Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Send to kindle flaws or restrictions?

I have sent several documents using the send to kindle feature.

I generally send EPUB files most of them work, but occasionally a few don’t. They are within the size limit of AMAZON’s restriction of 200 MB. Anyone know why I cannot send these other files I get a fail to send. All the time.

Are they not allowing certain books to be transferred?
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the most part, the only epubs I've seen rejected have errors in them. You can use epubcheck (standalone if you are familiar with running Java .jar files or from Sigil or calibre's ebook editor where epubcheck is an optional plugin).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2023, 04:59 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Azw3 via USB works better. Or epub2 to Amazon's KDP.
They are fussier about the epubs than elsewhere, they should have working TOC UTF8 and pass both Checkbook (ladybug) and EpubCheck (tick) in Calibre Editor. It can also verify all TOC have destinations.

Also elephant in the room is security & privacy. No business should use it. What does Amazon do with the stuff? What security? It's a great temptation to scan the docs and profile users.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-03-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #4
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Also elephant in the room is security & privacy. No business should use it. What does Amazon do with the stuff? What security? It's a great temptation to scan the docs and profile users.
I wondered about that. Are they looking at what I’m uploading and denying certain titles? I guess only Amazon can tell me that. I have several epubs that I purchased from Sony years (over a decade) ago when I was using their PRS-505 series.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I wondered about that. Are they looking at what I’m uploading and denying certain titles? I guess only Amazon can tell me that. I have several epubs that I purchased from Sony years (over a decade) ago when I was using their PRS-505 series.
they may look in terms of advertising more than anything. to make a buck. thats not based on experience. only reason i use it. as usb ports only last so long before they stop working. some of mine on my laptop have stopped. dont want them all to stop
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2023, 03:25 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Very very doubtful
Much more likely is that there is some flaw in the epub that causes Amazon's conversion to fail. You could do all the epub check things with calibre tools,
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Could converting to a different format then back to epub cure the faults?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Early on, when a lot of my epubs were being rejected, I found that converting to docx and then sending the docx worked reliably--I got no rejections.

I haven't had much trouble wiht epubs recently so I no longer automatically convert to docx and send the docx.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Could converting to a different format then back to epub cure the faults?
yes

and does not have to be to something different, even:

convert epub to epub in calibre is my go to fix for headscratching glitches.
it seems to fix all sorts of coding and structure issues

others say that is overkill but works for me,

alternatively you can use the modify epub plug in or the polish feature in calibre. that also does a great job e.g. it puts a well formatted cover where kobo expects to find it, repairs a TOC [ my fav feature]....

id do a cross format convert only if truly desparate, and use a downgrade to somthing simpler - like epub to mobi then back again
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:43 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Send to Kindle web is failing on a large-ish (60 MB) ePub (Complete Works of H. G. Wells from DelphiClassics). It passes epubcheck, opens without issue with Apple Books, and imports successfully to Kindle Previewer 3. Too large for email or the Send To Kindle app.

I looked at the source, it looks pretty clean to me. Edit Book check complains about using named entities and CYMK color space. But these are not going to trip up S2K service. I had it remove unused CSS rules and fix a spine issue; trying to send again.

[update: Nope, failed again. Took about 50 minutes to fail, maybe it's just timing out.]

KP3 took awhile to 'index' (about 3 minutes), whatever that does. Obviously it has a very large TOC.

What is 'polish feature in calibre'? I see a plugin for it, but how to apply it?

Last edited by tomsem; 02-05-2023 at 06:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #11
jonesb
jonesb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v 3.4.2
Sending Calibre epubs to Kindle App on iPad Air

Hi:

I am getting ready for when my trusty Kindle dies and I need to read ebooks on an iPad. I have been trying mightily to send the books from Calibre by email using the Kindle special email address. Nothing works and I have set up email with port number and other needed settings in Amazon etc. Always my email is rejected, the latest being that Kindle seems to blacklist any IPs my email server is using. I have not tried "GMX" yet.

Is a correct step by step set of instructions to do this available? Especially the ebook email settings in Calibre before trying.

Thanks

ps This is only my second posting in this forum as I have been using Calibre for a long time with excellent results.
jonesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #12
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb View Post
Hi:

I am getting ready for when my trusty Kindle dies and I need to read ebooks on an iPad. I have been trying mightily to send the books from Calibre by email using the Kindle special email address. Nothing works and I have set up email with port number and other needed settings in Amazon etc. Always my email is rejected, the latest being that Kindle seems to blacklist any IPs my email server is using. I have not tried "GMX" yet.

Is a correct step by step set of instructions to do this available? Especially the ebook email settings in Calibre before trying.

Thanks

ps This is only my second posting in this forum as I have been using Calibre for a long time with excellent results.

So you are sending books from Calibre to the Kindle app on your iPad. If I understand correctly, those e-mails are being rejected. My recollection is that when you use that approach, you receive an e-mail from Amazon asking that you confirm that you want the e-book transferred to your device, and you must respond by clicking an active link in the e-mail. Are you seeing those confirmation e-mails?

Another concern: what is the format of the material you are trying to transfer? Amazon recently stopped transferring mobi files.

There are some alternative things you can try.

First, are you able to receive e-mails from other sources on the iPad? If not, you need to resolve that matter first. As to the Amazon setup - I don't think you need to do anything there. Amazon assigns the e-mail address for each Kindle device and app, and you don't need to change it. And trying to change it may introduce problems.

Second, it's helpful to identify where the Calibre library is stored on your computer. Once you know that, you have access to the e-book files and can transfer them using one of the other 'send to Kindle' options. They include:
  • Generating a traditional e-mail (from whatever e-mail client you normally use), and attaching the e-book file.
  • Downloading and installing Amazon's 'send to Kindle' app on your computer. You can then 'drag and drop' the e-book file into the app for transfer to your iPad Kindle app.
  • There is also an Amazon 'send to kindle' drag and drop web site that you can access with a browser.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Of the methods listed above I think the send to kindle web page is the best and easiest to use. It supports books of up to 200MB (email is limited to 50MB) and has a progress indicator that shows the processing of you book by Amazon’s servers.

One downside of using the iOS app for personal documents is that it does not support KF8 (azw3) format so books will be delivered by Amazon in the less capable MOBI format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #14
jonesb
jonesb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v 3.4.2
"Send to Kindle" App

Well, thank you. That worked!

But .......................

All the apostrophes and quote marks are trashed in the Kindle Read App. I recall this happened before when the email directly out of Calibre worked.

This is a font encode issue. Can you tell me what to change and where to restore the apostrophe and quotes.

Another thank you .......................
jonesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #15
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb View Post
Well, thank you. That worked!

But .......................

All the apostrophes and quote marks are trashed in the Kindle Read App. I recall this happened before when the email directly out of Calibre worked.

This is a font encode issue. Can you tell me what to change and where to restore the apostrophe and quotes.

Another thank you .......................
The simplest way is to install the "Modify ePub" plug in, then apply it with the "Encode HTML in UTF-8" item checked.

This will stay checked, so you can select a book, invoke the plugin and hit return after the first time.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote