Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #46
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I gave my Voyage to a college student, bought an Oasis 3 and promptly sent it back. I'm quite happy with my PW4. I have no idea what the babble about "faded text" is all about. My text is fine and I'm half blind. Two things I like with the PW4 over the PW3 is much faster charging and waterproofing.

I've never used the Bluetooth. If I were to want to listen to a book I'd probably use my phone. I'm not delicate and have no need or desire for colored lights on my Kindle. I would like to see the system font have an option for slightly larger. As I said, "I'm half blind."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #47
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I gave my Voyage to a college student, bought an Oasis 3 and promptly sent it back. I'm quite happy with my PW4. I have no idea what the babble about "faded text" is all about. My text is fine and I'm half blind. Two things I like with the PW4 over the PW3 is much faster charging and waterproofing.
I've read a number of complaints about the PW4 having lower contrast than the PW3, giving the effect of faded text. Also, I don't need waterproofing, as I never read in the bath. I prefer raised bezels but the PW4 has a flush screen. For these reasons I wasn't keen on purchasing a PW4 but prefered a PW3. All I really wanted was the increased screen resolution.

What did you dislike about the Oasis 3? The sheer cost of that makes it a reader I'd never consider.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well it arrived. The screen is unscratched, although the bezel shows signs of wear (minor marks) but I have put it in a case which covers the bezel. TBH I can't tell the difference between the screen resolution when compared with the PW2, which is a bit disappointing.

The worst things about it is that either the seller, or the previous user, has deleted the dictionary.
Does anyone know where I can download the Oxford English Dictionary, the one normally used for UK English on a kindle? Will it be expensive?

Also, how to I roll back the firmware? Using custom fonts is important to me and I've read that later firmwares don't handle them well. The version on the PW3 is 5.12.3 and I'd like it to have the same as my PW2 which is 5.9.7. How can I do this? Is it possible?

A very minor issue: the home page. I had the same problem when I first received the PW2 but can't remember how I switched it off. I don't like the way it opens with YOUR LIBRARY and YOUR READING LISTS and FIND YOUR NEXT GREAT READ. The reader will always be in aeroplane mode, so I'd just like it to open with a list view of my books. I already have the List View, but it's the second 'page' after I click MY LIBRARY.

At the moment it just has one book on it: The User's Guide. I'll load up some public domain books. Once I'm certain I'll keep it (I probably will,) I'll pop over to a friend's to register it.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The worst things about it is that either the seller, or the previous user, has deleted the dictionary.
Does anyone know where I can download the Oxford English Dictionary, the one normally used for UK English on a kindle? Will it be expensive?
When you go to use the dictionary, it will download automatically from Amazon's servers. Or you can copy it from another Kindle if you can't access Amazon's servers for some reason. (The dictionaries from Amazon use a a special DRM key that is known by all Kindles.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The dictionary should download after you register your PW. If not, you can download and transfer it via USB from your account. (Dictionaries are part of your Kindle content and you can always download them again from your Your content and devices page).

As to the homescreen, it can be switched on and off in the settings.

It's not possible to roll back the firmware, AFAIK.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #51
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When you go to use the dictionary, it will download automatically from Amazon's servers. Or you can copy it from another Kindle if you can't access Amazon's servers for some reason. (The dictionaries from Amazon use a a special DRM key that is known by all Kindles.)
When I use my friend's wifi to register it, I'll also try to look up a word in order to download the dictionary. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:10 PM   #52
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The dictionary should download after you register your PW. If not, you can download and transfer it via USB from your account. (Dictionaries are part of your Kindle content and you can always download them again from your Your content and devices page).

As to the homescreen, it can be switched on and off in the settings.

It's not possible to roll back the firmware, AFAIK.
I've just checked in my PW2 and noticed that there are Advanced Options which the PW3 doesn't have. Perhaps these will appear after registration. It's under the Advanced Options that I found the ability to turn off the home screen.

I'm sure I've read somewhere, maybe in the Developer's subforum, that firmware can be rolled back. I'll have to look for it.

Just wanted to let you know how the purchase turned out.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Also, how to I roll back the firmware? Using custom fonts is important to me and I've read that later firmwares don't handle them well. The version on the PW3 is 5.12.3 and I'd like it to have the same as my PW2 which is 5.9.7. How can I do this? Is it possible?
Before you attempt to rollback the firmware,install the font you want to use and try it to see if the fonts work. If they do work, then there is no need to rollback the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #54
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you attempt to rollback the firmware,install the font you want to use and try it to see if the fonts work. If they do work, then there is no need to rollback the firmware.
I'll try this with a couple of fonts. I've read elsewhere on mobileread that 5.12.3 is particularly awkward with custom fonts and causes frequent crashes when using them. There is another thread (started by someone else) about this and they did manage to roll back the firmware by somehow changing the numbers. (I see that you've commented on that thread to the same effect.)

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If there was a new PW, the only thing different I could see would be a 7" screen.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #56
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I've just checked in my PW2 and noticed that there are Advanced Options which the PW3 doesn't have. Perhaps these will appear after registration. It's under the Advanced Options that I found the ability to turn off the home screen.

I'm sure I've read somewhere, maybe in the Developer's subforum, that firmware can be rolled back. I'll have to look for it.
As you figured, the Advanced Options menu is only available after registration.

You need to be jailbroken in order to rollback firmware or physically pry open the PW3 and do it via serial.

Unfortunately, there's no way to jailbreak the PW3 with 5.12.3 easily so you're a bit out of luck in this case.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #57
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm one of those who doesn't want a larger screen for a paperwhite - or at least, give us an option of two models for those who prefer the screen size as it is now and those who want larger. I'm expecting it to have the color light temperature when the next release comes out, but again who knows when that will be.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #58
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm one of those who doesn't want a larger screen for a paperwhite - or at least, give us an option of two models for those who prefer the screen size as it is now and those who want larger. I'm expecting it to have the color light temperature when the next release comes out, but again who knows when that will be.
Whenever it is released, I think it's a must that the next Paperwhite has a 'comfortlight'. Maybe there will be a new model, cheaper than the Oasis, that is a little bigger for those who want it, but the Paperwhite seems aimed at the 6" market.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I do think if Amazon was to bring out a new PW with a 7" screen that the PW4 would also remain. But I doubt there would be such as there is already the Oasis 3 with a 7" screen.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #60
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
I think unless https://eink.com/modules.html release any new display panels beyond the old Carta 1.2 ones, the only new Kindles we'll see will have frippery like tinted backlights and daylight sensors. The technology just doesn't seem to have improved much in recent years.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new release, paperwhite