Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
AliceWonder
Connoisseur
AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ePub from LaTeX

I'm typesetting the printed / PDF version with LaTeX - typesetting software common in the academic world. Plan to use tex4ht to export from LaTeX to HTML and then import into Calibre to properly format it in ePub, imagine I have a lot to learn.

Plan to publish both as ePub w/o DRM and export to Amazon's format, even though I personally am very much opposed to DRM philosophically (pirates always find a way around it, DRM almost always only hurts the honest people)

Probably will buy a kindle device, part of the magazine will have reviews of books in same genre that often are *only* published via Kindle, I won't always be the one writing the review but I at least need to read them so I can make sure the review that has been written is accurate.

Well, thank you ahead of time for the welcome wishes, hopefully what I learn reading here will help me produce the best ePub version of my coming periodical as possible.

I'll be using Calibre to test what I produce, and probably send it to my phone too (Android) to double check it there.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.
AliceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
michal.h21
michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!michal.h21 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Allice, I am tex4ht developer. If you want to produce ePub or Mobi files from LaTeX, you can try tex4ebook, which can produce them directly. It uses tex4ht in the background and apart from automation of the process, it can also include the cover image, document metadata and table of contents from your LaTeX document.
michal.h21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
AliceWonder
Connoisseur
AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal.h21 View Post
Hi Allice, I am tex4ht developer. If you want to produce ePub or Mobi files from LaTeX, you can try tex4ebook, which can produce them directly. It uses tex4ht in the background and apart from automation of the process, it can also include the cover image, document metadata and table of contents from your LaTeX document.
In the LaTeX itself I'm actually usually tocloft to produce several custom tables of contents - one for short stories, one for essays/poems, one for interviews, one for the back pages (content submission guidelines, artistic credit, etc.) and where the content appears is mixed - e.g. an essay may be between two short stories.

So I suspect manual modification of the resulting output will still be necessary, but I will definitely look at tex4ebook. Thank you.
AliceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tex4ebook, tex4ht