Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
strange and worrying computer problem

my previous computer would occasionally restart itself spontaneously, with no warning. this became more and more frequent, until one day it shut itself off and wouldn't start again at all, and i had to replace it. i thought the power supply had failed. however the new computer is also showing this behaviour. it is currently only about 6 months old, and i made sure to buy a box with a sturdy power supply, precisely for that reason. it just did it this morning in fact. when it comes back, it gives me the message "windows has recovered from a serious error."

so now i'm wondering, it seems unlikely that *two* power supplies in a row should fail, with exactly the same symptoms. could this be a problem with the electric outlet in the wall ? (it's an old building and the electrical installation leaves to be desired, to say the least... maybe there is not enough current in there ?) could it be a software problem ? i started with a fresh re-installation of windows, not from a disk image, but maybe there's a conflict between some drivers, or something ? (i have no idea, i'm really just guessing)

any ideas ??? this is really getting to be a problem, and i don't want to have to replace the damned thing less than a year after i bought it. any help is really welcome.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Might be worth getting a cheap uninterruptable power supply (UPS) and running the PC from that. If you do have a "flaky" mains supply, that should fix it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

is that something like this ?
http://www.amazon.fr/Belkin-Universa...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1
i don't see any for less than around 100€, so i don't want to buy one if it's not the right thing, that's a lot of money for me.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's a UPS.

Is there anything shown in the system event log to indicate the cause of the reboot? If it's caused by a driver error, there should be an error logged. If it is a power problem, though, there won't be - the event log will just show a reboot with no cause for it logged.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

i don't know, where do i find the log ?
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" from the pop-up menu. That will open the "Computer Management" window. In the left pane of the window, open "Event Viewer" and select the "System" events.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
When you use your computer at night, do you notice any ocasional dimness or flicker in your light sources (lamps) in the house?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

i have several "errors" logged today. there are two next to each other :

1. 13:11:20
Source : Service control
Category : none
type : error
ID event : 7022
"Le service DirMngr est en attente de démarrage.

Pour plus d'informations, consultez le centre Aide et support à l'adresse http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

"The DirMngr service is waiting to start up.

For more information, consult the help and support center at the address http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

2. 13:11:20
source : service control
category : none
type : error
id event : 7034
"Le service DirMngr s'est terminé de façon inattendue pour la 1ème fois.

Pour plus d'informations, consultez le centre Aide et support à l'adresse http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

"The DirMngr service has terminated in an unexpected fashion for the 1st time.

For more information, consult the help and support center at the address http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

this is about the time the computer rebooted.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

no, wait, sorry, just before i have a "save dump" which says :
13:09:19
source : save dump
category : none
id event : 1001

"L'ordinateur a redémarré après une vérification d'erreur. La vérification d'erreur était*: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf813017, 0xa9573878, 0x00000000). Un vidage a été enregistré dans*: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052409-01.dmp.

"the computer rebooted after an error verification. the error verificator was : 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf813017, 0xa9573878, 0x00000000). a dump was recorded in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052409-01.dmp."

this happened before the error, so apparently it's not related.

immediately before the dump, the "event recording service" launched, apparently with no trouble.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
When you use your computer at night, do you notice any ocasional dimness or flicker in your light sources (lamps) in the house?
not that i've noticed, but i'm usually only having one not very bright lamp (low energy lightbulb) lit at those times. i suppose that could happen without me noticing though.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

According to Google, the "DirMngr" service is a service which handles security certificates, so that doesn't sound like anything to worry about it particular.

This one, though, definitely does matter:

Quote:
"L'ordinateur a redémarré après une vérification d'erreur. La vérification d'erreur était*: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf813017, 0xa9573878, 0x00000000). Un vidage a été enregistré dans*: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052409-01.dmp.
A common cause of mysterious reboots is faulty RAM. All is well until the system tries to write to the particular address and then, when it does, you get an error and a spontaneous reboot.

Do you have any small computer stores in your vicinity who could do a thorough test of your PC for you? That's probably the best bet. From your description, it sounds like a hardware error.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

argh !!!! farking computer !!! the ram is new, the power supply is new. the damned thing is heavy (as i can attest because i still remember when i lugged it home from the shop a mere 6 months ago). there is at least one computer shop nearby which might provide that kind of service, i'll have to check with them. how much is that likely to cost ?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

now that i think of it though if it is a faulty ram barrette it will be easy to fix : i have 3 installed but they were sold in pairs so i have an extra. should i try to swap out one of them for the spare, and if it reboots again swap the next one, etc. ?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The problem with faulty ram is that it might occor. Or it might not. Depending if the faulty bit is written to. So, unless you can reproduce it quickly, it might still be a good idea to check that store.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

okay, i guess i'll do that.

farking computer.

thanks for all the help, everyone.