Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #61
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Yeah, plus its funny how they successfully play with the minds of the consumers.

You've got this smooth (plastic, metal, glass) electronic gizmo. Logically the best match would be a cover that carries on that look/finish. However, the extra 'luxe cover is the one with 'natural' leather that has natural imperfections and a patina. Kind of like buying new jeans with artificial rips and tears.
That depends whose is the logic. New jeans were/are sold with artificial rips and tears. And many people like natural leather rather than smooth electronic, on the outside.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yeah, plus its funny how they successfully play with the minds of the consumers.

You've got this smooth (plastic, metal, glass) electronic gizmo. Logically the best match would be a cover that carries on that look/finish. However, the extra 'luxe cover is the one with 'natural' leather that has natural imperfections and a patina. Kind of like buying new jeans with artificial rips and tears.
I must respectfully disagree. Smooth and shiny is great for things that you don't hold (eg a TV set) or even for something small and lightweight, like a smartphone, but when it comes to something a bit bigger and heavier, like a reader or a larger tablet, a cover that's textured and yielding, rather than hard and smooth, is much more comfortable to hold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #63
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Just a week left for me :-)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #64
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree. Smooth and shiny is great for things that you don't hold (eg a TV set) or even for something small and lightweight, like a smartphone, but when it comes to something a bit bigger and heavier, like a reader or a larger tablet, a cover that's textured and yielding, rather than hard and smooth, is much more comfortable to hold.
That sounds like the back of the PW... and not at all like the back of the Voyage. (It remains to be seen, or rather, felt, what the back of the Oasis is like.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #65
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Besides, if they are aiming for "like original books" (yeah, I know they say "like paper" actually) .... original books started with leather covers. FWIW.

(No, I didn't get the Origami cover for my Voyage. Didn't want all those extra folds.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #66
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That depends whose is the logic. New jeans were/are sold with artificial rips and tears. And many people like natural leather rather than smooth electronic, on the outside.
Actually I like the 'natural' leather better also. My point was that Data or Spock from Star Trek would most likely pick something that matches the electronic design of the reader. However, us humans have been convinced that imperfect leather is better and we pay more for the imperfections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Smooth and shiny is great for things that you don't hold (eg a TV set) or even for something small and lightweight, like a smartphone, but when it comes to something a bit bigger and heavier, like a reader or a larger tablet, a cover that's textured and yielding, rather than hard and smooth, is much more comfortable to hold.
I agree with the texture comment. However, some of the cheapest cases have great texture. I was focusing on the look aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullnix
It remains to be seen, or rather, felt, what the back of the Oasis is like.
My guess is that it has a soft touch grip (rubberized??). Look at the picture shown below. It appears there is something extra added to the grip area on the back. If you think about it, since the grip is not covered by the case they needed to make sure that a naked grip was comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500632-amazon-kindle-oasis.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	148151  
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #67
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
Just a week left for me :-)
Has it Shipped? Or are you just getting closer to you possible ship date?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #68
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I love the optimism of the companies here. Devices are built with obsolescence (planned or unplanned, that's a whole another debate) and chances are the cover will outlast the device by a long margin, only that it'll be useless patina without the device.
Maybe not.

In the earlier days of electronic ink my wife and I upgraded often. We still keep those older readers running (although I need to find a new battery for her PRS-505) and I read on both my Aztak Pocket Pro and my Sony PRS-350 now and again.

Sentimentality perhaps.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #69
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Perhaps a better analogy would be that it's kinda like buying new jeans made of natural cotton denim with slight variations in dyeing and weave, rather than buying new jeans made of smooth, shiny polyester with no such variations.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
It *might* explain why one reviewer explicitly said there was a charging port on the cover, when the videos we can find, in no way show one. "detayls" has a very interesting take on how the pricing may have come about! And, so, maybe there was a charging port, on even the late trial-run models. Guess we'll know real soon now.
I've seen that USB port on the cover. it's shown up in photos.

Just a second while I go find one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #71
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
My pre-order of the Wi-fi black model now says "Will Ship Apr 25". Arriving Apr 27.

Curious to see if it will really ship Monday.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #72
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've seen that USB port on the cover. it's shown up in photos.

Just a second while I go find one.
Do you have that pic Nate ? That would be interesting, because all the ones I have seen have no USB port in the cover..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Do you have that pic Nate ? That would be interesting, because all the ones I have seen have no USB port in the cover..
I can't find it, no.

Now i wonder whether I actually saw it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #74
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can't find it, no.

Now i wonder whether I actually saw it.
There are some pics that make you think there is one, but when you look closer, you realize that the USB port belongs to the Oasis and not to the cover itself. It happened to me, until I read the German review of the device on lesen.net where Johannes specifies that there is no USB port on the cover, so I tend to believe him until proven wrong.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #75
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
My pre-order of the Wi-fi black model now says "Will Ship Apr 25". Arriving Apr 27.

Curious to see if it will really ship Monday.
Mine, of the Merlot, says the same.

Obviously this shows that it's just a Photoshop job! We'll have to wait till September.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote