Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
Tug
Tug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic
Corrupted jb kindle need help

Today in the morning I added a 417 mb PDF file to my kindle after that when I turned on the kindle everything was gone including kual,mrpi basically everything including books the only think remaining is a blank document folder and a system folder besides that kindle is full of hundred of really small files with unknown extension and weird names.
now I really don't know what happened maybe I corrupted everything inside somehow.
I added few PDFs into document folder just to check whether its working or not unfortunately it wasn't I was using koreader and it's gone now and the native one isn't working.screen just goes blank for a second and then sends me to back to main menu.
I want to know what can I do? I can't factory reset because my kindle is jailbroken and I don't want to loose jailbreak otherwise I would have done that.is it ok for me to delete everything inside kindle including system folder?is the jailbreak and hotfix gone do I need to install everything again

PS-my kindle is kt3 firmware version 5.8.7
Tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You did the right thing not doing a reset. Dont do anything till the experts comment.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
At first try to install the hotfix
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post3562968

There is no danger to make the factory reset as on 5.8.7 you can jailbreak the device again.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
Tug

What would happen if I deleted every file manually including system folder and document folder ? would it harm the device because this has happened to me before on another kindle but that one wasn't JB so factory reset did the job but with this one I was hesitant about resetting.secondly is kindle bad with huge PDF files ?last time too this was the case I used to believe file size wouldn't matter in it now it seems it does.
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Tug: Does anything actually still look sane on the Kindle's drive, or is it *all* a jumbled mess?

You can pretty much wipe the documents folder safely.
I don't recall if there's actually anything critical in the system folder, but I don't *think* so?
Anything else is probably hack-related, but that's probably not much of a concern in this state ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #7
Tug

Nope everything is basically garbage besides those two folders I am more concerned about system folder whether it contains something important or not I have no idea so should I delete or not?i am wondering if I delete everything manually and install hotfix and extensions afterwards maybe it might work properly or should I reset it and jailbreak it again after downgrading it?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The only thing in user visible storage that a fresh cold-start can not recreate are the voice view files.
You will have to re-install them from Amazon packages if your model requires them (and you want to use them - having them missing causes no harm).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

*) Erase everything seen over usb connection
*) Remove usb cable
*) Restart the Kindle (20+ second hold of power key)
Start up will rebuild everything it needs.

PS: All of this work, before and after this post, will probably not "fix" your Kindle. You will most likely still have to send it back to Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #9
Tug

Since you added "send it to Amazon" I basically lost hope of making it work and stopped caring and did a factory reset and downgraded it to 5.8.0.0 went through with whole jailbreaking process and installed koreader for some reason it all worked out and I glad it did I really didn't want to return it cz this would have been twice in less than a month.i have no clue why kindle went crazy though .
thanks anyway to all the people who replied
Old 10-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug View Post
Since you added "send it to Amazon" I basically lost hope of making it work and stopped caring and did a factory reset and downgraded it to 5.8.0.0 went through with whole jailbreaking process and installed koreader for some reason it all worked out and I glad it did I really didn't want to return it cz this would have been twice in less than a month.i have no clue why kindle went crazy though .
thanks anyway to all the people who replied
That is information I did not consider.

A (new) Kindle with symptoms of hardware failure is extremely rare.
Two such incidents within a month is beyond belief.

Your problem must be caused by something external to the Kindle.
Check the obvious culprits -
how you are using the Kindle,
bad USB cable,
bad USB connectors on cable or PC,
bad USB port on PC,
USB 3.0 port on the PC which uses one of the recalled (defective) USB controller chips,
PC operating system,
etc, etc, etc.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #11
Tug

Well previous one had battery issues it was barely giving 3 hours of battery life the one before that had data going crazy issues but since you mentioned PC and usb could be issues I am guessing that could be it because my laptops motherboard died and pc's monitor isn't working I haven't done anything about them because I have exams coming would get them fixed after exams.
I have been using mobile for transferring books to kindle via usb that could be it since pendrives data got corrupted too though I am just guessing.

Tags
corrupt, factory reset, jailbreak, kindle touch