Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
[Metadata Source Plugin] Kobo Books

This plugin gets the metadata for books from the Kobo store.

Main Features
  • Can retrieve title, author, comments, publisher, publication date, series and tags.
  • Fetches high resolution covers using size defined by "maximum_cover_size" tweak.
  • The identifier used is "kobo". It will show in the details as "KoboBooks".

Installation Notes:
  • Download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
  • Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.

Configuration:
  • Tags are created from the categories Kobo has for the books. These are shown as a hierarchy on the page. When creating the tags, there are three choices on how to use the categories:
    • Top level only - Only use the highest level category.
    • Hierarchy - Create dot separated tags using each category hierarchy.
    • Individual tags - Create a tag for each category at each level.

Version History:
Spoiler:
Version 1.9.2 - 25 June 2022
  • Fix: Site change for title.

Version 1.9.1 - 16 June 2022
  • Fix: Site change for Publisher.
Version 1.9.0 - 05 April 2022
  • Fix: Site change for Series info
  • Fix: Set some request headers to one that the site seems to find acceptable.
Version 1.8.3 - 01 November 2021
  • Fix: Bot protection seems to have been added. Need to use a different user agent to get around it.
Version 1.8.2 - 20 March 2021
  • Fix: Remove debugging statement that was left in.
Version 1.8.1 - 20 March 2021
  • Fix: Change in tags around the title on both the details and search results pages.
Version 1.8.0 - 08 January 2020
  • Update: Changes for Python 3 support in calibre.
  • Fix: Wasn't encoding the author properly in the query.
Version 1.7.0 - 14 July 2019
  • Fix: Remove "sanitize_comments_html" from comments to workaround change in this in calibre 3.42.0.
  • Fix: If Kobo has no authors, do not reject.
  • Fix: Page layout change.
Version 1.6.0 - 29 March 2019
  • Fix: Page changes meaning errors getting publishing details and ISBN.
Version 1.5.0 - 31 December 2018
  • Change: Handle country specific URLs in id_from_url.
  • Change: Use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
Version 1.4.0 - 10 November 2018
  • Fix: Wasn't handling case where there were no tags/genres.
  • Fix: Missed fetching ISBN if there was an "Imprint".
  • New: Add support for fetching languages and rating and get high resolution cover. Based on code by MR member @qsxwdc
  • Change: Try for better support of other languages in search. Based on suggestion by MR member @Aerandir14
  • New: Add id_from_url to return the identifier.
Version 1.3.0 - 02 October 2017
  • Fix: Site changes for series info.
  • Fix: Workaround for search page differences.
Version 1.2.1 - 10 April 2017
  • Fix: Remove creation of debugging file.
Version 1.2.0 - 9 April 2017
  • Fix: Site changes for search.
  • Fix: Site changes for the details page.
Version 1.1.0 - 27 November 2016
  • Fix: Site changes to series and comments.
Version 1.0.0 - 01 January 2015
  • Initial release
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboBooks.zip (9.4 KB, 31258 views)

Last edited by davidfor; 06-25-2022 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Update to version 1.9.2
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: PocketBook InkPad 4
One little comment: In the Get new Plugins-list, this plugin is named Kobo Books (with blank space), which is different to KoboBooks. So it's still listed as "not installed" although it is installed...
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I'll try and sort it out tonight/
Old 11-27-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have just released an update to this plugin. The site changed in the last few days in how the series information and comments are shown. This should also fix the problem with whether the plugin is shown as installed or not.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.2.0

I have just released an update to handle changes in the Kobo store. It should be finding the books now and retrieving details correctly. Please report any problems here.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have just released an update to handle changes in the Kobo store. It should be finding the books now and retrieving details correctly. Please report any problems here.
I'm getting a html file (t3.html) in the root of my Kobo when doing a metadata update after installing the updated plugin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip t3.zip (49.2 KB, 651 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm getting a html file (t3.html) in the root of my Kobo when doing a metadata update after installing the updated plugin.
Sorry, left a debug statement in the code. I'll fix it tonight.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.2.1

Just a small update to remove the debugging file that was being produced.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.3.0

I have just released an update to handle changes in the Kobo store. The series information wasn't being retrieved and there was an occasional problem with parsing the search results page.

If you see any problems, please report them here.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
BrentEubanks
BrentEubanks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I started having a problem after I upgraded my Kobo plugins (Utilities and Books).

Problem is detailed in the Utilities thread because I think that is the more likely source of the issue. But posting here as well, just in case.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...34#post3589834
BrentEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentEubanks View Post
I started having a problem after I upgraded my Kobo plugins (Utilities and Books).

Problem is detailed in the Utilities thread because I think that is the more likely source of the issue. But posting here as well, just in case.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...34#post3589834
MR actively discourages cross-posting. And I'm really on board with that as you just confuse things by posting in threads that are not unrelated to the problem. And, from my point of view, it means I have waste my time trying to work out if I have already answered a problem or this is a separate report of a similar problem.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Cross-posting is not allowed on Mobileread.

Please take the time now to read our Posting Guidelines.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
changhuapeng
changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.changhuapeng can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Kobo have made changes to their website and it seem to have broken some parts of this plugin. I have updated it to get it working again.

Apart from the main features of the original plugin, the updated version now also retrieves the cover image, rating and language. For the cover image, the plugin will try to retrieve them as high resolution as possible (up to 4x of what is displayed in Kobo website).

I have tested this on some of my books and they seem to work as expected. I have also bumped the version number to 1.3.1. I have actually updated this for my personal use but just in case anyone wants it, I have attached the updated version here.

Edit: I understand that the plugin author is still active on this forum so I apologise in advance for jumping the gun if this update has offended him.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboBooks.zip (7.4 KB, 575 views)

Last edited by changhuapeng; 04-20-2018 at 06:33 AM.
changhuapeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsxwdc View Post
Kobo have made changes to their website and it seem to have broken some parts of this plugin. I have updated it to get it working again.

Apart from the main features of the original plugin, the updated version now also retrieves the cover image, rating and language. For the cover image, the plugin will try to retrieve them as high resolution as possible (up to 4x of what is displayed in Kobo website).
I tested the modified plugin with 20 books and so far, it looks good.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsxwdc View Post
Edit: I understand that the plugin author is still active on this forum so I apologise in advance for jumping the gun if this update has offended him.
Not offended, but surprised it had a bug as I use it all the time. And I haven't had a chance to look at it properly.