Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I've tried various combinations of customisation but I haven't found the right one yet.

When you have time please could you look at this simple example and advise what I should be doing differently. As I am very new to Python, perhaps there are better ways to read input arguments. If there is a way of doing this without the .bat file so much the better.

The Windows .bat file contains
Code:
"C:\Program Files\pythonv27\python.exe" "C:\pytest.py" %1
PAUSE
where %1 represents the file currently selected in Windows Explorer.

The Python prog (C:\pytest.py) contains:
Code:
import sys
file_name = sys.argv[1]
print '\nYou selected:', file_name
raw_input('\n\nPython pause...')
As you see I have put a 'pause' at the end of both pieces.

I have tried customising the plugin in 2 ways as seen in the last 2 items in the screencap. Neither of them appear to do anything.

Any advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openwith.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	67263  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
... followup... I take that back I think using python.exe as the executable and pytest.py as the argument DOES work. Unfortunately my example was just supposed to display to screen which never appeared. When I changed the action to write a physical file it did write the file.

Sorry to waste your time. I will carry on experimenting.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
How do I get this to show in the context menu?

I have the latest "open with" on Calibre 7.47 on Xubuntu 10.10, I can squirell down the preferences tree and find it installed and set it to point in the right places (well I haven't found how to change Firefox to Chrome but that is not important.) I can use the shortcut, CTRL E, to open Sigil but it does not show up in the context menu.

Any pointers?
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Read the introduction to plugins sticky post. Specifically the last step in the installation instructions of Preferences-> Customise the toolbar
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Ah, just reading now.

Last edited by weedfreak; 03-03-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #21
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you actually read it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
7. By default a GUI action plugin will not appear in any menus or toolbars. To add it to any of these you must go to Preferences->Customise the toolbar. In the dropdown at the top choose where you want the new "action", such as "The context menu for the books in the Calibre library". Select the new plugin within the "Available actions", click the add button and move up/down as required.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
weedfreak
Addict

OK I got it, you wouldn't think reading was an optional extra, but instructions ....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
OK I got it, you wouldn't think reading was an optional extra, but instructions ....
You can lead a horse to water, but...

You certainly aren't the first to not spot the dropdown, and equally certain you won't be the last. I don't know what to do about it though, other than repeatedly post instructions and installation screenshots in every plugin post, which would be a pain.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@kiwidude: It should be possible to popup a dialog asking the user where they want the plugin to show up after an interface plugin is added.

Unfortunately, I am an little too busy to implement this anytime soon.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@kiwidude: It should be possible to popup a dialog asking the user where they want the plugin to show up after an interface plugin is added.

Unfortunately, I am an little too busy to implement this anytime soon.
That sounds a good idea. I can put something together for it if you just let me know what you had in mind.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would say popup a dialog with a list of the locations that the plugin allows itself to be added to ad ask the user to choose from amongst them.

See preferences.toolbar for code on doing that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
ptom
ptom began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to assign a relative path? Say I want to get it running on a thumb drive, portable version, and open my .pdf's with a certain portable programm on my stick.
As long as I'm using it on my very own pc everything works pretty well, since I'm able to fix the drive letter (or at least it's always more or less the same^^).

But as soon as I want to use it on a foreign machine, everything kinda renders useless, since I'm not (yet) able to fix the drive letter my thumb drive gets assigned, therefore the plugin won't find the particular program (sure, I can change it everytime I use it, what I'm doing so far)
So I was wondering if it's in principle possible to change the path to sth. like "../pdf_portable/xyz.exe"

Oh, and besides that, just gorgeous tool! Wouldn't want to miss it!
ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@ptom - in a word, no. A relative path would remain too "fragile" to be really useful.

Can you not instead just create multiple menu items, one with the path for each machine?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
ptom
ptom began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Sure, it's no big deal anyway. I was just wondering...
ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #30
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptom View Post
is it possible to assign a relative path? I was wondering if it's in principle possible to change the path to sth. like "../pdf_portable/xyz.exe"
Here's a workaround for Windows OS (I'm doing this without problems): Go to YourCalibreConfigDir\Plugins\ > Open 'open_with.json' with a text editor > Change
Code:
"appPath": "C:\\Program Files\\xyz\\xyz.exe"
To
Code:
"appPath": "..\\pdf_portable\\xyz.exe"
It's a little hassle but it worth the time if you're a portable geek (like me. Portable programs are best when you're working on multi Windows OS PCs. They also make it easier to upgrade hardwares and Windows versions.)
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kepubify