Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #5146
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Resist temptation? I thought the thread was for confessing your failings, kind of like confessing your sins to your priest.

It's more a mutual support group, to discuss idea and strategies. And occasionally to boast of successes, or admit failures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #5147
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I remember doing that year-to-year listing last year but it turned out not to be very accurate when I discovered that I hadn't added such things as Humble Bundle books or audiobooks from Downpour. It's as up to date as I can get it now and even allowing for Whispersync duplicates, it may take 5 years to truly put a good dent in it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #5148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The priest doesn't need to hear all the raunchy details!
Yes he does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #5149
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I already failed and bought books from Kobo. Oh well. NO MORE until March at least.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:47 AM   #5150
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Resist temptation? I thought the thread was for confessing your failings, kind of like confessing your sins to your priest.
Quote:
The priest doesn't need to hear all the raunchy details!
Some of us do!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #5151
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've managed 3 days without buying any books, but have acquired a number of freebies. I don't put freebees into my TBR unless it is part of a series or an author I have already read. So, they go into a freebies library. I read about 10 of them a year mostly because I have such a large TBR.

Keeping in mind what Issy mentioned, I'm making an effort in January to read books from every year that I have unread books. Alas, they start in 2010!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #5152
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I was given a $50 B&N card by a relative who is unaware that I really only shop at my local independent book store, but I have decided to let my wife hang on to it for online ordering. We will probably end up using it for non-book offerings. We're 4 days in and I haven't even looked for anything to buy. I've read 2 books on my priority TBR and am 60% through a third. It helps that my first book was one on Zen Buddhist practices in the home. One if the major focuses was treasuring what you have and making sure you really should add a purchase to that. Just a dash of mindfulness
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #5153
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I always thought of this thread as light hearted, tongue in cheek.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #5154
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I as well but some people got attitudes with me for not being serious so I quit the forums for a while before rejoining
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #5155
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I as well but some people got attitudes with me for not being serious so I quit the forums for a while before rejoining
There are plenty of threads to talk about books you want to read, or buy. But this thread has the very real intent and result of helping those of us with a bit of a "must buy" jones to help keep that in context and under a semblance of control. So no, it isn't tongue in cheek. I try not to have "attitude" with anyone here, however.

Thanks for your understanding.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:14 AM   #5156
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So far this year I've bought three and read two. But two of those purchases were subscriptions, and the other was a heavily discounted book in a series by a favourite author.

What I need to avoid is the 'that looks interesting' purchase, at least until my TBR is a lot smaller. (998 at the moment.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #5157
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I can't promise that I won't be light-hearted or tongue-in-cheek.

(No purchases so far this decade, just one freebie, which was a book on my "Prime" wishlist of potential KOLL loans that happened to go free for a day.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #5158
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

(No purchases so far this decade, just one freebie, which was a book on my "Prime" wishlist of potential KOLL loans that happened to go free for a day.)
I don't see being light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek as being at odds with the purpose of the forum. One can be jocular in time and serious in intent.

No purchases yet this decade by me, either, but I've got $5 in exploding Kindle credit which I shall use in the next couple of weeks. Not to do so would be kooky.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #5159
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

Quote:
No purchases yet this decade by me, either, but I've got $5 in exploding Kindle credit which I shall use in the next couple of weeks. Not to do so would be kooky.
Just to nitpick--the decade does not start until 2021-Jan-01. After all, there was no year 0 AD so the first decade was years 1 to 10 not 0 to 9. Much like the millenium started 2001-Jan-01. So your purchases from 2011-Jan-01 to 2020-Dec-31 are in this decade.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-05-2020 at 12:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #5160
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just to nitpick--the decade does not start until 2021-Jan-01. After all, there was no year 0 AD so the first decade was years 1 to 10 not 0 to 9. Much like the millenium started 2001-Jan-01. So your purchases from 2011-Jan-01 to 2020-Dec-31 are in this decade.
I'm not persuaded. I know the argument, but against that is common usage and emotional resonance. The latter two win out.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote