Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Question anomaly in synchronizing reader and libraries

Hi Kovid, I have a small question:

Having a pre-virtual library installment, I have multiple calibre libraries, one per book language (German, English, French, etc.).

It happens sometimes that I have a certain book available in more than 1 language (hence also present in multiple libraries), but I place only 1 particular language on my e-reader at a time.

When I select a certain library and then connect my e-reader synchronization takes place as it should.

Now, I noticed that, when in all (language) libraries the book also has the same title (yes, this happens...), synchronizing my e-reader results in a hit with ALL libraries in which the book is present, although the book (language) is different for all but 1 library.

Apparently during the synchronization the book language meta-data is not taken into account.

As I do consider to migrate to virtual libraries, what will happen then when I synchronize with my e-reader? Are books with identical titles but in different languages actual possible to synchronize and can calibre tell which book (language) really is present on the e-reader and which others are not?

Last edited by DrChiper; 05-16-2013 at 08:41 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no synchronization, simply an on device indication. That indication is based on the following criteria:

A book in the library is said to match a book on the device when:

1) The internal calibre library uuid matches
or
2) The metadata (title/authors) matches

If you have multiple books with the same title/author, they might well match multiple times, this is fairly harmless, since calibre does not actually do anything with the on device status, other than display it. So you will simply get multiple books being marked as on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks for the clarification Kovid.

That said, what will happen if a book is said to be present on the e-reader (according calibre) and I want to send the same kind of book (same title/author, but with different language, hence other internal calibre library uuid) to the e-reader? Will calibre just allow this?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes .
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

I'm sorry to say, but it does not work.
I just tried to add a book with the same title/author (but different uid) and different language to the e-reader and the already existing book is +replaced+ by the new one. So it seems that it is not possible to have +both+ books present via calibre on the e-reader.

Of course, I can add the extra book outside calibre, but that is not what I want (missing collection info, etc.).

Possibly there is some workaround?
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Place the two books in different subfolders on the device, or give the books different filenames. If the two books have the same filename and are placed in the same folder, then obviously one of them will overwrite the other.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Change the template for send to device to include the language field. Or give them different titles.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish

Hmm, although it is currently not a problem as I'm using separate libraries, it will be a problem when using one monolithic library and virtual libraries.

I see the following issues:
  1. Adding books
    to allow same title/author books with different language, calibre must store them separately (per language), hence:
    calibre preferences -> Adding books -> Automerge added books -> Create new record for each duplicate format
  2. calibre database
    add extra column with language indication for quick detection
  3. sending to e-reader
    adjust plugin reader to have output file name now to include "languages"

This will cover everything sufficiently I think.

Unfortunately, "languages" does not appear in the "sending books to devices" variables list.
Will it then work with the plug-in directly?

Last edited by DrChiper; 05-16-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can use languages, it just isn't listed in the help list.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Duplicate book entries in calibre is not a problem. Every book has a unique numeric ID added to the folder name, so there is no danger for any book overwriting another in the calibre database or in the calibre folder tree.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
DrChiper
Bookish

Thanks Kovid, works fine!
And "languages" produced a nice 3 char abbreviation (I feared for the long version)

@Adoby: correct. But when adding books calibre uses file name and/or some metadata to determine whether the book is already present. And as calibre seems not to use dc:language it is not able to distinguish similar books with only different language.

Last edited by DrChiper; 05-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.