Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #35626
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Fantastic! I haven't been to amy of these places (I've touched a tiny bit of China mainland closest to Hong Kong, but that's it) and am also very jealous. Have a great time.
Thanks Orlok; still some weeks to wait.
Travelling for me is like throwing a pebble in a pool of water: I'll read about the country I'll be visiting, then about the politics, the culture, people and so on and on. My field of interest keeps expanding, as is my world.
And also: most of the time the weather is better in those far away countries than in my own....( snow this morning )
Though food can be a pain; eating neither fish nor fowl...
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #35627
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sounds like a great trip! Have fun.

Right now I am blocking my son from getting to the giant box of toys at his cousins house. He wants to play with the noisiest stuff possible. Predictable
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #35628
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm filling the bathtub with warm water, getting ready to wash a big sheepskin leather jacket. I've made up a batch of my secrete super leather cleaner juice (undiluted Simple Green, De-Solvit, and dishwashing liquid.) This is gonna be heavy work!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #35629
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just discovered that the jacket is actually dry enough to hang on my BCD hanger. It still weighs about 10 kilo but at least it won't rip its own guts out when hanging now, and the air circulation will be much better. Should be completely dry by Wednesday or Thursday.

Stitchawl
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #35630
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
What is a bcd hanger?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #35631
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
What is a bcd hanger?
Imagine a coat hanger on steroids. Something with large rounded shoulders so not to cut into the straps of a BCD (Bouyancy Compensation Device.l) the 'vest' that divers wear that holds the air tanks. Add some extra hook areas and clips to hang mask, fins, booties and wetsuit, and you can hang all your gear together in one small space. Very necessary on a crowded live-aboard dive boat!

I made my own using PVC pipe as I really wanted to be sure that the shoulders would be protected. When wet, all this gear gets pretty heavy, and normal hangers, even wooden ones, often can't take the weight.

When washing a leather coat or jacket, the wet leather coming right out of the tub is REALLY heavy. Usually you need to lay it down until most of the 'free' water runs off. I washed the jacket yesterday, and left it laying flat for about 24 hours before I felt it was 'safe' to try to support it by its own shoulders. But this needed a REALLY strong hanger... ergo... my BCD hanger!

Stitchawl
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #35632
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Wishing customs would hurry up with processing my Oberon case. It's been with them for a week now. From my experience it usually takes between one and two weeks, but it can take up to two months.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #35633
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Planning tomorrow's trip to Antwerp, or at least the train travelling part. My sister has planned where we're going and where everything is. I'm really looking forward to the trip, it isn't even that expensive if you don't take the super fast international train (€30 vs. €150+) so if I like Antwerp I might take a daytrip more often.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #35634
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Planning tomorrow's trip to Antwerp, or at least the train travelling part. My sister has planned where we're going and where everything is. I'm really looking forward to the trip, it isn't even that expensive if you don't take the super fast international train (€30 vs. €150+) so if I like Antwerp I might take a daytrip more often.
I hope that you have a great trip!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #35635
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I hope that you have a great trip!
Thank you, hopefully it won't rain too much but if it does my sister has picked out some indoor stuff to do.

I just woke up from a thunderstorm, we don't get those often in winter. It was short but loud, lighting striking the nearby church tower once with a big bang.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #35636
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Thank you, hopefully it won't rain too much but if it does my sister has picked out some indoor stuff to do.

I just woke up from a thunderstorm, we don't get those often in winter. It was short but loud, lighting striking the nearby church tower once with a big bang.
I was just talking with my husband this afternoon. He is currently in Amsterdam, so I got to hear the thunderstorm in the background, actually! He was surprised at how quickly it ended, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #35637
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I was just talking with my husband this afternoon. He is currently in Amsterdam, so I got to hear the thunderstorm in the background, actually! He was surprised at how quickly it ended, too.
Winter thunderstorms don't happen often, and instead of the rumbling thunderclaps you usually get during summer yesterdays thunderclaps were short and crisp cracks. Mind you, summer thunderstorms usually don't last long either 10-15 minutes, unless your around a bigger body of water where it can't get over and "bounces" back and forth.

We had great day yesterday. On the way there was hail, snow and rain but when we were in Antwerp we only had a 5 minute snow/hail shower and although it was cold the rest of the day was sunny. Unfortunately, it turns out that a lot of restaurants, cafés and small stores are not only closed on Monday but also on Tuesday, but we still had a great time visiting the Cathedral of Our Lady, which also houses some paintings of the closed Museum for Fine Arts. After that we went shopping, I bought a a pair of Timberland boat shoes (with nice thick soles). The trip back took us nearly 3.5 hours instead of 2.5 because each of the three trains we took was delayed.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #35638
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I love my new Timberland shoes. However, the rawhide laces keep getting undone, which is driving my crazy. So, I've found another knot to use for tying shoelaces, with rawhide laces it doesn't look as pretty but I don't care as long as I don't have to tie my laces every half an hour.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #35639
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I love my new Timberland shoes. However, the rawhide laces keep getting undone, which is driving my crazy. So, I've found another knot to use for tying shoelaces, with rawhide laces it doesn't look as pretty but I don't care as long as I don't have to tie my laces every half an hour.
Tying rawhide laces can be a problem... at first. If you don't like that knot, here are two other options.
1. Tie your usual knot, but with one small variation. When you begin the knot, instead of a simple overhand turn (left over right, as in figure 1 or your example,) make it a double. Go around twice instead of just once, then tie your bow the usual way. The two turns will stop most of the pull on the bow from the movement of your foot.
2. Soften the rawhide laces. Get some ordinary shoe cream (NOT wax shoe polish!) neutral color, and rub it into the last foot or so of lace (the area used for tying.) Really work the cream into the leather, folding and bending, pulling, stretching, bending some more, softening the lace. It will be MUCH easier to tie a bow that will stay.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 02-12-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #35640
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Sadly refreshing the page on the Nexus10 32GB, waiting for more stock to arrive !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?