Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #5191
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Iíve read the two books I bought in January. Iíve bought one book in February so far, a wishlist book that went down to $1.99, and Iím going to buy another book with the free $10 Amazon was handing out ten days or so ago, because not to do so would be insanity. (Iíll most likely have to throw in a couple of bucks, which I shall use as my cost basis.) Knowing that Iíve got to read the book in the near future has winnowed my choices in a constructive manner and reading my other February purchase also wonít post a problem. I hope to limit my buys to these two books this month; already halfway through.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #5192
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So far this year I've bought 11 books, and added 4 freebies, for a total of 15 ebooks. But I've also read 12 books, and four of the purchases/freebies were books I've read but wanted in ebook form.

So I'm up one book this year!

And of the books I've bought this year, I've now read all but one, and that one is part of a series where I still have a couple before this one to buy.

So on the whole, after a bit of a shaky start, I'm doing OK this year.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #5193
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
First world problem but so far (Jan. 01 - Feb. 15, 2020), I've picked up 131 books of which 8 remain unfinished. Of those 131 books, 83 are series where I picked up the first book on sale/free and then binged on the rest of the series (2-5) books. Of the 8 unfinished, 6 were cookbooks/recipe compendiums where I seldom read the entire book but search for recipes I want to try. I've also read through 10 library borrows which do save me some money. Several books @ $15.99 Cdn each make having a library card worthwhile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 AM   #5194
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow. That's a LOT of books in six weeks!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #5195
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've now bought five books in 2020, and have started none of them. It doesn't help that they're all fantasy, where I already have a huge unread library, and which makes up less than half of my reading since I try not to read the same genre back-to-back. With my recent KOLL loans also being fantasy and having a deadline, it's tricky to fit the purchases in. I am hoping to start one them as my next-but-one book, though. As long as nothing else comes up.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #5196
ekbell
Evangelist
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Five books bought this year,
One natural history book that's been read, one literary theory book that is being read, three history books which will be read when I've reached that period in my history reading (I read history in roughly four year cycles), and one mystery from a series I've liked but rarely get around to reading. I've since reluctantly decided that it's not worth continuing to collect such series.

I've successfully managed to avoid buying a number of other books by checking the library first.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #5197
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Five books bought this year,
One natural history book that's been read, one literary theory book that is being read, three history books which will be read when I've reached that period in my history reading (I read history in roughly four year cycles), and one mystery from a series I've liked but rarely get around to reading. I've since reluctantly decided that it's not worth continuing to collect such series.
Oh, I hear this. One of my biggest mistakes in the unlimited 90% off Kobo coupons days was stocking up mystery titles. Most will never be read; my tastes have changed. At least the outlay wasnít ruinous, but itís still money wasted and a powerful lesson about not buying for the future.

I also read a lot of history and I admit Iím dying of curiosity about the titles youíve bought, but obviously you have no need to share if youíd rather not!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #5198
ekbell
Evangelist
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The history books are Red Land, Black Land by Barbara Mertz (ancient egyptian culture), A Woman in the Shadow of the Second World War (a diary by a woman interested in contemporary events ) and Ships, Clocks and Stars: The Quest for Longitude .

I`m currently reading about Late Antiquity so it's going to be a bit but they'll be read or at least consulted in due time (knock wood).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:49 AM   #5199
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Kindle Paperwhite
Eeks, just checked my Amazon account, 2020: 50 new books bought already, i am hopeless
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #5200
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Eeks, just checked my Amazon account, 2020: 50 new books bought already, i am hopeless
It's worth considering how long it will take you to read the books you've bought this year. And if it's longer than this year, consider which you're going to be reading this year, and next time, don't buy the books you're not going to read 'soon'.

If they've come on special offer once, they're likely to do so again.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #5201
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Are you reading those books or is Mount TBR growing? If you are keeping up with reading your purchases, I don't see a problem. If you are simply adding to a massive TBR list, you might want to consider pruning your purchases to those that you will read in the near future.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #5202
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
The history books are Red Land, Black Land by Barbara Mertz (ancient egyptian culture), A Woman in the Shadow of the Second World War (a diary by a woman interested in contemporary events ) and Ships, Clocks and Stars: The Quest for Longitude .

I`m currently reading about Late Antiquity so it's going to be a bit but they'll be read or at least consulted in due time (knock wood).
Thank you! The WWII diary is of particular interest to me and Iíd not heard of it.

Coincidentally, Iíve also been in an Ancient phase since last year, Iím in the process of segueing from the Greeks to the Romans. Late antiquity is still on the horizon. However, I jump around a lot and read different eras altogether concurrently. Last year it included Germany between the Treaty of Versailles and VE-Day and Iím still pursuing that also.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #5203
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you! The WWII diary is of particular interest to me and Iíd not heard of it.

Coincidentally, Iíve also been in an Ancient phase since last year, Iím in the process of segueing from the Greeks to the Romans. Late antiquity is still on the horizon. However, I jump around a lot and read different eras altogether concurrently. Last year it included Germany between the Treaty of Versailles and VE-Day and Iím still pursuing that also.
Is Mary Beard's SPQR in your future?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #5204
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you reading those books or is Mount TBR growing? If you are keeping up with reading your purchases, I don't see a problem. If you are simply adding to a massive TBR list, you might want to consider pruning your purchases to those that you will read in the near future.
Thanks, your comment is helpful. I have one credit at Audible before I quit until November. I could use it to get 2 audiobooks that I may or may not read this year or just pre-order the next Dresden Files, which will be read this year, and call it a day. Makes that hesitation easier.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #5205
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Is Mary Beard's SPQR in your future?
Itís already loaded onto my Kobo. Do you recommend it?