Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
Pocketbook Inkpad 2 or Kobo Aura One (+ Koreader)

Which ebook reader would you recommend me getting? I am leaning to the Pocketbook Inkpad 2, because they say that it is a good PDF reader. However, I don't know if the Kobo Aura One is actually a better reader if you install Koreader on it.

Desired features:
- Dropbox / Google drive sync
- Easy WiFi way to push / pull ebooks & pdfs on device
- Good PDF reading experience

Inkpad 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oIA0WhHfs0
Kobo Aura One (built in reader)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbANnNKYLGI
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Inkpad has almost all the features you want:
Dropbox integration in the firmware, you can send documents via email to the device and a very good PDF reader with reflow and various settings.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
iBurger2

Wouldn't the Kobo be a better overal reader? Better screen, etc.

I wonder if Koreader is that good, that it trumps the benefits of the built-in PDF reading capability of the Inkpad.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Koreader is that good with PDF. There is a video comparing the Inkpad with the H2O running koreader. So yes, koreader is that good with PDF. You can find the H2O using koreader starting at 19 minutes in. But if you want to see about the Inkpad, just start from the beginning.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
iBurger2

Interesting. I tried some pdf conversions with k2pdfopt, and it does exactly what you would expect. The program takes the 2-column layout and makes it a one-column pdf. This functionality is very similar to the Inkpad 2 built-in pdf reader, as you see in the video above.

Inkpad
+ Better built-in PDF support
+ Dropbox
- Lesser screen than Kobo Aura One.

Kobo Aura One
+ Good PDF support through installing Koreader
+ Higher PPI
+ Better overal screen (I think), faster etc.
- Worse integration for side-loaded pdfs. (no dropbox, no wifi downloading, no sd cards)

Do you agree with this summary? I just need to find a way to easily load PDFs on the Kobo reader. A way that does not involve USB cables, since it is 2017. lols.

Last edited by iBurger2; 03-01-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
As far as the Aura One: Kobos have a built in web-browser. If you search around the forums I'm sure you can find how people have used it with Dropbox. It's not perfect, by any means, but it apparently works.

Calibre Content Server is another option.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
iBurger2

Cool stuff. Although I wasn't planning on hacking devices, and rooting stuff. I also read that you can SSH into your Kobo device. That way I could also wireless transfer books into the Kobo.