, but Kindles? Not horribly difficult. But you didn't hear me say that here)

There is no way to upload epubs not bought at Sony in the Sony website. You could open a dropbox account and upload your epubs there. With the reader if it is a T1 or higher, you could turn the wifi on and download the books from the mobile dropbox page to your reader easily.

The desktop software of Sony can sync all your epubs, but it doesn't it rather messily (I find it will duplicate what you have over and over again. So really not worth the effort. I never use its software at all if I can help it.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
My sync is very low tech and a holdover from paper books. I simply remember the page number I left off on. When I switch devices, I just go to that page and resume reading, no wifi required. No good for bookmarks/notes/annotations though.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
...it will ask if you want to open it to the last page you read and it will sync. Unfortunately it will NOT do that on the Sony ebook reader (even if you do turn the wifi on). I wish it did because that would be great.
I found this thread from a couple of years ago, where people are saying that sync on a Sony device does actually work - although maybe only on certain models?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152025

"Bookworm_Girl" even describes syncing last page & bookmarks on non-Sony books, between a Sony 950 and the desktop app! Which is exactly what I want... but then, it sounds like it's maybe not possible anymore? It's a bit confusing...

I do have the iOS app, and it does sync last-page to the desktop app, but only seems to work for books purchased from the Reader Store account. I can import non-DRM books into the desktop app, and load the same books into the iOS app with a USB cable. But they don't seem to sync last page or bookmarks.
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
That thread is old. It only worked for the 950 and things have changed. Greatly!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Shopaholic is correct that the newer T1/T2 models do not work like the 950. Who knows why Sony chose to go backwards in regards to their sync capability and has been slow to restore it to their newer models. Very frustrating! However....

Sony just updated their iOS app to version 1.2 on May 7th which had the following changes:
  • Added reading position sync. Now you can pick up where you left off from your compatible Reader device or other Reader apps!
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.

Make sure you update to the latest version. Find more info here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/read...566383171?mt=8

Also make sure you turn on page sync on your T1/T2 in Applications > Settings > Application Preferences > Books/Periodicals.

You can load non-Sony EPUBs into the Reader iOS app. They can be either DRM-free or use Adobe DRM (e.g. books purchased from Kobo) as long as you have authorized the Reader iOS app. I used Dropbox to load the books and test it rather than iTunes.

At the moment the iOS app appears to only sync Sony books between your iOS device and the e-ink hardware and the desktop software. It also seems to only sync page location and not bookmarks or annotations.

Non-Sony books will sync between the e-ink hardware and the desktop software (just not with the iOS app!). Again, it is just page location only (so still not as good as the older 950 capabilities).

Not good enough for me yet because I really want to sync page location between e-ink and the iOS app regardless of whether it's a Sony or non-Sony book. I don't really care about the desktop software unless bookmarks and annotations were added. Also, I find the iOS app limited on my iPad since there is no two-column landscape mode which is essential for the larger screen size to me.

There is a great iPad reading app called Marvin which is good for non-DRM'ed books. The developer is working to release an iPhone version later this summer which will sync between your iPad and iPhone (although that won't help with the e-ink syncing).

In summary, no perfect solution yet for me! This week's new version was a big step forward and long time coming to at least sync Sony books, but they need to think bigger to stay competitive.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
sumguy
Connoisseur

Thanks for your comments...

Interesting that you can at least sync reading position from the Sony e-ink reader to the desktop for non-DRM books.

Unfortunately that just doesn't cut it for me either - I need it to work with the iOS app too, and really want the bookmarks, highlights, and notes as well.

I guess I'll be switching to Google Play books, now that you can upload your own epubs and sync highlights & notes between the iOS app and the web reader on the computer. Looks like I'll be without an e-ink reader for a while though.

Tags
drm free, furthest page read, non-drm, sync