Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Question What case for Note Pro?

Hello,

The case that came with N96ML, the one with a deer etched on the flap and the pen loop attached to the rigid plastic bay, was great and I would like something similar for Note Pro.

From what I have seen there are two types of cases available from Onyx, one with PU leather outer layer and another using fabric. Apart from the pen loop attached to the flap, which is a strange design decision, they seem exactly what I need. Unfortunately, the reviews are not encouraging with buyers complaining about poor quality, the cover cracking, the loop falling off and the case sending the reader to sleep when you flip the cover around to the back of it. All that for just $40

The only alternatives I found were felt sleeves, which I am not too keen on as this kind of case does not seem very convenient to use albeit the at least the price is reasonable, or this Olaike/Ayotu case, if you can call it like that, that you apparently have to glue to the device!

Are the Onyx cases really that bad? Do you know about any other covers that fit the Note Pro? What do you use and is it any good?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #2
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I bought the grey onyx case for my note pro and am very happy with it. No magnet issues and seems quite nice. Works perfectly for me.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
I have the Onyx gray cover and it works very well. I never had the Note Pro fall asleep when foldng the cover
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
vinniec
vinniec began at the beginning.

Device: none
With the reader, I had a grey felt case come out, but I don't like it because I hate felt.
I bought the plastic black book case and I do not feel bad, plus I bought two 1€ ikea trays and I attached them with scotch in the center and now they are the shield of my boox
vinniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

vinniec, can you post a picture of your home made case, please? I'm not sure I would be willing to use sticky tape to build a protective cover for such an expensive device, though Unless you wrapped it around the two trays, and then wrapped across too, but then it would be difficult to open

I bought felt cover from the link above for now. Any protection is better than nothing and it has a loop for the pen which is a plus. But it's not convenient to use and you have to remove that protection when you read which is a massive minus.
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
E_inkFuture
E_inkFuture began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
I have the grey Onyx one as well, it came with it for preordering. At first I thought it was kind of bad/basic, but it's grown on me. Offers good basic protection, the pen loop is definitely handy, and it sleeps like it should when closed.

I use it in combination with the "AmazonBasics Multi-Angle Portable Stand", which I couldn't do without.
E_inkFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_inkFuture View Post
I have the grey Onyx one as well, it came with it for preordering. At first I thought it was kind of bad/basic, but it's grown on me. Offers good basic protection, the pen loop is definitely handy, and it sleeps like it should when closed.

I use it in combination with the "AmazonBasics Multi-Angle Portable Stand", which I couldn't do without.
Same set up here..... happy.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
vinniec

Ok, I'm gonna show you the magnificent high-tech case

Last edited by vinniec; 08-30-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
vinniec

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
vinniec, can you post a picture of your home made case, please? I'm not sure I would be willing to use sticky tape to build a protective cover for such an expensive device, though Unless you wrapped it around the two trays, and then wrapped across too, but then it would be difficult to open
Sincerely the two trays are not "beautiful" to see but they are definitely safe, when I put the reader in the backpack I'm not worried because the trays are rigid.
The only inconvenient thing is if you want to close the trays so that they do not open you have to put the scotch also in the other side, but when I use the trays the reader is always in another bag.
The trays are slightly larger than the reader so you can put it inside with another case like I did (probably also enters the felt one) and/or with some soft padding.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
Drsniper
Drsniper began at the beginning.

So I have ordered the Note Pro 10.3 from Amazon US along with the Boox Folding Case and 5 extra pen nibs I have few questions about the Note Pro 10.3 and the Folding Case. This is the case that I ordered (from Amazon)

https://shop.boox.com/products/boox-...-case-for-10-3

My question regarding this is whether this case has automatic sleep and wake function when I close and open the case cover?

About the tablet itself, my question is about the battery life. I know the Nova Pro has a 2800 mAh battery and the Note Pro has a 4100 mAh battery, so my question is how much battery can I get out of the Note Pro. My main uses would be reading technical PDFs, and taking notes. I will rarely use it for surfing the web or anything demanding (I have an iPad for that).

Thanks.
Drsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
machinogodzilla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniec View Post
Sincerely the two trays are not "beautiful" to see but they are definitely safe
Cool! I may consider this approach for trips on budget flights to protect the reader from squashing by other things stuffed into my backpack (the allowance gets smaller and smaller ). Duct tape definitely makes the 'hinge' strong enough. Perhaps you could glue a strip of velcro to the trays or a hook and loop cord to make a simple latch.

P.S. You may want to make those pictures a little smaller before the mods descend and give you a lecture on the virtues of reading the guidelines for posting on this forum
Old 08-26-2019, 05:54 AM   #12
machinogodzilla
Addict

Meanwhile, I've been test driving the felt from Emmerson Gray folks. Originally I ordered the following design:

The felt is nice and reassuringly thick but I didn't like this big cut-out that exposes a chunk of the screen. Also the fit is quite snug which is good but then you have to grab the reader quite hard to be able to pull it out, it's quite slippery. I actually developed a technique whereby I would simultaneously pinch the felt around the edge on the other side and pull the reader to take it out.

I thought I would share my feedback with them in case they were interested in making what I thought were improvements and sent them the picture below, suggesting a 'push' rather than 'pull' approach - instead of grabbing the reader you could use your finger to push it to dislodge it from the cover and then remove it more easily, while at the same time having the entire area of the reader protected:

To my surprise they replied and even offered to make a bespoke replacement prototype for me, wow!

Below are some pictures of my new sleeve and I am very happy with it. I was worried that this would not work as well as I imagined but I find it much easier to remove the reader now. It still sits in the sleeve securely even after the push but definitely much easier to take it out this way:

Still, not as convenient as a proper cover with a flap but given how reasonably priced these sleeves are, I'm sold. Also this makes you appreciate the reader itself more when you keep it 'naked' while reading I don't think I ever held my N96ML outside of its plastic flap cover and it's actually quite a nice looking and feeling piece of hardware but you never experience that because of the cover.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
Gameboy213
Connoisseur

I have one of these as well and it is quite nice actually. I do like your design suggestion though. Well done! How nice of them to respond and produce one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Meanwhile, I've been test driving the felt from Emmerson Gray folks. Originally I ordered the following design:

The felt is nice and reassuringly thick but I didn't like this big cut-out that exposes a chunk of the screen. Also the fit is quite snug which is good but then you have to grab the reader quite hard to be able to pull it out, it's quite slippery. I actually developed a technique whereby I would simultaneously pinch the felt around the edge on the other side and pull the reader to take it out.

I thought I would share my feedback with them in case they were interested in making what I thought were improvements and sent them the picture below, suggesting a 'push' rather than 'pull' approach - instead of grabbing the reader you could use your finger to push it to dislodge it from the cover and then remove it more easily, while at the same time having the entire area of the reader protected:

To my surprise they replied and even offered to make a bespoke replacement prototype for me, wow!

Below are some pictures of my new sleeve and I am very happy with it. I was worried that this would not work as well as I imagined but I find it much easier to remove the reader now. It still sits in the sleeve securely even after the push but definitely much easier to take it out this way:

Still, not as convenient as a proper cover with a flap but given how reasonably priced these sleeves are, I'm sold. Also this makes you appreciate the reader itself more when you keep it 'naked' while reading I don't think I ever held my N96ML outside of its plastic flap cover and it's actually quite a nice looking and feeling piece of hardware but you never experience that because of the cover.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy213 View Post
I bought the grey onyx case for my note pro and am very happy with it. No magnet issues and seems quite nice. Works perfectly for me.
I have it too, no issues.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
rafail
Enthusiast
rafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolate

Device: Onyx Note
http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...o-not-buy/1635

The same thing happened to me with the same gray cover, so i went back to the old simple cover

https://youtu.be/ZB2C4b4dUNQ ,

without the possibility to use it like an angle stand, but also without magnetic issues for note taking app...

Last edited by rafail; 09-07-2019 at 06:51 AM.
rafail is offline   Reply With Quote