Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you classify folklore, mythology, and legends?
Fiction 9 39.13%
Nonfiction 2 8.70%
Other 4 17.39%
It depends 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2023, 06:38 PM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I don't know how I'd categorize the Iliad and the Odyssey. It's not entirely fact, it's not entirely fiction.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #17
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I voted "Other" as in my filing system I have a section for "Myths and Fairy Tales". So that includes fairy tale collections - Hans Andersen, Lord Dunsany, James Stephens etc, and also books about myths and fairy tales such as Marina Warner's Once Upon A Time.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #18
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Since the earliest days of Calibre, I tried different ways of classifications including Dewey. Re-worked my library choices and decisions many times and gradually found the formula's that suit me and looks nice.

I settled for Erotica | Fiction | Nonfiction | Religion

Everything I collect sits neatly underneath these 4 as sub-genres.

A sample erotica tag is-
*Reading comfort: Adult PLUS themed; Erotica; LGBTQ +, adventures, fiction, historical fiction, lesbian fiction, romance (these lines in the library are in red and alerts the typical reader that doesn't like to confront hard core sexual references)

male/female relationships fit nicely in regular reading fiction

A sample fiction tag for the series: A Witch P.I. Mystery is-
contemporary, cozy, detectives, familiars, female, female sleuths, fiction, humor, magic, mysteries, paranormal, private detectives, supernatural, who-done-it, witch detectives, witch mysteries, witches

A sample nonfiction tag-
art, birds, coloring books, crafts, hobbies, nonfiction, U. S. birds
I've placed even cartoon coloring books beneath nonfiction because its part of arts, crafts, hobbies, etc.

A sample religion tag-
Religions are that. Every culture has belivers in 'their' faith.

Therefore, Christian, Hindus, Mythologies, Shamanism, Wiccan, whatever, for me fits here.

As far as how I classify folklore, mythology, and legends...

mythology in- religion

folklore and legends: UFO's, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, the Virgina Mothman, etc... in nonfiction as studies in-, unless it's a fictional story line.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:21 PM   #19
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Dewey Decimal, LCC, and keywords, either genre specific (Space Opera, LoTR) or subject matter specific (GDPR, Electric Universe) are the way I go.

Novels can get Dewey Decimal Numbers. I started cataloging the _Virgin River_ series, but ended up binge-reading them. (How much did Robyn Carr & Debbie Macomber collaborate --- Jack also pops in either _Cedar Cove_ or _Rose Harbor_. )

I don't use fiction or non-fiction tags.
They are utterly meaningless terms.

"Based on a true story". What was taken from that true-life scenario? A plot line and, maybe, a plot device.

"This is a work of fiction", except twenty years later it was used as the basis for an unsuccessful battle plan. In the book, the side that was attacked lost both that battle, and the war.

_The Defense of Duffer's Drift_ is a great example of where the fiction/non-fiction becomes absurd. Military strategy for the platoon leader. Six dreams, on how to prevent the Boers from overwhelming the platoon, and taking the drift. Anybody having to defend a natural landmark, who doesn't take the lessons within that book into account, has a good chance of losing that landmark.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote