Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
drnvs
drnvs is on a distinguished road

Device: ebookwise, Kindle 2, Liberati
Post A newbie who is a senior citizen!

I got directed to your forum in my search for a good ebook reader. If you are wondering why someone who's nearly 80 start this hobby, the answer is simple. I am a voracious reader whose books has taken up a lot of space in the house . I was guided to try out this gadget- an ebook reader,and I fell for it. So I am now a proud owner of an' ebookwise' reader!
I have some problem getting an online connection to an appropriate library. I would appreciate if someone could help me out. Thanks in advance!
drnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Hi, and welcome to Mobileread! The ebookwise is a great device, and we're still waiting for some bright tech company to come up with a new reader that reads a few more filetypes and has smaller batteries, but has all the other great features of the ebookwise.

For starters, free ebooks:
Mobileread forums host a large collection of IMP (ebookwise) ebooks, at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=153. You can sort by genre or just scroll through by author.
The Baen free library has its books in several formats, and IMP is one of them.

Not free ebooks:
Fictionwise has a lot of books for sale in "multiformat," which includes IMP as one of its options. And while Smashwords books aren't available in IMP directly, they are available in HTML which can be run through the conversion program to be readable. Smashwords is a self-publishing ebook site; it has both free and paid ebooks.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site!!!

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, DRNVS. I'm no spring chicken either, and one of the major advantages I've found to using a reader for pretty well all my recreational reading for a year now is the ability to increase the size of text font. But that's only one of too many advantages to list. Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi drnvs and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome bell.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	48533 to Mobileread, drnvs.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
drnvs
drnvs is on a distinguished road

Device: ebookwise, Kindle 2, Liberati
Thanks a lot. All of you have been so kind and considerate. I find the website smashwords.com very interesting. Can someone guide me how to convert these books into a suitable format for ebookwise? Thanks again
drnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome to MR! My husband bought me an e-reader instead of buying me another bookshelf!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Greetings, drnvs, and welcome to MobileRead.

I'll be turning 60 next week; and as long as I can stay away from mirrors, I think I'm doing pretty good!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Can someone guide me how to convert these books into a suitable format for ebookwise?***

Your best bet, Drnvs, is to download the free-or-donate Calibre software that will do the job for you. Many of us here think it's the best library and conversion system available -- and it was developed by an MR member. You'll find a whole forum dedicated to it here with all questions answered and download links. Good luck and happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hi drnvs and welcome ! my first device was an ebookwise, they have a lot going for them. elfwreck has given you a lot of great tips to get you started. for converting formats to the .imp format, there are a couple of choices ; you can use the ebookwise software "eBook Publisher" to convert the file yourself, or you can register for an account at http://www.ebookwise.com/ or at filament books ; both of these sites have an automatic conversion service which allows you to upload your personal documents in a few different file formats and then download an .imp file. there are a few limits, for instance they can't handle illustrations, and the original file can't be more than 2mo, but it definitely makes life a lot easier. If you start with an hmtl file, you can open that with MicroSoft Word, save as a native word file (.doc), then convert the .doc file via the online converter.

here's the info from the filament books personal content page :

Quote:
In addition to reading your latest purchases on your eBook, you can also read your own personal content — whether it be a report written in MS Word, a news article saved from the web, or some poetry someone emailed to you. Just follow the three easy steps to transfer your personal document to your Online Bookshelf. And then use your eBook device to download your document from your Online Bookshelf to your eBook to read anywhere you please!

Sending your document may take a few minutes (must be less than 2MB).
Please wait for the delivery to complete.

For Macintosh users running MacOS 9.2.2 or earlier, please add the appropriate file extension to your filename before uploading. Acceptable document formats include:
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
Rocket eBook Editions (.rb)
Plain text files (.txt)
Microsoft Word (.doc)
Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt)
OEBFF (.oeb)
take a look in our ebookwise forum for a lot of great tips and help from our resident ebookwise gurus (look out for nrapallo, he's the ebookwise god around here, he knows everything !). Any question you have, someone can answer ! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

and this thread will probably be interesting to you : "Attention: All eBookwise newbies!"

happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnvs View Post
Thanks a lot. All of you have been so kind and considerate. I find the website smashwords.com very interesting. Can someone guide me how to convert these books into a suitable format for ebookwise? Thanks again
Hi, I have a few ebookwise ebook readers and have written a lot of software that allows ebooks in other formats to be converted to the .imp ebook format as well allow it to be transferred to the eBookwise 1150 (aka EBW1150).

First you should read the Attention: All eBookwise newbies! post in the Fictionwise eBookwise forum here. It will help you understand your eBookwise a bit better.

If you have any specific problems or issues, just post in the Fictionwise eBookwise forum and help will be on it's way...

I have never used the smashwords.com ebook site, but from what I just have gathered it has DRM-free ebooks which unfortunately are not in the .imp ebook format. That's no problem once you have downloaded and installed my freeware Mobi2IMP available here and download/buy a Kindle (.mobi) ebook format. Mobi2IMP then allows you to convert that .mobi ebook into .imp for your eBookwise as well as allows you to perhaps tweak the formatting a bit to suit your tastes. Please note that Mobi2IMP requires that you also download and install the freeware eBook Publisher available here.

Try getting these two programs installed and convert a sample ebook to .imp and try transferring it to your ebookwise. I am available to help smooth out any bumps along the way you may encounter. Just ask here...

By the way, there is also a way to convert the .lit ebook format directly into .imp as well as automatically download Project Gutenberg public domain books directly into .imp ebook format. We can tackle these afterwards, if you so desire.

Cheers!

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I have never used the smashwords.com ebook site, but from what I just have gathered it has DRM-free ebooks which unfortunately are not in the .imp ebook format. That's no problem once you have downloaded and installed my freeware Mobi2IMP available here and download/buy a Kindle (.mobi) ebook format.
Yuk! Ouch!!

I just tried to convert a sample .mobi ebook and I had to go through hoops to make it work (sort of).

The samples I downloaded were either highly compressed (HuffDic compression which unfortunately Mobi2IMP doesn't handle) or encoded in UTF-8 that didn't convert well (has all sorts of extra characters around).

I used calibre to convert the .mobi into the .mobi format again in the hopes that a lot of the coding issues would have been "cleaned up" and then converted that re-converted .mobi. It was better, but not totally acceptable, to me at least.

Perhaps a different route (using the sample .epub instead) would yield better results, though, when the starting ebook format has this much "baggage", it isn't going to be easy whichever way gets you there!

Anyone done this type of conversion before?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Perhaps a different route (using the sample .epub instead) would yield better results, though, when the starting ebook format has this much "baggage", it isn't going to be easy whichever way gets you there!
Good news! Using eBook Publisher, I loaded a sample .epub and had it convert the sample .epub directly into a Grayscale Half-VGA .imp (the one for the EBW1150) and it did a VERY nice job!

That is, after you learn how to properly convert .epub's using eBook Publisher as explained here.

Forget about using Mobi2IMP for smashwords.com .mobi ebooks as they are too incompatible right now. Mobi2IMP works better on Mobileread.com .prc/.mobi ebooks, so ALL is not lost...