Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #46
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
So is the touch screen overrated?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #47
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Well, some people really like it and don't use the buttons even if they have them.

I wish device makers would make versions of the same device with and without the buttons so we could all get the version we prefer. I'd like a Kobo Clara with buttons.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #48
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I prefer the haptic touch sensors of my Voyage. I think it's easier on the fingers than pressing a button over and over so many times and so often. However, the Voyage also has the option of just tapping on the screen, rather than swiping, to change the page. This is actually my favourite, because again it's the easiest on the fingers in the long run. And it even works on the side of the device off the screen part, so no smudges necessary.

The only problem with it is that, at least with the Voyage, the far left side is for going back one page rather than forward. I read half the time with one hand and half with the other. When I'm reading with my right hand I can just tap the side of the device off the page to turn the page. When I'm reading with my left hand I must press to use the haptic sensor, or touch on the page farther towards the centre to turn the page. I wish there were an option to change the entire touch to turn a page so I could tap on the side of the device with either hand, and still allow the dedicated haptic sensor for going back a page.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #49
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
the option of just tapping on the screen, rather than swiping, to change the page.
This is the option I use on my Aura H2O2, and as I read most often hands-free, it works well for me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Buttons are overrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #51
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
It's strange. I've got this idea in my head that I'm a fan of page turn buttons. But when I think about it, I realize that I never actually use them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #52
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I moved from an Oasis to an Onyx Poke Pro. I missed the page turn buttons, so got a remote.

If I had to choose between a remote and on device page turn buttons, I'd choose the remote. Ideally I'd have both.

With the remote, I now usually have my book in a stand which allows more comfortable reading than holding the e-reader.
What remote did you get and what reading app dix you set it up with?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:22 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I think the touch screen is great for navigation and the rest. I only want to rely on buttons for page turns, because it's convenient to hold the reader with a thumb on the button and just apply pressure to turn the page.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
However, the Voyage also has the option of just tapping on the screen, rather than swiping, to change the page.
I'm pretty sure all readers have that option. At least all my Nooks and Kobos have.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #55
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I suppose if their bedroom is cold and they don't want to reach a hand out from under the duvet, a remote might help; but would it work through the duvet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I most often read in bed or sitting with the reader in my lap. A remote would be more comfortable for me. The hands under a blanket would be another reason.
That's the reason I'm glad my Boyue Mimas has page turn buttons at the bottom right corner of the device. My bedroom is cold so I tend to prop the Mimas up while I lay on my side to read, keeping my hands under the covers as much as possible. Using the buttons, my hands stay warmer compared to having to reach several inches every time I would have to turn the page by touch.

I never really thought about getting a remote for that purpose. I wonder if there's one that will work with the Mimas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think the touch screen is great for navigation and the rest. I only want to rely on buttons for page turns, because it's convenient to hold the reader with a thumb on the button and just apply pressure to turn the page.
I too like having the touchscreen for navigation, and also use them for page turning during the day when I'm holding the device and during warmer weather when I don't care about keeping my hands under the covers.

I'm glad my device has both options, but I also like what somebody suggested upthread about having the option to easily toggle the touchscreen on and off to prevent accidental page turns. I get those quite a bit and it's kind of annoying.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #56
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Thank you for the opinion. I've had buttons only on the kindle keyboard. I don't have a clue as to how the kindle voyage buttons feel like.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem with buttons is that they are in a fixed place. The touch screen is not as you can use the touch screen in many different places. So The buttons may or may not be useful depending on how you hold the Reader.

I like swiping as it's easy and I don't have to hold the H2O the same was all the time.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all readers have that option. At least all my Nooks and Kobos have.
Kobo has the option to disable page turn taps for swipes. All the Readers with a touch screen that I've used allow both tapping and swiping.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo has the option to disable page turn taps for swipes. All the Readers with a touch screen that I've used allow both tapping and swiping.
It's the page turn tapping that needs an [B]option[B] to disable. Some people accidentally tap when screens are flush with the bezel. For swiping, the solution is simple. If you don't want to turn pages by swiping, don't swipe.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I believe I've owned some models where you had to swipe (the Sony 650 for example, it also had buttons).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote