Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #796
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks for the Karma, everyone. Perhaps I should codify this...

Durrant's Law: Any statement in a contentious online discussion is liable to generate a fresh argument.

I agree with you totally except for ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #797
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And maybe if you had said something precisely like that in the very beginning, no one would have taken issue.
Not from my experience on this forum. "Books aren't commodities" - even THAT was a point for debate.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #798
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
This is the original post that touched off the big argument (at least the big argument before the one on whether libraries are charities):
And you have been arguing against it for days. So either you misunderstood the point, or yes, you have been saying that.
Again....that was the RESPONSE post to a direct attack on folks who buy books during the new release window.

And it's TRUE...that folks paying for hard backs during the new release window are generating the lion share of all the revenue a book will generate. It's also true that each person who buys such a book is contributing more to the author than each person who buys a book during the paper back phase, checks the book out from the library, or buys it at a garage sale.

What's NOT true...is that AMONG those who buy a book during the "new release" pricing....paying the ABSOLUTE MOST (full retail) contribute more than someone who buys it on sale as the sale discount is a retailer thing, not an author thing.

But...you know...what's really bugging people is the notion that hunting for books for free or cheap cheap cheap is supporting authors less. But it is. And we all know it. And few care. And that's sad to me.

I don't see books as commodities. I don't support EVERY author I read. I get it. But I realize that there is a relationship between my buying an author's books and their ability to keep writing.

So, all of you who are thrifty should at least appreciate "the rubes" who buy newly published hard back books at "those ridiculous prices". They are subsidizing the books you enjoy. They are the patrons.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #799
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I don't see books as commodities. I don't support EVERY author I read. I get it. But I realize that there is a relationship between my buying an author's books and their ability to keep writing.
How about a dead author? Clearly there is zero relationship between buying one of their books and their ability to keep writing.

Are those books commodities?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #800
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:

So, all of you who are thrifty should at least appreciate "the rubes" who buy newly published hard back books at "those ridiculous prices". They are subsidizing the books you enjoy. They are the patrons.
And there goes the righteousness and patronizing again...

No, I don't appreciate those "rubes", as you call them. I just don't care how much anyone pays. Not at all.

And yes, books are commodities for me personally, no matter how much you argue they aren't. You mean they aren't for you personally. You can't speak for everyone else.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #801
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
And it's TRUE...that folks paying for hard backs during the new release window are generating the lion share of all the revenue a book will generate. It's also true that each person who buys such a book is contributing more to the author than each person who buys a book during the paper back phase, checks the book out from the library, or buys it at a garage sale.
That is absolutely not a fact that can be proven. Per individual? Sure, I give you that since it cannot be argued against. At least for traditional paper. As much as you want it to be true, your gut feeling cannot be proven to be right without facts that nobody has, except the publishers themselves. Repeating it over and over again doesn't make it true either.

ETA: You want a really good example where your theory is dead wrong? Harry Potter 1, 2, and 3. Very low sales at release for each. Then comes Harry Potter 4, and BOOM. The series takes off and starts selling like hot cakes. Including everybody that needs to catch up and get the first three in a hurry. Definitely not in the new release window.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; Yesterday at 09:06 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM   #802
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Not from my experience on this forum. "Books aren't commodities" - even THAT was a point for debate.
I and others indeed regard all or most books as commodities. You don't? That's fine. It's even fine if you want to feel that this somehow makes you superior or deserving of praise. But don't be surprised that others don't agree with you when you choose to signal your perceived virtue.

Quote:
Again....that was the RESPONSE post to a direct attack on folks who buy books during the new release window.

What's NOT true...is that AMONG those who buy a book during the "new release" pricing....paying the ABSOLUTE MOST (full retail) contribute more than someone who buys it on sale as the sale discount is a retailer thing, not an author thing.

But...you know...what's really bugging people is the notion that hunting for books for free or cheap cheap cheap is supporting authors less. But it is. And we all know it. And few care. And that's sad to me.

More chanting with no engagement. I previously posted:

Quote:
If you must stay in the discussion, please stop chanting long enough to engage. Your mantra is obviously true in the case of Indies. Yet you choose to ignore various features of the tradpub market which have been pointed out which make it untrue in the case of most if not all tradpub books. If these features of the market are not accurately described then please point out the inaccuracies. I'd be grateful to have my ignorance cured, if ignorance it is. Just please stop the chanting. It's giving me a headache.
I have enjoyed some of your posts in the past, but am starting to wonder if they are not now better ignored. Please stop repeating your mantra endlessly and engage. Some facts backed up with links and references would be very nice.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote