Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Evangelist
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Horrible Kindle
Hyphens warning in "check book"

If a stylesheet has a CSS rule like "hyphens: auto" (and usually also -moz-hyphens and -webkit-hyphens) the "check book" tool in the editor comes up with a warning about their use. Is there really still an issue with CSS3 features like this? Are there still so many devices around that don't understand CSS3?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
It is a Warning, not an Error

even my ancient Astak (RMSDK based) does not barf on those (and lots of other stuff does cause grief)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Phssthpok
Evangelist
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is a Warning, not an Error

even my ancient Astak (RMSDK based) does not barf on those (and lots of other stuff does cause grief)
Indeed it is a warning. But it's annoying having to ignore it "by eye". I'd like the sort of thing that e.g. GCC provides (I know, we're talking about a book editor here, not a compiler) where you can select which warnings you want to ignore. And really, in this day and age, do we really need a warning about a feature which is AFAIK supported by everyone who's anyone? It's not as if I'm targeting IE5 or something! (</rant>)
Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, validators might barf on things like that too. So I suppose it matters if you want to submit your books anywhere.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I would rather have a Warning, that I can apply knowledge about the Target Audiences limitations (by eye), rather than suppress them and later forget that was there.

Set and Forget

Can't count how many times that one has come back to haunt.

(Some settings I made to Calibre were don 5 years ago...Do I remember all of them? )

I would rather be nagged every delete, than lose a lot of effort with one wrong click.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would rather have a Warning, that I can apply knowledge about the Target Audiences limitations (by eye), rather than suppress them and later forget that was there.

Set and Forget

Can't count how many times that one has come back to haunt.

(Some settings I made to Calibre were don 5 years ago...Do I remember all of them? )

I would rather be nagged every delete, than lose a lot of effort with one wrong click.
Sigh. You're probably right. I just wonder though -- in say another 5 years' time, when everyone has moved to CSS4, will that warning still be there about a now-ancient CSS3 feature? At what point do we decide that everyone has been hauled into the 21st century, and support for antique renderers is no longer needed?