Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
284984 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How does uploading your own documents work?

I currently have Kindle Desktop open and I'm really pleasantly surprised by how full-featured it is. I've been looking for a desktop reader with a similar feature set and I'm considering moving my whole book system to Kindle. I'm hoping people here will be able to answer some questions and maybe save me making a mistake.

I want to use Kindle Desktop as my principal reading experience. The eReader will get pretty casual use and I also want the option to read on my phone. I use Calibre. I won't be putting anything like my entire library into Kindle's ecosystem. I use EPUBs (which Calibre can convert) and fully OCR PDFs. I want to use Kindle's software and cloud to manage the device, not connect the device to Calibre via wi-fi/USB.

I can't use Send to Kindle yet because I don't have a device registered. What counts as a device here? Can I not make Kindle Desktop my device?

If I buy a device that will enable this and use Send to Kindle to send a book there, will it be visible in Kindle Desktop or Kindle iOS? Is everything including progress and highlights synced back and forth?

How are uploaded documents made second-class citizens in the Kindle ecosystem? Will I be able to highlight all formats across all devices? Are they kept in a different part of the UI?
284984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
I'm not at my desktop ATM so I can't give exact specifics, but:

Send to Kindle adds your document to Amazon's "cloud," and the document will be visible on Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS, but it will not be visible on Kindle for PC. Kindle for PC doesn't count as a device. To add a document to Kindle for PC, you need to open each document in the Kindle for PC program itself. However, doing so will not add the document to the Amazon "cloud."

So, if you want a document available on both Kindle for Android/iOS and Kindle for PC, use Send to Kindle and open the document in Kindle for PC.

Last edited by Apparition B5; 11-27-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
284984 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
It looks like Kindle Desktop only lets you import PDFs, not reflowable formats.

Edit - It does if I go through Open With.

I'm an academic and what's really important to me is highlighting and adding notes. That's why a fully integrated cross-platform cloud ecosystem with those features would prompt me changing to Kindle.

So far that part isn't looking promising.

Last edited by 284984; 11-27-2017 at 02:45 PM.
284984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not aware of any program called "Kindle Desktop" (unless it's something new?). Are you referring to Kindle for PC?

You can certainly read Mobi/KF8-format books using K4PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Save the Mobi/KF8-format book to your My Kindle Content directory. It should be visible when you restart Kindle for PC.

Last edited by Shad Plante; 11-27-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not aware of any program called "Kindle Desktop" (unless it's something new?). Are you referring to Kindle for PC?

You can certainly read Mobi/KF8-format books using K4PC.
Yes, but notes and highlights won't be shared with other devices from K4PC.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes, but notes and highlights won't be shared with other devices from K4PC.
True. I was simply commenting on the statement that:

Quote:
It looks like Kindle Desktop only lets you import PDFs, not reflowable formats.
The OP had not stated that sharing notes and highlights was a requirement at the time I wrote that message.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote