Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #31
matt0
matt0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you notice how much power was used while reading?

The log files are in the .kobo directory. They will automatically be written when you connect to the PC. Or press the save button. If you wake the device and see that the battery has dropped a lot, save the log then. Or if you notice a significant drop at other times. That should capture the power usage.
While reading it was used around 1% of power.

I have just checked the logs that have been generated in the last 7 hours. I have not noticed any significant power drop since I have enabled them but I wanted to have a look a the file. It looks quite nominal. The only exception is the following message linked to google analytic:

( 185.775 @ 0x1504318 / packetdump.warning) dropping stale GA QUrl( "https://ssl.google-analytics.com/collect?v=1&tid=UA-6177406-38&cid=fd44fc82-4344-44c2-bf17-d16d8825a755&uid=47aea17e-4348-47d9-99b9-071067471d1e&av=4.20.14622&an=nickel&sr=758x1024&u l=it-it&t=screenview&cd=/WifiSettings" ) false 249

In the file there are 18 occurrences in 160 log messages.

The other message that was difficult to interpret was the following:

"bedtime manager" contributing to alarm XXXXX

That appeared 3 times.

I'll check again in the next days after a significant drop.
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #32
matt0

I have some news.
Two days ago I did put the e-reader in sleep mode with 52% of remaining battery and yesterday evening, 24 hours later, when I took it to read the battery was 37%. After few minutes of reading I got the message that the battery was 10% and a couple of minutes later it was 1%.

I have checked the logs and I have 197 messages: "bedtime manager" contributing to alarm XXXXX.

Any idea about its meaning?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #33
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
QUrl? Is the UI on these written using the Qt framework?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
QUrl? Is the UI on these written using the Qt framework?
If you take a look in a downloaded update file, inside the KoboRoot.tgz, you'll find in /user/local/ the QT directory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #35
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you take a look in a downloaded update file, inside the KoboRoot.tgz, you'll find in /user/local/ the QT directory.
Interesting. I'm not a huge fan of Qt, it carries a lot of ancient old-style C++ baggage, but I've worked with it for a long time now. Piques my interest in trying to do some hacking when my Kobo finally arrives, whenever that is...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:15 AM   #36
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
bad book

I noticed that my Aura One battery drained significantly faster if I had a pdf opened when I put it to sleep.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaak View Post
I noticed that my Aura One battery drained significantly faster if I had a pdf opened when I put it to sleep.
What happens if you close the PDF before the device goes to sleep?

And:

Yet another reason not to read PDF
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:31 AM   #38
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Forgot to say I am on latest firmware 4.20.

Quote:
What happens if you close the PDF before the device goes to sleep?

And:

Yet another reason not to read PDF
It's much better with epubs. It is not a new device so there is battery wear.
Even with pdf battery does not get empty overnight.
I had to read a pdf book to my kids and was surprised to find a charged reader completely empty after 3 1-hour read/23-hour sleep sessions.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #39
matt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
I have some news.
Two days ago I did put the e-reader in sleep mode with 52% of remaining battery and yesterday evening, 24 hours later, when I took it to read the battery was 37%. After few minutes of reading I got the message that the battery was 10% and a couple of minutes later it was 1%.

I have checked the logs and I have 197 messages: "bedtime manager" contributing to alarm XXXXX.

Any idea about its meaning?
Once again the reader fully discharged in 4 days and once again checking the logs I saw that around the time I noticed the major drops there have been a lot of messages "bedtime manager" contributing to alarm XXXXX.

To be honest I don't know what to do.

Is it possible to reinstall the firmware (just incase someting wrong happened during the previous installation)?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
Once again the reader fully discharged in 4 days and once again checking the logs I saw that around the time I noticed the major drops there have been a lot of messages "bedtime manager" contributing to alarm XXXXX.

To be honest I don't know what to do.

Is it possible to reinstall the firmware (just incase someting wrong happened during the previous installation)?
The "bedtime manager" is for the changing the colour of the light. You set a bedtime, and in the hours before that, the blue is gradually removed from the light. Or maybe it is better to say that the white LEDs are turned down and the coloured LEDs turned up. But, this is only on the devices with coloured LEDs. You list your device as an Aura Edition 2. That doesn't have a coloured light. It shouldn't have the bedtime options in the light brightness popup. And hence it shouldn't have the bedtime in the config file. Have you been fiddling with the config file? Or using a patch that does this?

In any case, check if there is a "BedTime" line in the "PowerOptions" section of the config file. Or anything with "Color" as part of the name. If there is removed them. Or remove the whole PowerOptions section. After you do that, reboot the device to make sure everything is clean. If you did remove the section, you will need t adjust any of the power related settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #41
matt0

Quote:
The "bedtime manager" is for the changing the colour of the light. You set a bedtime, and in the hours before that, the blue is gradually removed from the light. Or maybe it is better to say that the white LEDs are turned down and the coloured LEDs turned up. But, this is only on the devices with coloured LEDs. You list your device as an Aura Edition 2. That doesn't have a coloured light. It shouldn't have the bedtime options in the light brightness popup. And hence it shouldn't have the bedtime in the config file. Have you been fiddling with the config file? Or using a patch that does this?

In any case, check if there is a "BedTime" line in the "PowerOptions" section of the config file. Or anything with "Color" as part of the name. If there is removed them. Or remove the whole PowerOptions section. After you do that, reboot the device to make sure everything is clean. If you did remove the section, you will need t adjust any of the power related settings.
Thanks for your reply davidfor.
First of all, you are right there are not bedtime options in the light brightness popup.

I have never tried to modify the config file and never installed a patch...and indeed the config file doesn't have any "BedTime" line in the "PowerOptions" section.

I have also noticed that in the latest dmesg file there are some logs form last night at 5am but for sure at that time I was not using my Kobo...

I attach here some logs to see if someone can find something wrong in them.

Many thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg-2020.05.23-13.43.35.txt (14.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: txt syslog-2020.05.22-15.01.03.txt (497.1 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by matt0; 05-24-2020 at 07:31 AM.