Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
KDA1
KDA1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 wifi
Get content wirelessly with Kindle 4 NT without Amazon?

How can I email books or text documents to myself without using Amazon as an intermediary? Can't I just email myself the stuff and "poof" it appears on my kindle? There's got to be some way to do it.

By way of background- I will not use anything related to Google.
KDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
In a word, no.

When you email the documents, you send them to a mailbox at Amazon. Amazon's server then runs something to process the attachment(s), convert them to AZW format and make them available in your Amazon account.

Then when you enable wireless and sync, the Kindle communicates with Amazon's servers to see if there are any new items in your account, is told about the new items, and presumably issues some secure HTTP requests to download them.

Now, your Kindle does not run it's own mail server, so even if you can deal with the format conversions yourself, there's no way to deliver these files directly to the Kindle using a network.

The only way is to attach via a USB cable and copy the files on there.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Actually, there IS a way to do this. But it requires setting up Calibre as a web service, then you can wirelessly connect to it and grab any book you have managed by your Calibre. The process does not use email, and is pull not push. But it works well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What does Google have to do with Amazon? There isn't much point in having a Kindle if you don't want to use Amazon's services.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDA1 View Post
How can I email books or text documents to myself without using Amazon as an intermediary? Can't I just email myself the stuff and "poof" it appears on my kindle? There's got to be some way to do it.

By way of background- I will not use anything related to Google.
You can use a Cloud service instead of email like Dropbox, Box.net or Sugarsync. You have to use the Kindle's browser's to log into the site and download the book from there.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
KDA1

I was anticipating questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
What does Google have to do with Amazon? There isn't much point in having a Kindle if you don't want to use Amazon's services.
Many questions I've asked people reply by asking, "why do you want to do that?"

Supposedly with Calibre you can email books to yourself through gmail. I don't use Amazon services as I don't want my reading history and choices known to the world.

Google is evil. Don't be evil.

Amazon sells your information.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
KDA1

Dropbox= security nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can use a Cloud service instead of email like Dropbox, Box.net or Sugarsync. You have to use the Kindle's browser's to log into the site and download the book from there.
Hmm. Last year all Dropbox accounts were unlocked for a 4 hour period.

Local storage seems more secure to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
KDA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Actually, there IS a way to do this. But it requires setting up Calibre as a web service, then you can wirelessly connect to it and grab any book you have managed by your Calibre. The process does not use email, and is pull not push. But it works well.
That sounds good. I'll give it a try. Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDA1 View Post
Hmm. Last year all Dropbox accounts were unlocked for a 4 hour period.

Local storage seems more secure to me.
I wouldn't put anything confidential in it but Books aren't a reason to worry about security with dropbox.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never heard of Amazon selling or giving away any information on people's reading habits or other information.

Edited to add: also, you don't have to use Calibre. You can email documents or books to your Kindle without either Calibre or gmail.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
purpleclockwork
purpleclockwork began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
Does this work for the Kindle 4 Non-Touch?
purpleclockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
purpleclockwork
purpleclockwork began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
Will this jailbreak work for the nontouch version of the Kindle..
purpleclockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleclockwork View Post
Will this jailbreak work for the nontouch version of the Kindle..
Is there a jailbreak involved in this discussion? If so where.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote