Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Immersion Reading Bug 5.4.0.0

I normally use my Fire Phone but I know I have use the KF6 before to immersion read but maybe not with the latest firmware. I'm trying to read and listen but the silly device keeps going to sleep every five minutes. Argh!

Is there some new setting to stop this?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I normally use my Fire Phone but I know I have use the KF6 before to immersion read but maybe not with the latest firmware. I'm trying to read and listen but the silly device keeps going to sleep every five minutes. Argh!

Is there some new setting to stop this?

Sent from my XT1528
Have you checked your settings?

It seems the Universe doesn't want you playing with Fire this month. (Best explanation I've got.)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked everything the silly thing goes to sleep every five minutes. I can set it for later then five but I've never had this issue before. I mean the pages are being turn by the software. It should stay awake but it isn't. I have to keep touching the screen which causes the page to zoom out because if I touch by the edge it will turn the page and mess up the audio.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I checked everything the silly thing goes to sleep every five minutes. I can set it for later then five but I've never had this issue before. I mean the pages are being turn by the software. It should stay awake but it isn't. I have to keep touching the screen which causes the page to zoom out because if I touch by the edge it will turn the page and mess up the audio.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It's the Universe. Shut down all Fires for 24 hours. Maybe then they will play nice again.
I wish I had a solution for you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is a 5.4.0.1 update.

I don't think I've had this problem and have been using immersion reading a lot lately. But it is possible I have not gone full 5 minutes (current setting) without touching it for some reason or other. I think it does go off after 5 minutes of TTS. But I would need to test to be sure of either 'finding'. But these are for a Fire HD7 (2017).

I have not used my HD6 in awhile, I don't know if it was different, but I remember increasing screen timeout so it wouldn't turn off so soon when doing TTS, and turned on a Developer Option so it would stay awake while charging.

How are your Maximize Battery Life settings? I have Low Power Mode off. If that's on, perhaps it is more aggressive about turning off display.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I haven't got the update yet. I so hope it fixes it. They are all the same firmware so I don't think make and model would matter too much but it's only the Kindle app doing this. I can read on other apps no time out.

I don't have any battery saving options on.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The update will not help.

My experiment results (with screen timeout at default 5 minutes):

- verified screen locks after 5 minutes when device isn't 'active'
- screen locks after about 9 minutes when doing TTS, Immersion Reading, or when using Screen Reader to read continuous text
- can reset timeout by swiping up from bottom (or from top) to reveal system controls (which autohide after a few seconds), tap center to reveal reading controls (and again to hide them), or adjust volume with volume controls, headset or keyboard volume buttons.

If you turn on Developer Options you can turn on Stay Awake and it will not lock when it is plugged in.

But it would be nice if there were at least an option to prevent screen lock when 'active reading' is engaged, if they don't want to make that the default behavior. It doesn't lock the screen when using Word Runner, or watching video, for example, and this should be the same.

I have other issues with Immersion Reading: 'play' sometimes engages TTS instead (even when audiobook companion is downloaded), switching to audio player while listening brings up annoying go to location dialog. I'd like to have access to reading speed and sleep timer settings without having to go to full player screen.

And for TTS, I'd like headset/keyboard play/pause button to function.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thank you for thoroughly testing it for me. It makes me so glad I have my Fire Phone which actually works without any problems.

Do you know I can't even get x-ray to work on the KF6. Maybe I'm overlooking something but I've yet to find it. Works fine on my Fire Phone.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for thoroughly testing it for me. It makes me so glad I have my Fire Phone which actually works without any problems.

Do you know I can't even get x-ray to work on the KF6. Maybe I'm overlooking something but I've yet to find it. Works fine on my Fire Phone.

Sent from my XT1528
I have (or had last time I tried) the same issues with Immersion Reading on my Fire Phone (stupid 'go to location' pop ups when switching modes, frequently engages TTS instead of immersion) that I have on my HD8 (2017), and it doesn't support the typography improvements, page flip, or pop up footnotes. I have to Sync reading position explicitly or it won't pick up the location established on another device. And it is sad they never fixed Scroll mode, which remains all but unusable (and can't be used with TTS or Immersion). So I don't read on it any more except when there is no other device available. It was a great bargain when I bought it ($99 plus a year of Prime) but it is getting a little senile and I will be getting an iPhone before too long.

Immersion reading is better with the Android or iOS app, as it all happens within the same app, doesn't have the 'right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing' issues, and removes the companion along with the book when you are done reading (where Fire devices make you remove them separately). The Audible app is better as well (you can mark things as 'read' and filter them out of the library views).

Not sure what is up with X-Ray, works perfectly on my HD8 and pretty sure on my HD6 as well. My HD6 went through a period of weeks/months where it was unable to get component updates (which are not part of System updates, and for which there is no 'manual' procedure to coerce). Page Flip, for example, was not there. Then all of a sudden the component updates started flooding in and have not had issues since (except that performance is poor). So maybe something like that is going on. I'll see what the Kindle app version is running on my HD8 and post that later so you can compare.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Where is x-ray located now? I can't even find the option on the new firmware.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Where is x-ray located now? I can't even find the option on the new firmware.

Sent from my XT1528
Tap page to bring up reading options. On toolbar, from left to right you should see 'Aa', Sharing icon, X-ray icon (rectangle sort of enclosing smaller square with 'x' in it), bookmark icon, and 3-vertical dot 'additional options' menu (Flashcards, Notebook, Word Runner, Word Wise, Additional Settings). X-ray icon will be greyed out if the book does not have X-ray info (or not present if the format doesn't support X-ray).

Amazon Kindle app version is '10.27.146_1201080210' on my Fire HD7 (2017). Hmm, and when I went to System Updates there were 2 'component updates' waiting. No idea which components - or when they would have gotten applied if I hadn't tapped Update.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 AM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My settings are on Never when I listen to audibles or watch a movie. No Problems
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My settings are on Never when I listen to audibles or watch a movie. No Problems
They removed that option. Thirty minutes is the highest.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Tap page to bring up reading options. On toolbar, from left to right you should see 'Aa', Sharing icon, X-ray icon (rectangle sort of enclosing smaller square with 'x' in it), bookmark icon, and 3-vertical dot 'additional options' menu (Flashcards, Notebook, Word Runner, Word Wise, Additional Settings). X-ray icon will be greyed out if the book does not have X-ray info (or not present if the format doesn't support X-ray).

Amazon Kindle app version is '10.27.146_1201080210' on my Fire HD7 (2017). Hmm, and when I went to System Updates there were 2 'component updates' waiting. No idea which components - or when they would have gotten applied if I hadn't tapped Update.
Okay for some reason it's not working. It's greyed out. However the same book works fine on the Fire Phone.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try that at least you only have to re-activate every 30 mins instead of every 5 mins
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote