Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #31
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I remember the twitter tagline "reinventing storytelling."

Hitch
Using technology for a solution to a problem that doesn't need it.

Where I worked we had departments that needed an inventory system and they could have used Excel or Access, but no, the managers wanted us to write a web application for them.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Using technology for a solution to a problem that doesn't need it.

Where I worked we had departments that needed an inventory system and they could have used Excel or Access, but no, the managers wanted us to write a web application for them.
Yeah, that book had to cost...at least 2 grand to produce, if not 3x that. They really went to town on all the multimedia "solutions" that The App Formerly Known as iBooks used to offer. They linked "songs" (I distinctly recall a Coldplay tune, that was allegedly one character's favorite song...) with links to buy it in the iTunes store; links to shoes that the character wore, like Jimmy Choos, with, yes, more links to buy.

Honestly, the whole damn thing was basically an advertisement, done up in a costume as a book. You know what it reminded me of? Product Placement in movies. That was the feeling I had, most strongly, when I endeavored to read it. Like trying to read a Yellow Pages, with a plot propped up around it.

You had to turn all the adverts, songs, links, etc., "off" when you wanted to simply sit down and read.

And of course, they designed it for the platform that had the fewest eBook sales, in terms of "the Big Three," being Amazon, B&N and Apple. The thing couldn't work anyplace else.

(SMH)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I threw a book in the bin once because every time (not just the first time) you met a character in the story it listed all the branded clothes they wore. I didn't read far enough to see if the author did it with underwear too. I imagine it did. And ALL the clothes and accessories were Brands.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I threw a book in the bin once because every time (not just the first time) you met a character in the story it listed all the branded clothes they wore. I didn't read far enough to see if the author did it with underwear too. I imagine it did. And ALL the clothes and accessories were Brands.
Good thing you weren't reading this on your iPad, then! :-)

Hitch
Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My daughter once, about five years ago, said she nearly threw her kindle at the wall when she read a book I asked her to check out.
"Did Snoopy write the ending?"
Old 11-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
My daughter once, about five years ago, said she nearly threw her kindle at the wall when she read a book I asked her to check out.
Oh, thanks, bro. Now I have the Snoopy song in my head. (Da-da-da-da-dah!)

Hitch
Old 11-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
How often did Snoopy ever get past "It was a dark and stormy night"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snoopy_dark_and_stormy_night.png
Views:	174
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	183238  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There was one where he wrote the ending. It's paper, and would take a while to search! We have all of them.

I searched the Internet!
I found this, but I KNOW, it's not the story ending we remember where Snoopy ties up ALL the loose ends.
http://ronaldbrichardson.com/metafic...-stormy-night/

Best Advice. Cut that epilogue and use it as the summary for the sequel(s).

Last edited by Quoth; 11-06-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: A thought!
Old 11-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And of course, they designed it for the platform that had the fewest eBook sales, in terms of "the Big Three," being Amazon, B&N and Apple. The thing couldn't work anyplace else.

(SMH)

Hitch
I'm going to say you did make a mistake. B&N does not belong in your list. Kobo belongs instead of B&N.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm going to say you did make a mistake. B&N does not belong in your list. Kobo belongs instead of B&N.
Jon, dear, I was speaking historically, was I not? At the time, yes (and for that matter, probably YET still), B&N was outselling KoboBooks and additionally, it was US-based.

Nonetheless and regardless, it's entirely possible that B&N is still outselling B&N. The fact that the (relatively minuscule) reading community on MR doesn't like B&N anymore, because they can no longer crack the DRM, affects very few of the core eReading people out there, who click, buy, book magically goes to device, read and never bother to remove DRM.

Would you like me to tell you, of the 6K eBooks we've done, at my shop, for just under 5K customers, exactly how many even knew how to side-load the eBook to their own Kindles, much less do anything else?

I can count the number on my digits. Don't assume that what MRers think has any basis or relationship to the general "real world" of ebook buyers out there. Or what you think, for that matter. It doesn't. People will continue to do absolutely ANYTHING as long as it's the path of least resistance.

Hitch
Old 11-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The last time I was on vacation, I saw mostly tablets (iPad being number one), followed by Kindles and then Kobo. B&N was the smallest number I saw.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The last time I was on vacation, I saw mostly tablets (iPad being number one), followed by Kindles and then Kobo. B&N was the smallest number I saw.
Jon:

At. The. Time.

Hitch
Old 11-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

This is a useful place.

But it's nothing like the real world.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
This is a useful place.

But it's nothing like the real world.
I'm not even sure I know where we are, any longer.

Hitch
Old 11-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

That's like asking where Asgard, The land of the tall women, the land of the green waves, Tir na óg, Magh Meall, Olympus, Hel's land or Hades is situated.

You travel by portal or something, it might look like a wardrobe, rainbow or Browser window. Location in terms of direction and distance has no meaning. Some of us can get there by reading.